Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation What Democrats should do first

Stolen from http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/11/...ems/index.html

I found this article on CNN and I think it is pretty interesting. Here are the responses emailed to CNN. Feel free to comment on the responses or add your own.

(CNN) -- Democrats will be taking control of Congress when the new session begins in January. We asked CNN.com users to tell us what the Democrats' priorities should be. Here is a selection of your e-mails, some of which have been edited for length and clarity.

William Blackerby from Birmingham, Alabama
    1. Press the president to get us out of Iraq as soon as possible. 2.Demand an end to prisoner abuse and torture, and secret prisons. Insist that the Geneva Conventions be completely upheld. 3. Insist that the president mend fences with our traditional allies. 4. Increase the minimum wage. 5. Universal health care for all Americans. 6. See that the rich pay their fair share of the taxes. 7. Encourage the development of alternative fuels. 8. Pardon Third World debt.

David Weuste from Guthrie, Oklahoma
    The Democrats have finally gotten their power and now they need to show the world that they deserved it. First things first, get the world back on our side. Reconnect with our allies and the feelings of the world when it comes to foriegn policy. Work to make visible moves that we are going to leave Iraq, but not in a way that seems like we are deserting a people that we have brought so much destruction to.

Susan Sydnor from Greensboro, North
    Carolina The Democrats MUST come up with and implement a plan to get out of Iraq!

Adam Hall of California, Maryland The Democrats would be wise to not lose sight of internal issues to the United States, specifically raising the minimum wage, finding a better solution for Social Security, cutting pork funding, and creating a surplus in order to deter the massive deficit our country is now facing. The war in Iraq is important, but these issues cannot be cast aside.

Matt Clark from Saint Charles, Missouri
    What should the Democrats do first? Step down. That'd be the only productive thing they are capable of doing to secure America and its future.

Susan Jordan from Roseburg, Oregon
    Besides advising Hillary Clinton not to run in 2008, the Democrats should work across party lines to implement a timed withdrawal from Iraq, then their efforts should be directed toward funding projects to improve the country's aging highway systems, getting rid of the "no child left behind" program, and transferring funding from defense to programs that help the elderly and children to receive proper medical and dental care.

Millisa Bell from Fort Myers, Florida The Democrats should put serious focus on the very real climate change occurring. Otherwise, every other issue we are expending energies on will be moot.

Bartley Guinn from McKinney, Texas
    You have a ton of baby boomers reaching retirement age. They are all saying the same thing. I have paid income tax all of my working life and now I may have to pay income tax on my earned and deserved Social Security benefits. This is absolutely and totally ridiculous. Do something about it and you will get the over 55 vote forever, and there are a lot of us.

Joseph Barrett from Mashpee, Massachusetts
    I want the Democratic Party to thank the voters. I don't want Democrats to forget why they were put into positions of power, however. The voters want the Democrats to hit the ground running; start talking about how we can lower gas prices, how we can begin to leave the Middle East and how we can reunite as a country.

Ted Steinberg from Redwood City, California
    Buy duct tape, put it over their mouths and pray that it holds. Gloating is what Newt Gingrich and his minions did in 1994 after the GOP won. Gloating politicians rarely remember to find humility until the other shoe drops.

Matthew Bedford from Cookeville, Tennessee
    Get rid of the Patriot Act, as well as every other act that restricts freedom in the name of security. Have a House committee go over classified information and declassify anything that is not truly a threat to national security. Challenge the president in a meaningful manner when he invokes terror to pass a bill. Take away the president's ability to wage war as he sees fit. Cut the "defense" budget in half and raise taxes for corporations and the top percent in order to pay America's bills. Stop the politicization of science. Raise environmental standards to those of the rest of the civilized world. Give the president a reprimand at the very least for Iraq. But most of all, second-guess the president to keep our government balanced. It won't make the terrorists win.

Jeffrey Kean from Chicago, Illinois
    I think their first priority must be to root all the remaining vestiges of corruption, even within their own ranks. People need to believe that Congress is working for them, not for the biggest donors. Once this is done, they ideally can move forward in achieving some of the populist goals the party is ostensibly based on

Monte Schatz from Omaha, Nebraska
    My simple advice to any party assuming power is have the courage to reach the middle ground and the pragmatic legislation that reflects the will and values of most of America. Democrats, stop reaching to the far left. Republicans, stop pandering to the far right. The results will be amazing.

Mel Liles from Stockbridge, Georgia
    More than anything else, we need to enact clean money campaigns and put strict limits on the power of corporate lobbyists. Their money has proven to be more powerful than the voice of middle-class working people. If this is made a priority, it will have a domino effect on most other political problems we have.

Farhan Hamlani from Union, New Jersey
    1. Money is one of the most important assets that our government has. So, come up with a strategy to balance the budget and implement it. 2. Formulate a unified strategy on Iraq for stabilization of Iraq and pullout of troops and work with President Bush to implement it. 3. Formulate a sensible policy on immigration and border security. 4. Education, education, education. Come up with a policy that will ensure that Americans are the most well-educated and productive people in the world.

Kevin Regan from Montgomery, Illinois
    1. Make Election Day a national holiday. 2. Start impeachment hearings on Cheney and Bush.

Christopher Ryan from Seattle, Washington
    Do what they say they are going to do, pass the minimum wage, immigration reform and stem cell research for starters. Keep the promises they just made with country.
    Last edited by 'K-; 11-09-2006 at 11:40 PM.

Re: What Democrats should do first

Some of those comments are way out of wack. I agree with the last one in red from Monte Schatz. I think a centrist government could get alot done. Unfortunately in this day and age of partisanship, it won't happen. The country is just way too divided and it will be years before the bitterness subsides.
    Main Rig (BOINC Rig #1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

the old saying is true "United we stand devided we fall"

Go figure

The Democrats should take a look at what they've criticized the GOP on in the way they (GOP) went about things. If the Democrats didn't like the way things were executed, then they need to make sure they don't do that. They need to drop the 'Bush sucks' rhetoric and work with him. Is Bush the greatest president? Of course not, but now that they have some power, they will lose it if they keep that schtick up. Going after Bush will not be the way to go about things if they intend to keep power. At this point, it'd be a wasted effort given he's only got a little over 2 years left. Look at what happened with the Republicans after they attempted to impeach Clinton. The Republicans made some mistakes in the handling of their politics, and hopefully the Democrats will spare the country political BS...but I doubt it. Not because they're Democrats, but because they're politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1974 View Post
    Some of those comments are way out of wack. I agree with the last one in red from Monte Schatz. I think a centrist government could get alot done. Unfortunately in this day and age of partisanship, it won't happen. The country is just way too divided and it will be years before the bitterness subsides.
    However, the silver lining to the infighting will be that not much gets done, which could be a win for us all. But, yeah, both parties will be too busy fighting each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Big B-man View Post
    The Democrats should take a look at what they've criticized the GOP on in the way they (GOP) went about things. If the Democrats didn't like the way things were executed, then they need to make sure they don't do that. They need to drop the 'Bush sucks' rhetoric and work with him. Is Bush the greatest president? Of course not, but now that they have some power, they will lose it if they keep that schtick up. Going after Bush will not be the way to go about things if they intend to keep power. At this point, it'd be a wasted effort given he's only got a little over 2 years left. Look at what happened with the Republicans after they attempted to impeach Clinton. The Republicans made some mistakes in the handling of their politics, and hopefully the Democrats will spare the country political BS...but I doubt it. Not because they're Democrats, but because they're politicians.
    Yes on both counts - what they SHOULD do and what the will LIKELY do.

Look at what happened with the Republicans after they attempted to impeach Clinton. The Republicans made some mistakes in the handling of their politics, and hopefully the Democrats will spare the country political BS...but I doubt it. Not because they're Democrats, but because they're politicians.
    Some mistakes? The GOP tried to impeach Clinton on sexual relations. The Democrats want to impeach Bush for far greater reasons (War and the growing National Debt would be a BIG one).

I don't know about you, but I don't give a •••• if someone's Clinton's ••••. That's his own business. Wasting my tax dollars for a war I don't think we should be in? That's definitely my business.

I just hope those in charge in D.C don't just cut & run.
    In case anyone has forgotten those stinkin' Islamic
    extremists have sworn they want to see the White
    House go up in flames and the more Americans dead
    the better. The Dems better realize this isn't just
    about Iraq, this is a bout OUR very survival. There
    creeps have killed a lot of our people overseas and
    now here right in one of the most popular cities in
    our Nation as well as Pa and D.C.

When it comes to this scum, there should be NO option
    left out from dealing with em. And i mean NONE. Both
    parties and people better realize this comes down to
    us vs them. As the old saying goes, it's better to be
    judged by 12 than carried by 6..The sooner the WH
    and Congress quit their whining and bit*hin' at each
    other and work at destroying these extremists, the
    better chance we have and our future generations
    have of living..Bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav451 View Post
    Some mistakes? The GOP tried to impeach Clinton on sexual relations. The Democrats want to impeach Bush for far greater reasons (War and the growing National Debt would be a BIG one).

I don't know about you, but I don't give a if someone's Clinton's . That's his own business. Wasting my tax dollars for a war I don't think we should be in? That's definitely my business.

Let's assume they would impeach Bush. How long would this time take? Seriously, Bush doesn't have that long left, not to mention he can't run again. Realistically, if they followed through this move, by the time things went through, Bush's term would be almost up anyway. Impeaching Clinton for the Lewinsky thing was a mistake. They should've impeached him for Bosnia, which had no threat whatsoever to the US.
    Secondly, many of the Democrats that would be involved with the impeachment would've voted to let troops go into Iraq. Bush could not have gone there without Congress giving the okay. Secondly, countries like Germany, Britain, France, etc believed Iraq to have WMD's, not to mention George Tennet, who told Bush the information proving this was a slam dunk.
    Bush is apparently a complete idiot, yet he was a mastermind that had a complex plot to lead us into war. Riiiight.

I'm not defending the spending. It's completely outrageous for the GOP to spend like this, especially when they've hammered the Democrats for big spending and big government.

Bush is apparently a complete idiot, yet he was a mastermind that had a complex plot to lead us into war. Riiiight.
    I don't see where the complex plot is coming from. He said there were WMDs. There were none. He was not a mastermind either. I still think he's an idiot, but what can you do? Half the country voted for him. Twice. What is actually more frightening than having Bush at the helm is that so many believed in him as well.

It took 6 years, but at least people are finally changing their minds.
    Last edited by Mav451; 11-12-2006 at 02:26 PM.

What Democrats should do first
    Resign

^^^ Or waterboard Rove until he gives up his secrets.

That guy has to be the most over-rated doer-of-all-things-against-us-genius ever created in the minds of the left.

"Resign"

Yes, those in office before them were doing such a splendid job. You might want to try thinking in a non-partisan way sometime.

You are right I was a bit hasty.

After much careful bipartisan thinking I still think they should resign.

I was listening to some program today on Direct and they
    stated if the Pres had let Sec Rumsfield go a couple
    of months ago, there was a very good chance the
    Dem's wouldn't be in the position they are now..

Ahh, who knows..