Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: speed drop through router

help me out here. are you saying that the 10/100 is not really a 10/100? because i have ordered this router and should be getting it by midweek.

whats the story with that router??
    i had a belkin that i returned.

and while we're at it...some routers have vpn. what in hell is that? i know its like a virtual network.....but....i dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
    help me out here. are you saying that the 10/100 is not really a 10/100? because i have ordered this router and should be getting it by midweek.

The WRT54G is true 100 Mb/s, but the connection will be limited by what your ISP provides.

My old router was a BEFSR41, with a 10 base T WAN side, and 10/100 LAN side. The WRT54G is true 10/100 on both sides. Whether you need more than 10 Mb/sec on the WAN side depends on your ISP. If your broadband service plan provides under 10 Mb/sec download then a BEFSR41 is more than adequate.

and while we're at it...some routers have vpn. what in hell is that? i know its like a virtual network.....but....i dont know.
    VPN is Virtual Private Network. Essentially it's an encrypted secure link between two locations (for example, home and work, or two remote work sites etc) that's created over a public network such as the Internet. Such links are also often referred to a tunnels.

See here for more details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VPN

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    My old router was a BEFSR41, with a 10 base T WAN side, and 10/100 LAN side. The WRT54G is true 10/100 on both sides. Whether you need more than 10 Mb/sec on the WAN side depends on your ISP. If your broadband service plan provides under 10 Mb/sec download then a BEFSR41 is more than adequate.
    i have cable internet with optimum online in nyc.
    how do i find out what my plan provides?
    well, not to be a newbie im assuming i visit the website and check the plans?

but seriously, how do i find out what i actually have?
    when i look at my network connectoin/properties it says
    100Mbps. (although i dont think im getting anything that fast!!!! jeez)
    on the website it says "We've increased the speed of our award winning Optimum Online to 15 Mbps making it 5x faster than DSL. "

the speed tests at cnet.com fluctuate from 2.144Mbps
    and on another site i see
    8,978.9 kbps
    6,737.3 kbps
    9,914.3 kbps

before buying a router how do i know which one will cap my speed?
    i dont want my speed to be capped. i want to be freeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    set me free!!!!!!!!

and i dont want wireless. i want wired router. doesnt have to be lynksys and i really dont want to spend over 50 on it. sheesh is that even possible? man.....thanks for any help even though this wasnt my thread initially. viva amdforums. viva forever!

1. find a router you're interested in that fits your criteria concerning price, etc.
    2. understand that you can always turn off the wireless portion.
    3. download the manual or email tech support to see if the WAN port supports speeds above 10 Mb/s.

I especially like emailing tech support if I've never used a particular brand before so I can see what type of support I can expect should it become necessary at a later point.

i have cable internet with optimum online in nyc.
    how do i find out what my plan provides?
    well, not to be a newbie im assuming i visit the website and check the plans?

but seriously, how do i find out what i actually have?
    when i look at my network connectoin/properties it says
    100Mbps. (although i dont think im getting anything that fast!!!! jeez)
    on the website it says "We've increased the speed of our award winning Optimum Online to 15 Mbps making it 5x faster than DSL. "

the speed tests at cnet.com fluctuate from 2.144Mbps
    and on another site i see
    8,978.9 kbps
    6,737.3 kbps
    9,914.3 kbps

before buying a router how do i know which one will cap my speed?
    i dont want my speed to be capped. i want to be freeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    set me free!!!!!!!!
    My advice is to not buy one that can't handle 100 megabit WAN side capability. You have to look at the specs carefully. That's why I, with sick willy's help, chose the WRT54G. Its definately delivering the speed.

There are MANY speed test sites on the net but only half a handfull that are reliable, consistent, and accurate. One of them is relatively new but excellent in that it jives with the most well established and trusted ones. Try the following sites, and always choose the server closest to your location.

www.speedtest.net
    www.speakeasy.net
    www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I strongly advise making sure that you have Sun's genuine JAVA package installed and macromedia's current flash plug-in. You may also gain some speed by using firefox instead of IE.

ok. one last question.
    say i get the WRT54G. if i dont want to use the wireless option....you're saying i can juse use the wired option? is this correct?

i may need help setting this thing up tonite. i hear from reviews setting up might be a pain in the tushy

ok. one last question.
    say i get the WRT54G. if i dont want to use the wireless option....you're saying i can juse use the wired option? is this correct?
    no problem

i may need help setting this thing up tonite. i hear from reviews setting up might be a pain in the tushy
    it was extreemly simple when I got mine, and that was with 4 machines hooked up to it. Just make sure that you go into the router's setup page, disable the wireless feature, disable WAN side ping requests, save changes, done.

fine then.

ill report back with router status.

and thanks.