Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: speed drop through router

One other thing - shut down everything, all computers, cable modem, the works, then swap out the router. When ya have the new one hooked up, turn on the cable modem first, then the router. Wait a minute, then fire up the pooters and they should all work. Then disable wireless and WAN side ping in the router setup and you're ready to go. Here's a dslreports test result I just got a minmute ago.

i did not have router at time of return.
    came home with router.
    turn pc on.
    everything else off.

ran software. then turned modem and then router on. voila. works so far. hmm...i did not see anything about disabling wireless...but i have yet to access the properties menu. i just did the quick setup that the disk asked me to do.

speed test has me at 12845 kbps
    and again at 12710 kbps.

this is my brothers computer which is closest to the modem so obviously the router will stay here. now i will go hook up my computer and see what happens.

badda bing. fired up the laptop (desktop has been buried for now) and pow. it was already on the network. did a speed test and im fluctuating from 9-12000 kbps.

i think im fine. right now im trying to find out how i can share files between the two computers. i have some movies i want to give my brother from this laptop....it should not be hard to do.

thanks bwm and also sick willie. not a bad router recommendation. and the information provided was excellent in this thread.

That's good news

You may be able to get more speed out of the machines by going here and using their TCP Optimizer program to tweak the registry settings a bit. I did it on all of my rigs and it gained about 20% more speed. What you have is very good at this point however. Well done

man, lets hope it stays that way. i have this habit of getting curious with devices and just crashing everything! hell if i was a virus i'd make other viruses sick.

but seriously...happy with it. i'll check out that lil utility. thanks

what was your uplink speed BTW?

about 1500-1800 kbps (1.5mb i think)
    nowhere as high as the download.

but im happy with what i have. long as this router gives me no problems im a happy man!!

Quote Originally Posted by greygoose View Post
    about 1500-1800 kbps (1.5mb i think)
    nowhere as high as the download.

but im happy with what i have. long as this router gives me no problems im a happy man!!
    uplink is usually way lower than downlink but the uplink speed you have now is excellent. You are indeed good to go, just make sure and disable the wireless and disable WAN ping. We can help you more with that tomorrow.