DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D - cold booting?

I'm helping a buddy of mine build a desktop and this is the first time I've worked with this particular motherboard.

We got everything hooked up and were able to boot up to Windows, I formatted the HD and when I rebooted afterwards nothing would boot up.

It has one stick of 1GB Corsair XMS 3200 RAM, a BFG 7600GT video card, and an FX-55 cpu.

Is there a reason the system is not booting up properly? I haven't changed any of the jumpers because in the past this hasn't been a problem.

Additionally, somebody told me this mobo is very particular with the RAM and PSU, so I'm guessing I'll need to change the RAM timings.

However, at the moment it won't even boot up so I can change anything. What do I need to do to get his computer up and running properly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Kreeperz; 11-12-2006 at 12:35 PM.

Re: DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D - cold booting?

Well, do you have any DDR that's not high-performance stuff handy? Yank the Corsair for a second, and try booting with one stick of the low-performance DDR. Put it in the Orange DDR slot furthest away from the CPU.
    If you can boot, go into BIOS, under Genie BIOS and increase the memory voltage a tad. You should be able to do 2.8V without trouble for any DDR. Then power off after saving and rebooting and pop the Corsair back in the Orange slot furthest away from the CPU.

Next,

What power supply is in there?

I'm not sure if I can get access to any older DDR RAM because the RAM sticks I have in my computer is the same Corsair XMS that he has in his but I'll ask around. Hopefully I'll be able to get the computer to boot up just long enough to change the settings as I was able to do briefly before. I was thinking about pulling the battery out of the computer to reset the CMOS to see if that would help.

As far as the power supply goes, it is a ATX 12V, 500W power supply that came in a Best Buy computer case. We bought everything else at newegg, but he works at Best Buy so we were able to get the case extremely cheap. Here is a link to the case with the included power supply.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1091099784169

I appreciate your help. I'd read that this mobo has some difficulty with power supplies, but I was hoping this wasn't the case this time around.

I don't think Dynex has any power supplies on DFI's recommended PSU list. These days, wattage is pretty ambiguous, and a good PSU that will meet DFI's requirements is going to start in the neighborhood of approximately $80-120. I'd be almost certain that the PSU is the problem. RAM could be, but I'd invest in a quality PSU first.

Here's the short version of the minimum requirements DFI has for the PSU:

-480W or greater
    -24-pin Native ATX connector (no adapters)
    -25A on the 12V
    -OR-
    -25A via combination of the 12V rails (like 2 15A 12V rails)

Not to blow my own horn, but a more in-depth explanation can be found here.

It's not DFI making the boards a problem. It's people trying to get away with something less than what they state as the minimum requirements for their products. Just as a general rule, a PSU included with a case is pretty much crap, so I'm not really surprised that there's problems.

Get a quality psu like ^ he stated or expect probs

well I was hoping the PSU wasn't the problem but it appears that it is...I appreciate your help guys

is there a list of compatible PSUs that we can buy so that we don't make the same mistake twice?

also, by 24 pin, i'm guessing that means that 20+4 like this one will not be compatible

nevermind, i see your list in the link provided
    Last edited by Kreeperz; 11-12-2006 at 12:45 PM.

The 20+4 are compatible and "native" 24-pins. They just have the last 4-pins detachable for older 20-pin ATX connectors. The 'native' part is opposed to using a 20-pin PSU with a 20-to-24-pin adapter.