Negative ping values

I'm having a really odd problem, the las few days I noted some hiccups while browsing. I performed a ping to my router and noted negative ping values, they appeared instantly. I then did a ping to my local NIC, with same results, reinstalled nvidia network drivers and disabled a bridge and QOS from the network options with same results. Then I performed a ping to loopback (127.0.0.1), and still have the same problem.

Note: My Windows XP SP2 is in spanish, I've translated some words, so you can undestand it, if you are familiarized with the ping command you won't need it anyways .

Code:
    C:\>ping loopback -t

Haciendo ping a X [127.0.0.1] con 32 bytes de datos:

Answer from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=-14ms TTL=128
    Answer from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1m TTL=128
    Answer from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=-15ms TTL=128
    Answer from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time=-15ms TTL=128

Estadísticas de ping para 127.0.0.1:
        Paquetes: sent = 11, received = 11, lost = 0
        (0% perdidos),
    Tiempos aproximados de ida y vuelta en milisegundos:
        Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = -14ms, Mean = 390451565ms

Asus A8N-E
    AMD64 X2 4200+
    2x512 PDP Patriot XBL 3200/4200
    Stock Cooler W/ Arctic Silver 2
    ATI Sapphire x1900gt 256MB VIVO
    160gb SATA Maxtor - 320gb Seagate
    LG 52x24x52 - DVDRW 16x8
    Logitech z5300 Speakers
    Viewsonic vx922
    Topower 520D Case - 431w Enermax EG465P-VE psu
    Win XP Pro SP2

Re: Negative ping values

Whatever the cause of your browsing hiccups, I doubt the negative values have any bearing. It looks as though the response was too quick to time accurately.

Thumbs up Re: Negative ping values

About the negative pings, I'm not a genius computer user, but I noticed the negative pings and connectivity issues as well. I therefore referred my problem to the great technical support in the wire- aka, the Internet.

Seems that AMD has some issues with their Dual-core processors. I found this, and variations of it on several sites: [my thanks to "Stanley" who postd this]

"I am guessing all or most of those experiencing negative ping times are using the new dual core AMD cpu line. There appears to be a bug in the CPU, which AMD will not directly admit to or identify publicly. Being a big fan of AMD for years I find this very unfortunate since this has been affecting the AMD based servers I manage at work and the home machines of myself and many other people I know.

After narrowing it down to the processor itself I started to put pressure on AMD for answers and was finally told to update the processor driver for all systems experiencing the problem. I did this at home last weekend and at work to almost a dozen servers and it has fixed the problem on ALL workstations and servers.

From my discussions with AMD I have pieced together the following likely issue with the dual core processors. It seems there is a timing issue between the two cores that slowly causes the timing to drift further and further apart between the two cores. This is why rebooting the machine temporarily fixes the syptoms; atleast for a couple of hours. The longer the system is up the worse the problem appears to get until simple tasks such as web browsing and copying files becomes untolerable.

Below is a link to AMD to get the latest processor driver which appears to correct the issue with the dual core processor.

www . amd . com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html
    (sorry for the broken URL, the borad will not let me post a URL with less than 15 posts here under my belt)

For those that may feel this problem still resides on the network side I can only say in the past two months I have tried 5 different brand NICs (netgear, HP, linksys, d-link, and an older Compaq server NIC), 4 different switchs (Cisco 6513, Cisco 2950, Netgear, and D-Link), and tried a straight crossover cable between two computers and non had any affect on the problem. I have also experienced the problem on 3 different system boards (Compaq DL385, MSI K8N Neo4, and an Asus board. I have flashed the BIOS repeatedly on all these boards and the Neo4 ensured I was running the latest nForce4 drives. None of this troubleshooting has any affect on the problem.

In the past two or so months I have read about a lot of people having this problem but have not seen a fix for this posted anywhere so I am hoping this email can help at least one person save the months of meaningless troubleshooting I have to go through.

If you find this to be help full at solving your problem please take a minute to spread the word.

Stanley
    Network Administrator"

THAT WAS IT!!!!

Thank you Guest414. Saved me from throwing away my system.

It took me several months of checking and rechecking EVERY peice of hardware in my system. I was diagnosing everything, TWICE. I was about to start to replace hardware when I noticed the negative response times in my pings, and intermittent behaviour. Your post described the issue to a T and when I downloaded the fix, it almost brought a tear to my eye because I so happy that such a simple fix would make this machine sing (I would say again, but it seemed to have been for its entire, short life).

Again, THANK YOU!

I had the same problem AMD6000+ I thought it was my nic but it wasnt. I installed Vista and the problem seems the have been resolved.

Interesting. I'll have to try this on my AMD's at home.

Thanks for the info.
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Not to Hijack, any one know if a similiar issue exhists with Intel Dual Cores...all flavors?
    A.I...the next super species in Evolution!

ANTEC NINE HUNDRED
    Thermaltake ToughPower 750W
    Intel D975XBX2 (BadAxe2)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Zalman CNPS9500AT Socket LGA775 CPU Cooler
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX (8GB) RAM: (4) 2GB 800Mhz sticks
    WD 80GB Raptor SATA II: (OS Files) partition with 7.3 GB secondary partition (4 GB used) for PF
    WD 80GB Raptor SATA II: (Application's) partition with 7.3 GB secondary partition (4 GB used) for PF
    Seagate 120 GB Barracuda Sata I for backup of OS and App drives
    WD 250GB Caviar Sata II (2) for data storage
    Radeon 256 x1800 GTO (2) Crossfire 1:1
    Samsung 226BW Widescreen
    Vista Business 64 (WEI: 5.3)
    Ratings:
    Proc: 5.9
    Memory: 5.7 (4GB), 5.6 (8GB)
    Graphics: 5.9
    Gaming Graphics: 5.7
    Primary HD: 5.3

Follow up = I found one of my boxes that did the negative ping value. Put the dual core optimizer on it and the issue stopped. Pretty interesting.

CPU = AMD black edition dual core
    Soy el caimán seis cincuenta.

Having an issue here. I am having the same problem with negative values. I went to the link for the optimizer, finally got to the page to download it but... nothing. It lists it, but when you click on it, it takes you to a page where there is NOTHING in the fields and the 'download' button is deactivated.

SEE: support(dot)amd(dot)com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails(dot)aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153&lang=us

This issue has been driving me nuts for some time. I thought I was just really failing at networking, but from what I can tell, that's not the problem at all. Please respond as soon as you can to help me get this tool. I am having a VERY difficult time finding a legit place to download it.

Thanks in advance.

Thumbs up Re: Negative ping values

dude thk u so much for your help, it worked.