Page 138 of 140 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140 LastLast
Results 2,056 to 2,070 of 2091

Re: To our resident camera buffs...

Got some photos of my trip out to San Jose CA. I'll post the good ones when I get back. Flying at 40000 feet over the snow capped Rockies. Just hope my Canon D10 did them some justice.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff35 View Post
    Finally made it out to my shifts weekly hockey game. What a challange to follow the action through a lens. Here is 3 shots I liked. Only got through 1/3 of the shots so far. Took 1 050 pictures. lol.

I've been eying the old arena behind my house lately. I remember going there with my dad to watch my brother play hockey. The arena just had a MAJOR renovation during the summer so I'd like to see what they did. I took a few shots in there a couple of years ago.

Man those high pressure sodium lights are horrible to white balance! Did you notice much colour variation from shot to shot? When I was shooting there, almost every shot needed different colour corrections due to a couple of old bulbs that kept flickering.

Quote Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
    Got some photos of my trip out to San Jose CA. I'll post the good ones when I get back. Flying at 40000 feet over the snow capped Rockies. Just hope my Canon D10 did them some justice.
    Hopefully they turned out. I'm curious to see what they're like. I flew over them once. Also flew over the grand canyon on the same trip. From up there, they didn't seem monumental as I thought they would. However, they are still two locations I'd really like to see from the ground someday.

Didn't come out as good as hoped. Should have brought the E30 but it was too much to carry.

Lake Erie I believe.

Sunset over PA.

Night over LI

Rockies

over Nevada or Arizona

This one is pretty freaky. It's an airport but no visible roads to get to it. My son says it must be a secret spy base

Here is the link to all of them.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...%20Feb%202011/

Nice, looks like an A320 based on the little wingtip fence there.. and do I spy a DC-8 in that shot right at landing? Cool, don't see them too often anymore

Oh, and the scenery is cool too!

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    Man those high pressure sodium lights are horrible to white balance! Did you notice much colour variation from shot to shot? When I was shooting there, almost every shot needed different colour corrections due to a couple of old bulbs that kept flickering.
    We had a big discussion about this on a Sports Shooter's web blog a couple years ago... you don't get that at the 'big' arenas, just at the smaller ones. We checked, and confirmed, that at the bigger venues the lighting systems are set up to flicker at different points in the wave... cancels the flicker out for the photography, especially the video; get your video in sync with the flicker and your broadcast will just SUCK!

Set 'em up on two different phases, and it's all even light from then on. IF you get the flicker, we decided it was best to shoot for the 'bright' ones, and fix the dimmer ones if needed... otherwise 'the shot' will be the one you overexpose, and there's no recovery from that.

Here's a good post he made on shooting 'kids' sports.. but it applies across the board!

Came home to a hawk devouring something on my front lawn. I walked very slowly up the driveway and then grabbed my 55-250 and started snapping. Unfortunately the autofocus decided that the scrawny Azalea was more interesting (click for bigger images!):

Camera also decided to shoot the flash off or something here, so the color is all jacked up

The carnage!
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 02-14-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Trust me, I do science

@Zetachi - Those shots of the Rockies turned out pretty good for shooting through a grubby plastic airplane window! When I flew over them, we must have been higher cause they didn't seem that impressive.

@Fluff - Good point at setting the exposure. Hopefully I can get up at a decent hour next weekend and maybe walk around the corner to check out the game (I've been working a strange afternoon/night shift which has been killing my weekends).

@Active - God created bushes and trees specifically to interfere with Auto Focusing systems!

But you did at least get a decent shot of him in flight.

The shot of him in the tree could probably be cleaned up easily using the Levels settings in either Gimp or Photoshop.

@Active - God created bushes and trees specifically to interfere with Auto Focusing systems!

But you did at least get a decent shot of him in flight.

The shot of him in the tree could probably be cleaned up easily using the Levels settings in either Gimp or Photoshop.
    Thanks! its not a very sharp picture so I dunno how much it'd be worth it to mess with the levels. Just wanted to share the experience since it was a total spur of the moment deal Definitely less than ideal conditions: I was inside the house, it was evening/dusk and there was a lot of shrubbery in the way to mess with the focus (plus no time to manual focus!)

Trust me, I do science

I agree. But this is it. Sometimes you have to just take what you can get. Unfortunately they may not be worth hanging on the wall, but at least you have something to remember and share experience with.

If you want ideal, camp out in my backyard this spring. And be ready at the crack of dawn. I had a nosy bugger that liked to hang out on my fence and try to scare my plastic owl away. I use the owl to scare the ducks away from the pool. It gets to be quite the zoo out there sometimes. I could only imagine what it would be like if I actually lived out in the country.
    Last edited by Spankin Partier; 02-14-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

Yeah, it cleans up... I can't resist these, I really should get some help.

Did you notice he's banded? Check out his right leg in full size.

I agree. But this is it. Sometimes you have to just take what you can get. Unfortunately they may not be worth hanging on the wall, but at least you have something to remember and share experience with.

If you want ideal, camp out in my backyard this spring. And be ready at the crack of dawn. I had a nosy bugger that liked to hang out on my fence and try to scare my plastic owl away. I use the owl to scare the ducks away from the pool. It gets to be quite the zoo out there sometimes. I could only imagine what it would be like if I actually lived out in the country.
    I'd love to take you up on that, but Canada is kind of a hike
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    Yeah, it cleans up... I can't resist these, I really should get some help.

Did you notice he's banded? Check out his right leg in full size.

Wow, great job and thanks! again, not the sharpest, but it looks so much better. Didn't notice the band at the time, but its a fairly densely populated suburban area so I'm not too surprised that somebody is watching these guys. At least we have enough open space that you do manage to see a bit of wildlife

Trust me, I do science

Looks like a Sharp-shinned hawk. If you want to see them just set up a birdfeeder and every now and then you'll see them cruising through looking for an easy unsuspecting meal.

Sharpies are cool birds.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but a few months back had a hawk fly right by me when I stepped out of work one day. I opened the door to see a 1/2 dozen sparrows flying frantically over the parking lot. One apparently broke from the pack just before I opened the door and flew right by me and then off between the cars. Hot on its tail was a hawk. It flew right by me and then chased it through the cars...bouncing off of the hood of our pickup.

It didn't miss a beat and kept on the that sparrow's tail as they both flew around the corner and out of site.

Couple from our recent cruise NCL Jewel CourtYard Villas

Our private deck

Swim up bar anyone?

Towel zoo

Squidward

Like father like son

Hogwarts

Got a cool tour of the bridge