Page 55 of 140 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast

Re: To our resident camera buffs...

Awesome, crispy!!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Love the bright colors in that shot crispycrunch. Nice shot.

Here`s one for today. Something more abstract.
    Last edited by scruff35; 11-20-2009 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    WOW!

Killer subject there! His colours just seem to pop in comparison to his background. Was he behind glass? It doesn't look like it.
    He's behind glass, in an aquarium. You can barely see the glare as the glare looks somewhat natural. I wonder if a polarizer would have hidden that?
    Last edited by chrispycrunch; 09-13-2007 at 08:05 AM.
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

Quote Originally Posted by chrispycrunch View Post
    He's behind glass, in an aquarium. You can barely see the glare as the glare looks somewhat natural. I wonder if a polarizer would have hidden that?
    So It was in an aquarium where the photo was taken, Interesting, I'd get a 100 gallon glass aquarium(60"x18"x24"), But I'm currently chasing down leads to transport such a beast as It requires a pickup and no one around here(where I live that is) wants to travel 127 miles to help Me get the thing, My sister-in-law and Her daughter supposedly do have one according to My nephew, But they might not too, Of course It's a thing to put on the to do list otherwise such an aquarium could cost Me nearly $420 instead of merely $169 plus gas costs(maybe $41). An acrylic aquarium could be delivered here for free But the cost is killer at $1,059.00 simolians(No stand for either of course), Oh well. Later.

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

he reminds me... I wanted a beer...

Cool shot!

Quote Originally Posted by scruff35 View Post
    Love the bright colors in that shot crispycrunch. Nice shot.

Here`s one for today. Something more abstract.

Neat trick there Scruff.

Why I shoot in RAW mode

....by Fluff 'nStuff

I shoot in RAW mode because I can correct stupid shooting errors much more easily. And I need it.

For those who haven't read up on this: Normally you take a photo, and your sensor gets hit by photons, and the sensor sends a signal to the Imaging Chip. The software in the camera then decides what parts of the image to keep, and which to throw away. You lose things like lighting settings... if you choose "Daylight" as a setting, your camera throws out all of the info that would only be used for, say, "Incandescent" or something. Also, if your camera is set on 'auto', your camera will only keep the light and dark parts that it thinks it can use. Then on top of all that, it compresses the image using a 'lossy' form factor called 8-bit .jpg or .jpeg Some cameras do all of the editing, but don't compress the image, and it is saved in a file format called .tiff

In RAW mode, the sensor gets hit by photons, and sends the signal to the processing Image Chip, but none of the data gets thrown away... it is all saved in a 16 bit format. Different manufacturers use different and proprietary formats, Canon uses one they call .rc2 Sony/Minolta uses files called either .mrw .arw or .srf! It all differs by what software the processor uses 'nStuff.

Anyway...

I shot this photo this summer in RAW + .jpg (small), which gives me both the .cr2 file and a .jpg file... here is the .jpg file:

Bleah. AS you may notice, it is a little bit on the underexposed side. Okay, it's really, really dark.

By the way, this is a buddy of mine named Ari. Ari is wearing that costume because he is Playing the part of 'Amos' who is a priest in the time of Jesus. It's part of a performance I'm part of which portrays Jesus' life and teachings.

Anyway, the picture is not really presentable. Even lightening it up in Photoshop will not save it... there is too much 'noise' in his face and his clothing... and the wall as well as his white robe go completely overexposed 'nStuff. Bleah.

However, since I shot it in RAW, all I do is open it up, change the exposure setting, bump the sharpness a bit, crop for composition and save it as an 8-bit .jpg file... (remember, RAWs are 16-bit) and I got this:

Ah yeah... that's better! His face is warm and has depth, his robe is not overexposed... the wall is back to it's normal 'cream' color... there is no nasty noise... Mikey Likes It!

That's why I shoot in RAW. Thank you for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    Why I shoot in RAW mode

....by Fluff 'nStuff

I shoot in RAW mode because I can correct stupid shooting errors much more easily. And I need it.

For those who haven't read up on this: Normally you take a photo, and your sensor gets hit by photons, and the sensor sends a signal to the Imaging Chip. The software in the camera then decides what parts of the image to keep, and which to throw away. You lose things like lighting settings... if you choose "Daylight" as a setting, your camera throws out all of the info that would only be used for, say, "Incandescent" or something. Also, if your camera is set on 'auto', your camera will only keep the light and dark parts that it thinks it can use. Then on top of all that, it compresses the image using a 'lossy' form factor called 8-bit .jpg or .jpeg Some cameras do all of the editing, but don't compress the image, and it is saved in a file format called .tiff

In RAW mode, the sensor gets hit by photons, and sends the signal to the processing Image Chip, but none of the data gets thrown away... it is all saved in a 16 bit format. Different manufacturers use different and proprietary formats, Canon uses one they call .rc2 Sony/Minolta uses files called either .mrw .arw or .srf! It all differs by what software the processor uses 'nStuff.

Anyway...

I shot this photo this summer in RAW + .jpg (small), which gives me both the .cr2 file and a .jpg file... here is the .jpg file:

Bleah. AS you may notice, it is a little bit on the underexposed side. Okay, it's really, really dark.

By the way, this is a buddy of mine named Ari. Ari is wearing that costume because he is Playing the part of 'Amos' who is a priest in the time of Jesus. It's part of a performance I'm part of which portrays Jesus' life and teachings.

Anyway, the picture is not really presentable. Even lightening it up in Photoshop will not save it... there is too much 'noise' in his face and his clothing... and the wall as well as his white robe go completely overexposed 'nStuff. Bleah.

However, since I shot it in RAW, all I do is open it up, change the exposure setting, bump the sharpness a bit, crop for composition and save it as an 8-bit .jpg file... (remember, RAWs are 16-bit) and I got this:

Ah yeah... that's better! His face is warm and has depth, his robe is not overexposed... the wall is back to it's normal 'cream' color... there is no nasty noise... Mikey Likes It!

That's why I shoot in RAW. Thank you for listening.
    It's a Grey Beard!

Nice work Fluff, The guy needs some of that stuff they advertise on TV for Men for Mr. Grey.

Ha! You should see mine... I'll do my next wave of 'Grey-away' on Saturday 'nStuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    Ha! You should see mine... I'll do my next wave of 'Grey-away' on Saturday 'nStuff...
    I guess I'm lucky then No grey, yet. Sideburns are red & curly and the rest is a dark curly brown. Today I shaved It off after 15-25 minutes of work.

Great example Fluff. I think I`ll switch to RAW for todays adventure. Hoping to get some shots of hawks, and eagles. Got to help a newbie freind with some minor computer issues first. Then off to Hawk Cliff for a couple of hours.

Try setting up to take both RAW+JPG if you've never used RAW before. This way if you have post processing troubles, you'll still have something familure to work with.

Yep I always shoot in raw and JPG. Saved many a photo even though I've only had the camera for a month or so. Only issue is it burns through CF fast. That's why you need a few
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

I need to pick up a few 2G cards now. 1G cards just don't cut it any more.

not sure if this is a good deal or not but here it is

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211150
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.