Page 6 of 140 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

Re: To our resident camera buffs...

This is a great thread. It's very detailed in camera specs and some of the different lens personalities. As for the original post, the Canon Powershot S2 is a versatile camera. This is best for nature or sports photography due to the lens. There is quite a bit of distortion though going to the high zoom but that is inherent in a point and shoot. The IS might make you sea sick but you get used to it!

Just thought you all might want to join www.photosig.com if you want to get creative with your shots and want feedback from other great photographers. Just know they will not be all that kind or generous in their rating system!

As for cameras, I use a sony dsc-t11 point and shoot. Seeing the pics here, I'm tempted to go with a sony a100 or a canon type slr, but i kind of like the convenience (and size) of cheaper cameras that you can carry around all the time.

My next camera wants to be a canon g7 (iso 3200 or so, IS, 6x zoom), or maybe a compact canon SD700 or SD900.
    Last edited by chrispycrunch; 11-29-2006 at 08:45 AM.
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

Just hacking around with my Canon EF-S 60MM 2.8 Macro USM lens. 1st shot at about 2 feet and the second at about 3-5 inches.

Woops! I think she needs a Kleenex!

Quote Originally Posted by chrispycrunch View Post
    As for cameras, I use a sony dsc-t11 point and shoot. Seeing the pics here, I'm tempted to go with a sony a100 or a canon type slr, but i kind of like the convenience (and size) of cheaper cameras that you can carry around all the time.
    You hit one of the BIGGEST criteria requirements of any camera! It doesn't matter how good a camera is, if it's too big for you to carry, it'll end up sitting in your closet. What good is it a fancy expensive camera if you're not willing/able to take it with you when you go out camping, hunting, visiting, or what ever.

I was never as upset as I was when I lost my Canon S40. That was a nice camera that I was able to put in my jean pocket if I wanted. I used to take that camera everywhere. And it just so happened it came to end on a kayaking trip with my (at the time) 13 y/o niece. The camera ended up getting dunked in the river. I was just glad that the CF card survived with all the pictures from the first 2 days. Three of my favourite pictures I ever took I took that week with my S40.

If it wasn't for that small camera, I wouldn't have had any pictures. There's just no way I'd be able to pack my camera along with all my gear into my kayak. Let alone talk about the risk of taking such a camera on the river.

I miss my S40. I want another one.

Well on the weekend I got to play around with another great Canon lens.

As most of you know I went to Montreal for the weekend and one of my friends brought this bad boy with him:

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

I'm just going to upload the pictures I took to my server and then I'll be able to see how they turned out. If they are half as good as I hope they are, then I think this lens could easily fill in a gap I've got for a high end macro and a high end standard zoom lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    You hit one of the BIGGEST criteria requirements of any camera! It doesn't matter how good a camera is, if it's too big for you to carry, it'll end up sitting in your closet. What good is it a fancy expensive camera if you're not willing/able to take it with you when you go out camping, hunting, visiting, or what ever.

I was never as upset as I was when I lost my Canon S40. That was a nice camera that I was able to put in my jean pocket if I wanted. I used to take that camera everywhere. And it just so happened it came to end on a kayaking trip with my (at the time) 13 y/o niece. The camera ended up getting dunked in the river. I was just glad that the CF card survived with all the pictures from the first 2 days. Three of my favourite pictures I ever took I took that week with my S40.

If it wasn't for that small camera, I wouldn't have had any pictures. There's just no way I'd be able to pack my camera along with all my gear into my kayak. Let alone talk about the risk of taking such a camera on the river.

I miss my S40. I want another one.

Oh, poor S40. At least it wasn't an SLR! I've been doing a tremendous amount of reading and testing for another point and shoot with near-SLR capabilities. The G7 seems it might fit the void, though it will require lots of calibrating. It's also expensive right now. Ironically, my current Sony T9 ultra-compact isn't looking all that bad (the tradeoffs/limitation of indoor photos, red eye) when weighed against the convenience of carrying it around.

This might be a bit of a consumer-pleaser but truth is, the high ISO camera would really mean noisy night shots; the image stabilization works as performed but only under certain photographic circumstances; high MP doesn't mean higher-quality pics...it's all about color saturation, white balance, lens quality.

And so, I continue to read up on camera models...
    Intel E6750 C2D
    400x8 (3.2GHz) 32C idle/58C Load @ stock 1.31V/HSF | Gigabyte DS3R Rev 1 bios F13 | OCZ XTC Rev 2 @4-4-4-15 | Antec Sonata 3 500W | Palit 8800GT driver v.169.21 | WD 500GB | 22" 226BW | Logitech x-540 5.1

AMD64 (754) 3000+ @2GHz |
    | ASUS K8N-E DLX BIOS 1.11 | 512x 2 OCZ Premier DDR400 2.5-3-3-7 | Antec Sonata 380W | 9600 Pro 128MB | 19" 930B

Quote Originally Posted by chrispycrunch View Post
    high MP doesn't mean higher-quality pics...it's all about color saturation, white balance, lens quality.
    That's so true. When I switched from my Digital Rebel (6.1MP) to my 30D (8MP), the added megapixels were nice, but they were not a requirement in my selection of a new camera. I was really looking for the new Digic II processor (better noise reduction and speed). I am still amazed at how fast this camera is.

But I did know that with the lenses I had, I would still be able to use the extra megapixels. The resolving capability of these lenses (with the exception of the EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM), I should be able to get an even higher megapixel camera and still get better images.

Well, I ordered her the Digital Rebel XTi kit from Adorama, they had it on sale for $780. Plus picked up a 2 GB flash card, reader (I wanted this), and extra battery (Got the canon battery). She should be able to start taking pics on Christmas day.

Gonna have to wait on a telephoto lens as the property taxes were due. But I might not wait long gonna keep my eye on the prices, hoping for a post-christmas sale or two.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll let you know how she liks it.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

I think you made a great choice
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

I also agree with JSB. It`s a nice camera.

The box from Adorama came today, everything looks good. Wish it was my camera so I could open it up and play! But I (just barely) know better than to play with her camera before she gets her hands on it!
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Just make sure she opens it early Christmas day. I'm sure she'll be wanting to using it right away as others open their gifts.

Oh, and saying that, you may just want to charge up that battery for her. Time just tends to slow right down as you're waiting for that battery to charge up for the first time. If you charge it this weekend or anytime next week you should be good for Christmas.

Then Christmas day...open present, insert battery and the CF card (you do have a CF card for the camera 512MB minimum), attach the lens, switch lens to AF, turn on camera, switch to auto (green box), have fun!

Fluff n Stuff is offline ♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪

I agree... you should definitely charge up the battery. Probably get it all set up to take her picture after she opens it.

Hey, here's an idea... take the camera out of the box, insert, I dunno, a rock. Then, when she unwraps the giftbox to see what it is, *SNAP!* Take the first picture of her discovering what her gift is!

She'll forgive you for taking the first picture 'nStuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Fluff n Stuff View Post
    I agree... you should definitely charge up the battery. Probably get it all set up to take her picture after she opens it.

Hey, here's an idea... take the camera out of the box, insert, I dunno, a rock. Then, when she unwraps the giftbox to see what it is, *SNAP!* Take the first picture of her discovering what her gift is!

She'll forgive you for taking the first picture 'nStuff...
    Great idea
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

lol great idea...except the rock part! Maybe something soft like a sponge, but never give a woman a rock for a present or you may get hit!

OK I'll charge the battery, and yes bought a 2GB card and an extra battery, so I'll have at least one charged up for her. Waiting would be a drag...

Now I'm thinking about a point and shoot for my daughter. She's nearly six, so it's gotta be fairly simple. The wife bought her a cheapie kids digital camera last year and it was dissappointing to say the least. She's taken a few pics with the sony DSC and does alright, just needs a little practice. Her birthday's in February that'd be something she'd enjoy.

Take a Kid FISHING!