Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

<Gasp> This goes against every fiber of me...

But I'm eyeballing a VIA chipset Epox motherboard. Because, afterall, they don't do too bad a job. Everybody has to start trying somewhere. VIA's been out for ages, and I've read enough problems between ATI and Nvidia chipsets to make my eyeballs hurt. The only thing people complain about with VIA is that one of their technicians won't intsall their very simple drivers for them. And Epox, I forgive them, much as I've forgiven MSI a long time ago. Their true, and evident work towards releasing higher quality products is showing.

So I think when the time comes, and it's here, a bit too soon 'cause my system is "flaking out" as someone put it, lol, it's probably gonna be an Epox motherboard with a VIA chipset on it. Good, or bad, eh? Just something to talk about, a little hardware tivvey.

Re: <Gasp> This goes against every fiber of me...

All 5 of my rigs are VIA based, K8T800 Pro and K8T890, with X2 chips, 2 gigs of ram, raptors, and goodies most people will never hear of. Never had the slightest hint of a problem with any of them.

Yeah, that's the thing about old VIA, there's NO bling to em, it's not bleeding edge, but I just want something with a little more experience behind it. I can't bring myself to mess with Intel products just yet. Not when it still feels like I can get more for my dough with AMD. I would have opted for a SIS product, but the boards seem geared to OEM boxes, and I don't want to go that low. lol. But if there was a better featured SIS product, I would have gone that way. SIS are good solid chipsets, too, who have been around awhile, as well. ATI, and Invidia seem to still be experimenting too much with their southbridges for my tastes. Sure, they're fine, too, but I want what I know is tried and true. If I have to suffer the lack of bling-bling, and sacrifice a little performance for guaranteed stability, so be it. Time to run with the old gurus that made AMD-based interconnects before they were a twinkle in a graphics card manufacturer's eye.

That's just how I feel about it. I'm not saying anything wrong with Nvidia and ATI, they're bleeding edge, and I'd be all over it if I had the money. But I don't, and I need what money I spend to simply work. Cheers to VIA. Take me back?

There are a couple of people around here who badmouth VIA very badly so get ready for it, they surely won't miss their chance to spread a bunch of BS again. The people I work for/with have all tried nvidia stuff but they just don't handle the kind of stuff we do with finesse. They can't stand IEEE-488 stuff one iota.

Been using VIA based boards for years , never had any issues at all with any build.Always rock stable , no matter what I throw at it. Still on the A8V-D board and getting ready to buy the A8V-E SE as soon as they are back in stock at the egg, time to go pci-express.

Thumbs up Re: <Gasp> This goes against every fiber of me...

No complaints here. I've had oodles of VIA and a few nVidia boards and I can't say anything bad about either one. I did have an MSI that wouldn't read the correct memory timings on my Corsair RAM but I won't blame VIA for that. I set it up manually and never looked back. I have 4 VIA boards at the moment and they are exceptionally stable and decent performing rigs.

Many of the odd problems I used to have with boards dropped off to almost nothing once I stopped using cheap power supplies. I'm not sure if the boards just got better or if the PSU really made that much difference, but I know I won't even build a budget machine unless I have a decent power supply to start with. Just my opinion though.... lots of people seem to have good luck running with low end power. I'm just not one of them.
    Never deprive someone of hope... it may be the only thing they have.

As an even older fart, I remember when the only choice we had was AMD or VIA and VIA always seemed to be one step ahead of AMD, I'm talking chip sets here.

I'm running an NVidia 590 and once Asus got the bugs out it has been running fine.

Now I'm ready to build two new systems, one AMD AM2 and one Intel Core2Duo.

What chip sets do you all recommend?? Is VIA even a choice??

Quote Originally Posted by PowerHungry View Post
    As an even older fart, I remember when the only choice we had was AMD or VIA and VIA always seemed to be one step ahead of AMD, I'm talking chip sets here.

I'm running an NVidia 590 and once Asus got the bugs out it has been running fine.

Now I'm ready to build two new systems, one AMD AM2 and one Intel Core2Duo.

What chip sets do you all recommend?? Is VIA even a choice??
    I would certainly trust a VIA board again, althought I can't provide any chipset recommendations other than the KT800 since that's all I have (Gigabyte, Abit, MSI) at the moment, and they are stone solid. Just don't make the mistake of installing the VIA AGP driver with XP like I did.
    Never deprive someone of hope... it may be the only thing they have.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    There are a couple of people around here who badmouth VIA very badly so get ready for it, they surely won't miss their chance to spread a bunch of BS again. The people I work for/with have all tried nvidia stuff but they just don't handle the kind of stuff we do with finesse. They can't stand IEEE-488 stuff one iota.
    Via got its bad rep in the early days of Athlon/TB cores, which is also a bit odd imo, since that's when Via also got most of its market share. Trouble was Windows did not have any driver integrated that would work with the chipsets (Windows95 till 98/2nd edition IIRC?)and IMO this is what led to most of the bad mouthing, not the actual chipsets, but the trouble to get them to work. Most of the trouble was gone when KT133 was introduced (easily best chipset of its time), but Via really made a mistake when it introduced its first DDR chipset, the KT266, which simply wasn't up to par performance wise (unlike the following KT266A, but the damage was already done ).
    For some reason Via stuck to its policy releasing chipsets with only minor improvements (FSB266-->333--->400, KT266(A)/333/400(A)) and was late in introducing FSB/AGP locks and dual channel support (all of which it eventually did), which really led to the nVidia dominance that basically followed.
    You could upset the people bad mouthing Via chipsets and just call them 'n00bs' since really most of their 'Via trouble' has been between their seat and the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    You could upset the people bad mouthing Via chipsets and just call them 'n00bs' since really most of their 'Via trouble' has been between their seat and the keyboard.
    Exactly. I've used every VIA chipset since the VP3 and never had trouble with any of them. I'm not a gamer or overclocker so the rest of their gripes mean nothing to me. What DOES matter is that everything works and that a rig handles 5 PCI cards, 3 of them IEEE488 cards, with finesse. Nvidia doesn't.

I like Brad, have used VIA boards since the KT133 days and all
    have worked AOK. They may not overclock to the nth degree,
    but once the driver pack is loaded, they just plain run. I don't
    game, but my kids did a fews years back and I never saw any
    issues that were because of the chipsets. I still use and depend
    on my Abit AV8 boards for critical apps. The K8T8XX series chipsets
    are well matured and work with just about any other hardare pieces.
    Andy

(2) Abit AV8 - Modded Bios 1. 9 w/ FX55 San Diego
    Soyo KT600 Ultra w/mobile XP2600+ @2400mhz
    Epox 8VTAI w/mobile 2600+ @2300

Agree.... I have three full tilt K8T890 and two K8T800 Pro rigs running 24/7. Never a hiccup.

I had an Epox motherboard with a SIS chipset...worst motherboard I have ever owned. Absolutely terrible, it had every problem imaginable, I will never ever buy either again. I don't care how much they have improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilfer69 View Post
    I had an Epox motherboard with a SIS chipset...worst motherboard I have ever owned. Absolutely terrible, it had every problem imaginable, I will never ever buy either again. I don't care how much they have improved.
    As did I. The Northbridge was problematic, but it was a bad board to begin with. Power issues, and all caps ruptured on it in about a year. But I've used VIA before, and I"m using it today in me pop's pc, and it's nothing like the nightmare so many profess, even driver-wise. There's just so many dumb things you can do, but to me it's negligibly different than any other board. They do tend to be rock-solid. Alot of times, it really is just the user. I mean that sincerely, but sometimes, it's a just a motherboard manufacturer that cheaped out on the components. IMO, they all do it one time or another. You just weigh your odds. Me, I've settled for seeing a picture of the board. Picked up on some tell-tale signs of good-vs-bad, and so far, it's been working just fine. I knew my days were numbered on my current board, since I literally abuse the crap out of it, modifying, using hacked bioses, and running everything hotter than it should be.

Nothing wrong with VIA. I've used their Socket A and 754 chipset products with no issues. If they had a decent AM2 alternative, would have gone with them again.