Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive on the PC

If you guys have been thinking about HD-DVD on the PC, you might want to check out the Xbox 360 accessory that was released this week. It not only can bring HD-DVD features to the Xbox 360, but to your PC as well, without the need for drivers!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=325
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive on the PC

great news and review!

I have read in avs forum that playing from HTPC is only half resolution. Can it be fix?

awesome! i know what i'm getting myself for x-mas!
    Wide-screen HD compatible monitor... AND this....

Excellent, thanks. Especially interesting to see it work with a PC so simply.

I've had one on pre-order for a while now. Should be out on 1st Dec in the UK at least. It's supposed to come with the universal remote and King Kong on HD-DVD; Although this may be a limited offer. I've got 'The Cronicles of Riddick' and 'The Thing' on HD-DVD already.

is the powerdvd hd dvd edition available to the public? Ive been trying to find it and cant?

One thing that worries me is the HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray...

It's going to be another VHS / Betamax war all over again. I'm going out on a limb when I say I am pretty sure that the Blu-Ray format is going to win.

Why? Because Disney is promoting their movies on Blu-Ray format and so is Blockbuster.

Blockbuster not such a big deal but Disney... Disney is the #1 seller of DVD's in the U.S.

Who knows what's going to happen, it's going to suck to own the one format that doesn't succeed. I know both formats are going to stay because Sony and Microsoft are using them.
    If HD-DVD becomes the common format, it's going to negatively affect the Sony games and vice versa with XBox 360's.
    Darren E
    HTPC
    Athlon XP3000+ | 1GB PC3200 | Abit NF7-S 2.0 | 80GB Seagate | 200GB Seagate | Antec Overature Silent Case | PNY 6600GT DVI | Lite-On SK7551 IR Keyboard w/Pointing Device | Sony RM-AV2500 Remote | 2 Hauppauge PVR-150 | 2 DirecTV D10 | Hitachi 65S700 | Beyond TV 4.0
    Notebook
    Sager 4750- AMD64 3200 | 80GB HDD | 17"WSXGA | 1GB Ram
    A/V Authoring
    Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus | Lite-On DVD | Antec 900 Case | Delta 66 Audio Card | Intel E6600 | 2 GB G-Skill RAM | eVGA 8800GTS 320MB | Seagate 500/500/400 GB HDD | ViewSonic 20" Q20wb

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenDiego View Post
    One thing that worries me is the HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray...

It's going to be another VHS / Betamax war all over again. I'm going out on a limb when I say I am pretty sure that the Blu-Ray format is going to win.

Why? Because Disney is promoting their movies on Blu-Ray format and so is Blockbuster.

Blockbuster not such a big deal but Disney... Disney is the #1 seller of DVD's in the U.S.
    Disney will go with the flow because ultimately they are sales driven. Disney's CEO, Bob Iger said back in March that "We probably will publish in both formats."

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News...x?NewsId=16554

If HD-DVD becomes the common format, it's going to negatively affect the Sony games and vice versa with XBox 360's.
    I don't believe MS plan to release the actual game on anything other than DVD. Sony on the other hand will be using Blu-ray for games. If their format fails for movie delivery, they'll still always have that.

Very interesting, Ryan.
    I have some reading to fill in my self edu about HTPC's.
    When you posted about the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player on a PC,
    you said:
    "The HTPC in use here uses an MSI NVIDIA 7600 GT video card with HDCP support (which is of course still required for HD-DVD playback on a PC) and an HDMI output."
    I have an older PC system I built around an Aopen AK79G MAX which employs nVidia nForce2-GT chipsets and an AMD AthelonXP 2700+ cpu.
    I guess it's time to update it or build a real HTPC and buy an HDTV monitor and state-of-the-art graphics card with HDMI output, now that 1080p is becoming more available.
    I'm not convinced HDCP Graphics support, which I think has already been hacked, is absolutely needed, but I guess most people will just buy it because it comes with the HDTV stuff.
    I also read, on WIKI I believe, the the SONY PS3 is the first to use HDMI 1.3.
    And then I read this in SLATE,
    http://www.slate.com/id/2153877
    He makes some strong points about BlueRay and HD-DVD being "Dead on arrival"
    because of online HD movie rental services that will be coming, and how much cheaper large capacity Hard Drives are than either, and because "Universal Players" will arrive next year, and because probably the majority of people will outlay a pile of cash for these new HDTV's and hook up set-top boxes or into HDTV Video sources, and not outlay another big pile of cash for HTPC's with expensive BlueRay or HD-DVD players and media.
    But, to borrow a phrase, "What the Bleep do I know"?
    Cheers,

im sort of excited about this, i have almost all of the pieces of the puzzle for a complete HTPC, well technically I dont need HDDVD or BluRay to make it complete, more of a personal goal but I have been awaiting what would become available for optical drives to fit the 5 and a quarter slot, even though this is external its a step in the right direction and I hope it helps bring blu ray pricing and availability of pc drives for that format to a much more friendly proposistion, i think blu ray is the better of the two and the way to go, its just expensive, FWIW the HD DVDs look pretty damned good and now I might have to consider this Xbox external route as an option
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)

Hello
    Thanks for the great article.

I was reading some article on the net, that was saying you couldnt play HD-DVD's on Windows XP, but obviously you have proven here that it can actually be done, which is interesting.

I have an ATI X1xxx video card which says it is HDCP enabled (but of course the side note on the box says you need HDCP enabled Drive and Monitor and software :-O) - ouch. Having the XBOX 360 HD-DVD drive takes care of the drive, and my video card can supposedly handle the HDCP. So all that leaves is the frigging software to play it back. Im going to keep researching this....
    Last edited by steingra; 11-23-2006 at 02:18 AM.

Check this out: http://www.nero.com/enu/showpress.php?id=833

Here is a clip from that article. It sounds like Nero 7 will support playing hi def videos. As long as you have one of ATI's recent cards. hmmmmmm looks like I will have to try it out as soon as I can lay my hands on a 360 HD-DVD drive

Nero Supports ATI’s New Avivo™ Technology, Offering Amazing HD Video Experience via the PC Nero 7 is compatible with ATI’s Radeon® X1K family of graphics cards

Karlsbad, Germany (October 17, 2006) - Nero, leaders in digital media technology, announces that its Nero 7 supports ATI's Avivo™ technology H.264 hardware acceleration that is featured in ATI's Radeon® X1K family of graphics cards. ATI's Avivo technology enables enhanced High-Definition (HD) quality visual experiences on the PC with vibrant colors, ultra sharp images and the smoothest video playback available.

Nero Digital™ H.264/AVC video content is easily created via the Nero 7 software applications including Nero Recode and Nero Vision. The Nero ShowTime application of the Nero 7 software suite allows consumers to playback all digital recordings, including those in Blu-ray and HD DVD formats. Now supporting ATI's AVIVO H.264 hardware acceleration, Nero ShowTime further improves consumers' enjoyment and management of HD video content on a PC.

Ryan,

You say in your review that you already own a HD dvd player.. (the toshiba one) and that the picture quality is nearly identical of that of the 360 unit.

I was wonder if you were running your toshiba hd dvd player through HDMI, because many have said that one can't get the full benefits of hd-dvd through components.

Thanks..

Unhappy Re: Xbox 360 HD-DVD Drive on the PC

Going nuts trying to get this working. I bought PowerDVD Ultra, so I'm fine on the software front. But I have an nVidia 8800 GTS 640MB video card running on Windows XP SP2, and that seems to be a problem. The driver for this card doesn't include the PureVideo HD decoder - for the 8000 series of cards nVidia have only included this in the Vista drivers. So I bought PureVideo as well.

The CyberLink HD-DVD readiness check program they have made available still says my video card drivers and monitor are keeping it from working. My monitor is not HDCP compliant but from what I've read I had gotten the impression that hooking up the monitor (Samsung 215TW) via an analog (VGA) cable would get around that.

I can see the drive itself .. and the contents. But when PowerDVD attempts to play it I get an error stating that there was a failure to enable VMR.

Has anyone got this working with an nVidia 8800 card on Windows XP with a non HDCP compliant monitor?

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril42 View Post
    Going nuts trying to get this working. I bought PowerDVD Ultra, so I'm fine on the software front. But I have an nVidia 8800 GTS 640MB video card running on Windows XP SP2, and that seems to be a problem. The driver for this card doesn't include the PureVideo HD decoder - for the 8000 series of cards nVidia have only included this in the Vista drivers. So I bought PureVideo as well.

The CyberLink HD-DVD readiness check program they have made available still says my video card drivers and monitor are keeping it from working. My monitor is not HDCP compliant but from what I've read I had gotten the impression that hooking up the monitor (Samsung 215TW) via an analog (VGA) cable would get around that.

I can see the drive itself .. and the contents. But when PowerDVD attempts to play it I get an error stating that there was a failure to enable VMR.

Has anyone got this working with an nVidia 8800 card on Windows XP with a non HDCP compliant monitor?
    PureVideo HD is a no-go in the current XP drivers. I believe HDCP support requires Vista as well. The flags requiring HDCP to be enabled are supposed to be disabled right now, as most users currently lack a fully compliant HDCP video path.

Give Slysoft AnyDVD a try... I think it might rectify your HDCP issue.

Intel 7820X, ASRock X299 Taichi, 32GB DDR4 3200, Radeon 290X, 8TB WD Gold with 32GB Optane cache