Thread: 110v to 220v

110v to 220v

My friend wants to buy a laptop and take it back to Europe with him. where they use 220v . What do I need to get the laptop running at 220v with out of burning it? I just want t omake sure that he will do the right thing.

Re: 110v to 220v

Many laptops have a universal power supply. Check the label on the power adaptor and see if the Input range is something like 100-240V. That would cover the laptop for 220V power as well as 110V.

Bare in mind too that European power points are different from the US. They're not even the same across Europe, but you should be able to get an multi-adaptor from the airport shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore View Post
    Bare in mind too that European power points are different from the US. They're not even the same across Europe, but you should be able to get an multi-adaptor from the airport shop.
    Either that or buy a replacement figure 8 or mickey mouse cable (depending which the laptop uses) which has a plug to suit the wall sockets in country the laptop will be used in. Might be cheaper than a power adaptor.