Compare two laptops

Both are 15.4" lappies. All prices canadian.

Toshiba Satellite A100-TA9C 15.4" Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83GHz Media Center Laptop 2GB ddr2 and 160GB hard drive
    Price: 1699$ (at Bestbuy.ca)

or

Acer Aspire AS5110-5202 AMD 64 X2 TL-60 2.0GHZ 2GB 160GB 15.4IN WXGA X1600 DVD+-RW XPMCE Notebook
    Price: 1549$ (ncix.com)

The former has a 7600Go with dedicated memory 128MB while the latter has an x1600 with 128MB dedicated memory.

Re: Compare two laptops

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Both are 15.4" lappies. All prices canadian.

Toshiba Satellite A100-TA9C 15.4" Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83GHz Media Center Laptop 2GB ddr2 and 160GB hard drive
    Price: 1699$ (at Bestbuy.ca)

or

Acer Aspire AS5110-5202 AMD 64 X2 TL-60 2.0GHZ 2GB 160GB 15.4IN WXGA X1600 DVD+-RW XPMCE Notebook
    Price: 1549$ (ncix.com)

The former has a 7600Go with dedicated memory 128MB while the latter has an x1600 with 128MB dedicated memory.

From what i read just lately ,Acer been geting BAD reviews on quality + Customer Support . You check it out .but I wont buy one of theirs .

Quote Originally Posted by 3legged dog View Post
    From what i read just lately ,Acer been geting BAD reviews on quality + Customer Support . You check it out .but I wont buy one of theirs .
    Can you please post a link to back up what you're saying?

There was a thread in here about Acer laptops recently:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=430809

Personally I would choose the former because although I prefer AMD processors, I don't think they're the best option for laptops. That's just my personal opinion though. They're very close in terms of performance and price, maybe swaying towards the Acer in those terms. You might like to look into the other features to help you decide.
    - which screen is better for you
    - what type of wireless NIC is in there? (do both have wireless A/B/G?)
    - is the RAM installed as one stick or two and is there a second slot to install another stick?
    - how many USB/firewire ports and PCMCIA slots and what other features does it have?
    - do both deals give you the option to upgrade to Vista?
    - do they have the same warranty?
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 11-24-2006 at 10:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Can you please post a link to back up what you're saying?

There was a thread in here about Acer laptops recently:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=430809

Personally I would choose the former because although I prefer AMD processors, I don't think they're the best option for laptops. That's just my personal opinion though. They're very close in terms of performance and price, maybe swaying towards the Acer in those terms. You might like to look into the other features to help you decide.
    - which screen is better for you
    - what type of wireless NIC is in there? (do both have wireless A/B/G?)
    - is the RAM installed as one stick or two and is there a second slot to install another stick?
    - how many USB/firewire ports and PCMCIA slots and what other features does it have?
    - do both deals give you the option to upgrade to Vista?
    - do they have the same warranty?
    Read this : http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx
    You will have look a little to find the article on main page. who do U believe ??? I dont no - But this mag has a good REP ......
    Last edited by 3legged dog; 11-25-2006 at 01:30 AM. Reason: added to it

Given that there's only about 30 people posting in there and just over 20 negative reports, I don't consider it a fair representation when you consider the total number of Acers sold worldwide. Secondly, these complaints are targeted at Acer in Europe and the UK. Acer is one of the companies whose international departments are independent of their foreign counterparts. As an example, the last two jobs I worked in sold Acer laptops and desktops in high volume. I don't recall hearing a single complaint about the service. In fact I heard mainly compliments which is somewhat unusual givent that people will usually be vocal about complaints but not with praise. That was in Australia. Not in the US or in the UK.

Having said that, all of the above is still heresay. Probably the best online representation of a product's reliability would be to find statistics on faulty hardware for each company and compare them to the same stats for other companies. I had a quick look for this with no luck, but ended up googling search terms like acer laptop issue and acer laptop problem and then replacing the word Acer with names like Dell, Sony, Toshiba, ASUS, IBM, Lenovo, Samsung, MSI, etc. Funny enough, Acer returned fewer hits than most of these names. I know it doesn't mean much without the total number of sales or perhaps more accurate search terms, but it is some indication that Acer aren't nearly as bad as the article and forum suggest - wel at least not compared to other brands

Actually I found a version of the Toshiba laptop with a 1.66GHz Core 2 Duo and similar specs, which is roughly the same price as the Acer, so now we are comparing 2 1500$ laptops.

Both screens are wxga. While I've seen the Toshiba in the flesh (silicon), the Acer is order only so I have never touched it.

How would you rate the 128MB x1600 mobility vs. the 128MB 7600Go?

I thought Turion X2's were dedicated mobile CPU's and I would expect heat dissipation to be on par with the Core 2 Duo.

not sure how they castrated the gards but the 7600 is better.that is if you take it for gaming alone.overall id go with the tosiba tough.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_raider View Post
    Actually I found a version of the Toshiba laptop with a 1.66GHz Core 2 Duo and similar specs, which is roughly the same price as the Acer, so now we are comparing 2 1500$ laptops.

Both screens are wxga. While I've seen the Toshiba in the flesh (silicon), the Acer is order only so I have never touched it.

How would you rate the 128MB x1600 mobility vs. the 128MB 7600Go?
    They're probably VERY close, but in order to properly compare them, you need to find out if they're 64-bit or 128-bit.

I thought Turion X2's were dedicated mobile CPU's and I would expect heat dissipation to be on par with the Core 2 Duo.
    Yeah it probably is. The A64's have been quite good all-round with heat dissipation. As I suggested earlier, my preference for Intel in laptops was based on my own opinions (and not hard facts). I probably should have kept my trap shut there. I've seen plenty of good AMD laptops. You might want to research a few detailed comparisons between the 1.66GHz Core2 Duo, the 1.83GHz Core2 Duo and the 2GHz Turion. Some the performance difference between processors isn't directly proportional to their operating frequency. If you do that, be sure to check a heap of reviews. Don't take just one or two for gospel Best thing you can do when buying a laptop is research as much as you can about them. It's an excellent way to filter through crap that a sales rep might spin to make a sale.

I've got a question, I've been trying to get a comparison on two different laptop's, and this seems like it might be a good place to try. I'm not sure if this is the right forum and I'm sorry if it isn't and will gladly repost in the right one if desired, but here's my issue, two laptops, acer aspire 4730z and a dell inspiron e1505 (1.6GHz model) I was just wondering if I could get a comparison report on which you think is better, some things I'm interested in is, speed, upgradability, performance, visual capabilities, i.e. gaming. Things that don't matter in the comparison given my situation are price, weight and other "physical aspects". I'm more worried about performance aspects. Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by demonrattler View Post
    I've got a question, I've been trying to get a comparison on two different laptop's, and this seems like it might be a good place to try. I'm not sure if this is the right forum and I'm sorry if it isn't and will gladly repost in the right one if desired
    No worries, we can leave it here if you like. Sorry for the late reply - have been flat out.

Also, welcome to PCPer forums

Quote Originally Posted by demonrattler View Post
    but here's my issue, two laptops, acer aspire 4730z and a dell inspiron e1505 (1.6GHz model) I was just wondering if I could get a comparison report on which you think is better, some things I'm interested in is, speed, upgradability, performance, visual capabilities, i.e. gaming. Things that don't matter in the comparison given my situation are price, weight and other "physical aspects". I'm more worried about performance aspects. Thankyou.
    Both of the products you listed are product series, meaning that there are a range of variations in terms of CPU, GPU, screen type and chipset. They will both have Model Numbers which will give us more detailed information. Model number is usually printed on a sticker on the underside of the laptop. Alternatively, if you can provide a link to where you're intending to purchase them from, or if you have access to a more detailed spec sheet, that would be most helpful.

Dell no longer provide a specs page for the E1505 series, however they do have a product page for it's sister product (Inspiron 6400) under their business laptop listings. The manuals and service details list the 6400 and E1505 as one and the same. However, there's a lot of evidence that the specifications for the Inspiron E1505 extends beyond the stated specs for the Inspiron 6400 - ranging from considerably less powerful than the Acer Aspire 4370Z to considerably more powerful.

Acer Aspire 4370Z
    Dell Inspiron 6400

What would help us most is processor model numbers. After that, the type of graphics adaptor is useful, as is the screen type. If you could get the chipset type, that can help too. From that we can probably extrapolate all the details we need.

Beyond that, it's worth pointing out that both of these machines are budget machines and neither of these are really suited to games. They will both play many titles games with low quality graphics settings, but don't expect them to play anything fancy. For that, you'd be much better off getting a desktop PC.

Perhaps a better way about going about this is to let us know what your budget is and seeing if we can suggest something suitable?