Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reallocated Sector Count

What exactly is this and is my drive in trouble? Let me explain. I currently have two 250GB Hitachi T7K250 drives in my system. I was going through my flash drive of downloaded goodies and came across the new HDTUNE 2.52 that I never bothered to check out in the past. I installed it and decided to browse around for some info on my drives. One drive showed nothing out of the usual however selecting the second drive had a line bolded and highlighted in yellow with this information apparently taken from S.M.A.R.T.

(05) Reallocated Sector Count Current 100 Worst 100 Threshold 5 Data 1 Status OK.

I understand it says status ok but why is this particular line in yellow making it obvious something could be wrong?

the other drive says this

(05) Reallocated Sector Count Current 100 Worst 100 Threshold 5 Data 0 Status OK.

That line has a 0 instead of a 1 and is NOT highlighted in yellow?

I don't know how big a sector is and from browsing on google it mentions that an error occured on my drive (though don't have a clue when, could have been today, could have been a year ago, I dunno) and a part of that drive has been remapped or reallocated to another part of the drive and marked as 'bad'.

I don't like the sound of this. The drive works great, no issues to speak of, and I would never have noticed this had I not launched HDTUNE (ignorance is bliss right?). Latest Everest S.M.A.R.T. readings show the exact same thing.

Is my drive in trouble? I don't think this is 'normal' to be happening is it? Does it happen often to drives and not to worry about? It says threshold is 5 and I have 1 already, not a whole lot of headroom I don't think. What could have caused this and more importantly is there a way to remedy this allocated bad sector back to good use? How much space am I losing due to this reallocation that is now marked as 'bad'?

Any info, hopefully thorough would be much appreciated. I am a stickler when it comes to my computer and seeing things like this literally make me sad.

Thanks a ton for reading all that. Thanks even more for sorting me out.
    Modded Antec P160 w/ OCZ Powerstream 600w
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D->SLI w/ VC-RE (Bios 406BTA)
    X2 4800+ w/ TT Big Typhoon w/ Panaflo H1A
    2GB OCZ PC4000 Platinum EB
    2 X WD 150GB Raptor Raid 0
    2 X Hitachi T7K250 250GB SATA2
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Powercolor X1900XTX w/ Accelero X2
    BFG Physx PPU w/ Vantec Iceberq4 Pro
    Samsung 204B
    Logitech G15 + MX518 w/ Everglide Ricochet mat + skates
    APC RS1200 UPS

Re: Reallocated Sector Count

SMART data can be helpfull, but it is not always reliable when using third-party programs to read it. Always use the drive manufacturer's diagnostics for this kind of thing. Download the Drive Fitness Test and instructions at the following link.

http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

Thanks BMW. I have ran drive fitness and the drive came out ok, no errors to be found. I am just curious however as to more info regarding what reallocated sector count is and why one drive has it and one doesnt? How big is a sector and is a reading of 1 a bad thing, that sort of thing you know?

Thanks for the response though, I guess I am just looking for a little more =).
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

All hard drives maintain what is called a spare sectors pool. These are sectors that are normally never used, but are mapped into the user area of the drive when one of the sectors in the user area goes bad. The critical/threshold value for this and other SMART parameters are not always the same from one make and model of drive to the next. Not all drives even monitor the same parameters. This is why I always recommend using the manufacturer's diagnostics as opposed to a "general purpose" third party utility.

Now, a bad sector can be hard (media damage), or soft, which is not physical damage, but can be caused by external factors such as windows itself and power glitches. Using the manufacturer's diagnostics can often recover bad sectors but doing so entails zeroing the drive, resulting in the loss of all data on the drive. When successful it returns the drive to what is essentially like-new condition.

ok so a value of 1 is nothing to worry about? It isn't a large amount of space allocated that can't be used? I just don't understand how much this value of 1 is or how much space is actually allocated by the manufacturer for my particular drive. The fact that the threshold is only 5 is very low and not a lot of headroom is present with me already getting a 1.

Once a sector is moved and allocated as bad is it bad for good or do you think zeroing the drive can bring this bad sector back and have that value reading of 1 now read a 0 like its twin brother next door in my case? I just don't like seeing stuff like this. The fact that SMART picked it up means something is amiss however the DFT test shows that my drive is in proper working condition.

Important question here, since the drive is manufactured to deliberately have these 'sections' put aside for situations just like this does that mean this is normal to happen on a drive or should it still not happen? Have you ever seen this on a drive and worried or not worried about it?

Thanks again. I emailed HGST about this as well to see what they have to say about my particular drive.

Say, you know what is really odd? I had disabled SMART monitoring capabilities on both my Hitachi drives upon initial installation into my system using their DFT tool. I verified just now that both drives have SMART disabled. With this being the case how are values still changing from within SMART and how are programs able read these values?
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous View Post
    ok so a value of 1 is nothing to worry about? It isn't a large amount of space allocated that can't be used?
    One sector is usually 512 bytes.

I just don't understand how much this value of 1 is or how much space is actually allocated by the manufacturer for my particular drive. The fact that the threshold is only 5 is very low and not a lot of headroom is present with me already getting a 1.
    Given that info I would recommend zeroing the drive.

Once a sector is moved and allocated as bad is it bad for good or do you think zeroing the drive can bring this bad sector back and have that value reading of 1 now read a 0 like its twin brother next door in my case? I just don't like seeing stuff like this.
    I understand your concern, especially in light of Hitachi (then IBM's) problems with bad sectors. Zeroing the drive will will attempt to reuse those sectors. Those that can't be reused would definately prompt me to replace the drive.

The fact that SMART picked it up means something is amiss however the DFT test shows that my drive is in proper working condition.
    Again, I never trust what is reported by a BIOS or third-party program interpretation of SMART data. It isn't at all uncommon for false alarms to occur.

Important question here, since the drive is manufactured to deliberately have these 'sections' put aside for situations just like this does that mean this is normal to happen on a drive or should it still not happen? Have you ever seen this on a drive and worried or not worried about it?
    Yes, it is normal for bad sectors to be remapped. It happens on all drives eventually, usually silently/invisibly. In most cases the pool isn't used up, rather the drive fails for other reasons. The problems start when the pool of spares reaches a critically low level. This is what happened during the wide-spread rash of IBM 75GXP failures a few years ago.

Thanks again. I emailed HGST about this as well to see what they have to say about my particular drive.
    Good. Please do let us know what their reply is.

Say, you know what is really odd? I had disabled SMART monitoring capabilities on both my Hitachi drives upon initial installation into my system using their DFT tool. I verified just now that both drives have SMART disabled. With this being the case how are values still changing from within SMART and how are programs able read these values?
    Interesting. I have no explanation for that.

Thanks for your reply yet again. I too am stumped as to how the information is being read if SMART has been disabled since day one on these drives.

RMAing the drive isn't going to be an option as the STATUS is still stated as OK according to SMART and the DFT test passes without issue. I am sure Hitachi is going to want to see some sort of issue before they grant me an RMA. The fact that the drive is working fine as far as I can tell should lead me to stop worrying. Had I not have checked the readings via Everest and HDtune I would never have known there was even something to suspect.

I understand all drive makes/models have different values. I have no idea why Hitachi only alloted 5 as a threshold but at least my value is a 1 and not a 4!

I will keep an eye on the drive over the next little while to see if it gets any worse. I doubt it will clear itself up on its own. I have had these drives for a little over a year and without checking the SMART status of these before yesterday I have no clue how long that value of 1 has been noted. Could have been a year ago yet I noticed no issue with how the drive performs.

I will surely let you know what Hitachi has stated in their reply if they even do reply. Knowing customer services based emails I am expecting a really vague answer or one that is totally off to the ball to my question.

Perhaps are you right and the third party programs are causing a false alarm however two programs saying the same thing makes me wonder as well as the fact that I have two identical drives like these. Same manufacturing date and time too, serial number is only off by a bit from each other. I would think if the SMART data was read incorrectly but a third party program it would do so on both drives yes with them being the same?

With my having a value 1, does that mean only 512bytes have been allocated as bad or am I reading this wrong? That is peanuts man. I understand better how this is working by you mentioning that all drives have this space and eventually they get filled up as the drive gets older and wears thinner. I highly doubt I am even close to saturation the amount of space the drive has alloted so I should just stop worrying. I will try zeroing the drive down the road when I get to backing up my stuff. The reason I don't want to get another drive is the fact that I deliberately wanted both my drives to be IDENTICAL for performance/compatibility when dealing with RAID. I find some manufacturers make 'silent' changes to products over time, even with same model numbers. I just dont want to get a drive that is a year later than my other one to find out I have issues due to differently tuned firmware etc.

ONE LAST THING I PROMISE! Is there any risk to zeroing a drive that I should know about? I heard in the past that this is bad and may render the drive useless and no longer detectable. After zeroing it is my RAID controller (Nvidia NF4) still going to be able to find the drive to take care of a RAID array? Will Windows setup still be able to recognize it to format it? Will FDISK and other partitioning software being able to find the drive to take care of it? Just asking.

Sorry, sorry for the long response. Hopefully all this babbling may prove useful to someone else if they ever search upon this question in the forum at a later date.

Thanks as usual BMW, your time and answers are always appreciated.
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

Thanks for your reply yet again. I too am stumped as to how the information is being read if SMART has been disabled since day one on these drives.
    Disabling SMART in the BIOS may have an effect on that.

RMAing the drive isn't going to be an option as the STATUS is still stated as OK according to SMART and the DFT test passes without issue. I am sure Hitachi is going to want to see some sort of issue before they grant me an RMA. The fact that the drive is working fine as far as I can tell should lead me to stop worrying. Had I not have checked the readings via Everest and HDtune I would never have known there was even something to suspect.

I understand all drive makes/models have different values. I have no idea why Hitachi only alloted 5 as a threshold but at least my value is a 1 and not a 4!

I will keep an eye on the drive over the next little while to see if it gets any worse. I doubt it will clear itself up on its own. I have had these drives for a little over a year and without checking the SMART status of these before yesterday I have no clue how long that value of 1 has been noted. Could have been a year ago yet I noticed no issue with how the drive performs.

I will surely let you know what Hitachi has stated in their reply if they even do reply. Knowing customer services based emails I am expecting a really vague answer or one that is totally off to the ball to my question.
    That wouldn't surprise me, but then again Hitachi has been working hard on improving their support.

Perhaps are you right and the third party programs are causing a false alarm however two programs saying the same thing makes me wonder as well as the fact that I have two identical drives like these. Same manufacturing date and time too, serial number is only off by a bit from each other. I would think if the SMART data was read incorrectly but a third party program it would do so on both drives yes with them being the same?
    I have no explanation for that.

With my having a value 1, does that mean only 512bytes have been allocated as bad or am I reading this wrong?
    I'm sure there is a scale factor of some kind involved there, perhaps 1 denotes 25% of the available spares have been used.

That is peanuts man. I understand better how this is working by you mentioning that all drives have this space and eventually they get filled up as the drive gets older and wears thinner. I highly doubt I am even close to saturation the amount of space the drive has alloted so I should just stop worrying. I will try zeroing the drive down the road when I get to backing up my stuff. The reason I don't want to get another drive is the fact that I deliberately wanted both my drives to be IDENTICAL for performance/compatibility when dealing with RAID. I find some manufacturers make 'silent' changes to products over time, even with same model numbers. I just dont want to get a drive that is a year later than my other one to find out I have issues due to differently tuned firmware etc.
    That is always possible, of course, but there is little that can be done about it. I do recommend keeping an eye on the bad sector count using DFT.

ONE LAST THING I PROMISE! Is there any risk to zeroing a drive that I should know about? I heard in the past that this is bad and may render the drive useless and no longer detectable. After zeroing it is my RAID controller (Nvidia NF4) still going to be able to find the drive to take care of a RAID array? Will Windows setup still be able to recognize it to format it? Will FDISK and other partitioning software being able to find the drive to take care of it? Just asking.
    You'll have to put each drive, one at a time, on a non-RAID port in order to run the diagnostics and/or zero the drive. Zeroing a drive will wipe out all data stored on the drive, returning it to what is essentially fresh out of the box condition. So you would then treat it as if it were a brand new drive, never used.

Sorry, sorry for the long response. Hopefully all this babbling may prove useful to someone else if they ever search upon this question in the forum at a later date.

Thanks as usual BMW, your time and answers are always appreciated.
    You're welcome. I hope this helps.

..Hit is mine favorite 2,after Seag,..alwais disable SMART
    ..it is dis by default on all newest biossis...meeans lett
    progs to do hdd...,to see if problems with U hdd
    do this:,attach him on ok comp,make fat32 primary,before this
    copy data, all will gone,than put win 98 flopy and format C:
    and U will see if have bad sec! If, than from Hit make flopy
    to repair this....
    ....and if hdd make no sounds chance is ok to be ok again.,
    ....to prevent this must defrag oftten where c is.!

Hi again, a little update.

Last night I decided to randomly check the status again via hdtune/everest. It was now reading a Reallocation Sector Count of 2. I freaked out thinking my drive must be failing as this number is now higher over night. I decided to take desperate measures. Before I did anything however I did read a bit more on the values and what they mean when listed above. Apparently my drive was still in very good shape, if not perfect. When dealing with the Current/Worse values of 100 that basically means that Hitachi set a value of 100 for a perfectly working drive (this number can be different depending on the manufacturer of your drive, up to a number of 255). Since my value was also 100 it means my drive really hasn't degraded from what Hitachi expects it to be at when running optimally. Now, the threshold rating of 5 is ACTUALLY for the current/worst value reading. If the value drops from 100 down to below 5 you are in some SERIOUS, SERIOUS trouble. I originally thought the 5 threshold reading was for the amount of Reallocation Sector Counts but this isn't the case. I still had 100/100 out of a possibility of 5 being the lowest, I was still however getting Reallocation counts and I didn't know why. From reading around apparently this can be caused from a bad PSU or from high temperatures or massive shock/vibration. Now, a bad psu usually shows other system issues or Reallocation Sector Counts on all drives which I wasn't seeing either of. Temp rating according to Hitachi Drive Fitness Test utility is anywhere from 10-60 to be safe. I have never been above 38c which is actually quite good. My drives are mounted very well with rubber gorments to avoid vibration in my case so all is good there too.

Now for what I did. I moved all my data onto the secondary Hitachi drive (same model). I then enabled the SMART parameter in the bios AND through the drives firmware FTOOL utility and Zeroed the drive. MAN DID THIS TAKE LONG. Well over an hour for sure. I then ran a full diagnostics on the disk when it was done and it came back fine. Unfortunately the utility doesn't give a breakdown on each paramater of S.M.A.R.T but only status which was listed as 'good'. I then formatted the drive via disk manager in Windows XP when it was finally done and checked the SMART reading from both HDtune and Everest again. Guess what?! ALL WAS GRAVY. My Reallocation Sector Count was now back to a reading of 0. I have no clue if it will stay this way but I will definately keep an eye on it. I figured if the drive truly was physically bad that even zeroing it wouldn't have helped but the fact that these numbers reset them self is giving me some hope. I am praying to the Lord Almighty that these don't return, especially not in a short period of time after all the work I put into getting it this way cause I can honestly not think of anything else to remedy this. If they do ever happen again in the future (PLEASE NO!) I will at least have a plausible shot at fixing them again.

Sorry for the long post, just figured I would share and hopefully have someone learn from what I have done.
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

Yes, there is a scale factor, so to speak, as to the sector count value that SMART returns. Overall I think you are in good shape. I do have one recommendation though, and that is, if you don't have a surge supressor AND a UPS, get them.

Ill admit I have neither. My system is hooked up to a power conditioner bar but that is it. I am glad to hear the clarification on being in good shape. I am also glad the threshold reading of 5 was for the current/worst value rating and for the max allowed Reallocated Sector Units. HUGE difference. I still have no clue why another creeped on me last night bringing my total to 2 from 1. Any ideas? Do you think it may have to do with dirty/unstable power hence the recommendation for a UPS?

Have you ever seen these errors in person on any of your drives? Have you ever looked? lol.

As well, does zeroing the drive usually clear up these reallocated sector units or was I just lucky? Are chances high they will come back?

I know these questions are impossible to answer, just an expert idea would be appreciated. Thanks BMW.
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

Ill admit I have neither. My system is hooked up to a power conditioner bar but that is it. I am glad to hear the clarification on being in good shape. I am also glad the threshold reading of 5 was for the current/worst value rating and for the max allowed Reallocated Sector Units. HUGE difference. I still have no clue why another creeped on me last night bringing my total to 2 from 1. Any ideas? Do you think it may have to do with dirty/unstable power hence the recommendation for a UPS?
    Yes, as well as the extra system protection it affords.

Have you ever seen these errors in person on any of your drives? Have you ever looked? lol.
    Oh yes, I have. Many many times on IBM's 75GXP and 60GXP models. I have replaced over 100 of them. The only other drive failures that happened on my rigs have been bearing and/or motor failures on maxtors.

As well, does zeroing the drive usually clear up these reallocated sector units or was I just lucky? Are chances high they will come back?
    That's hard to say, but in general, if a system isn't on a UPS and power is flakey then chances are the problem will go away when a UPS is added. If the trend continues after getting a UPS then it is definately something to worry about. I've seen that scenario several times. I must be honest with you right now, however, and say that although the IBM/Hitachi problems seem to have largly disappeared, I am still leary of them. Bad sectors in particular catch my attention in a big hurry. I would keep a very close eye on it even after you get a UPS, to spot any trends.

I know these questions are impossible to answer, just an expert idea would be appreciated. Thanks BMW.
    You're welcome.

=)

Well I have had two identical drives since about August of 05, so well over a year now. One is in tip top shape, 100/100 across the board and not a single reallocation sector count. The other is 100/100 across the board except for those few reallocations that I hope I have fixed up.

I will look into a good quality UPS for the Christmas savings season. Besides dirty power in my house I dunno what it could be cause it is on a power conditioner which should clean up the power. I also am using a good high quality OCZ 600w PSU which should be more than enough to power my system in sig.
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

Your system specs look fine to me. If, by chance, you are overclocking and/or using memory timing settings that are a bit optimistic (tight), this may be part of the problem as well, as main memory is directly involved in all DMA mode data moves to and from the drive.