Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Guide for proper grounding?

Is there a good guide for proper grounding of a system? I ask because I've encountered numerous issues over the past few years and I'm wondering if its the root cause of all the problems I've had.

What do people do about static? I can't seem to make the problem go away, but I fear getting a humidifier only to see no improvement.

thanks,
    ydns
    new rig:
    Abit KN8 Ultra
    Antec 550Watt NEOPower NeoHE
    AMD 64 FX-53 SledgeHammer 1GHz FSB Socket 939
    1 GB (2x512) PQI Turbo Platinum PC3200 2-2-2-5 (PQI3200-1024DPU)
    1 GB (2x512) PNY Verto PC3200 2-2-2-5 (D21GPC32GMR)
    LeadTek px6600 GT TDH
    WD Raptor WD740GD
    Antec P160 case

Re: Guide for proper grounding?

What is the source of the static, and have you checked your home wiring grounds?

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

As far as static, I'm refering to static electricity. caused by me. I'm fairly careful about it, but I really want to make sure my system is as protected as possible. Is there a special system pad or technique to reduce or eliminate any static concern?

As for house power, I rent and I use surge protectors. On the surge protector it has a grounded light. I can't speak for the "quality" of the grounding, but the surge protector thinks its there.
    Last edited by ydns; 11-29-2006 at 10:44 PM.
    new rig:
    Abit KN8 Ultra
    LeadTek px6600 GT TDH
    WD Raptor WD740GD
    Antec P160 case

As far as static goes i just touch the unpainted metal of my cases every now and then and so far no probs yet.

u could use the wrist things,and of course touch the case while pc is on.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Thanks for the ideas pcgeek and dangtx, I'm hoping that there is a more permanent solution possible than a strap.

And of course, when I building systems I'm very careful about static. I just wonder about proper grounding through the (2nd) floor carpet, or if I need to touch the radiator or something.

Thanks, and if anyone else has other ideas please let me know.
    new rig:
    Abit KN8 Ultra
    LeadTek px6600 GT TDH
    WD Raptor WD740GD
    Antec P160 case

Go to a hardware store and get an outlet tester, they are cheap insurance.

Perhaps run a wire from the ground outlet to near your mouse where it will be handy.

Pehaps put your anti staic mat under your chair position so static will be safely drained off before you touch your computer.
    Here are some modern types, maybe you can find someting you can use
    http://tmt.stores.yahoo.net/mats.html

Early in the pc days, offices often used a big hard plastic pad under the office chair that was supposed to prevent static developing from the carpet. Also you can get anti-static spray, (one boss I had used liquid fabric softener)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

I'm trying to figure out what you're worried about--I work as an EE, in a supposedly static free environment. I can tell you that proper grounding is already done for you, and that if you're not sticking a hand inside your computer, you don't need to worry about static.

For proper grounding of the chassis, you need a grounded outlet. That's it, that's all. To properly ground your MB indide the chassis, well, you can't help but ground it. The 0V lines (or Ground or black wires, whatever you want to call them) are directly connected to the chassis through the PSU. So every single piece of equipment in your chassis is grounded properly. That's all there is to it.

As to anti-static protection, all connectors on your PC have to pass a static suppression test. In other words, any connection on the outside of your PC is capable of suppressing a 15kV static shock. You and your chair don't generate that much static. The only time you need to worry about static is when you're working on your PC. In those situations, do what those above have mentioned and touch the metal case (doesn't matter if it's grounded--that is, plugged in--or not), or use an anti-static wrist strap which is clipped to your case.
    That's a sweet rig in your sig, but does it fold?

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'

How old is the wiring in your home
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Well, as I said before I rent, so I don't know. I also doubt if I'm gonna get this info from my landlord. But I will try and pose the question to them.
    Regardless of what they say though, I can't force them to upgrade the wiring. As long as it meets code, I won't get much. I'm looking for more direct changes I can make to improve things. I'm probably gonna get a small humidifier and start there.

Thanks UncleBob!
    new rig:
    Abit KN8 Ultra
    LeadTek px6600 GT TDH
    WD Raptor WD740GD
    Antec P160 case

OK, I know what you mean. Let's start with this, you have access to a plug tester? I tests grounds at the outlet:

THis is a simple one you can get at any hardware store or home center. It tests ground, neutral, etc.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

And if the house wiring is not grounded properly, it is not up to code (unless the building was built before ground wires)

A good place to start is your choice of clothes. Identify which clothes you have that generate lots of static and avoid wearing them when working with PC's. That applies to shoes too. Avoid moving your feet when you're working on the PC. I like to find something other than the PC to earth myself on. Plugged in PC's are good, but if you have a permanent object that you can earth on, use that too. Good to know if you're working on laptops or other devices that don't have earth through mains power. I used to touch a metal shelf behind me and my bench was also grounded. A good jolt sometimes, but it'd help discharge static.

I'm not so sure about trusting grounding of a PC when it's not plugged in. What happens if you remove the PSU to replace it, then walk away to grab another one, generating a static charge? What if you're dismantling/building a PC or the components aren't connected to the PC? I was taught to ground off on something else before working on electronics. Now it's force of habit.

EDIT: On the flipside, if you wanted static so you could shock your mates, check this out.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 12-07-2006 at 10:43 AM.

The point of grounding yourself to the case is that it doesn't matter if it's actually at 0V or not. As long as you and your case are at the same voltage, there's no voltage difference on components, which is what fries them.
    That's a sweet rig in your sig, but does it fold?

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'

I've fried 2 electronic thermostats (at 50.00 a piece) at my work just by taking of my coat and turning up the heat. I now have a big yellow sticker that says ground yourself.