Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

EAX not supported in Vista

I just read on the bit-tech site that EAX is only supported on the XFi in Vista and that is through a driver work around.
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/11...eax_after_all/

I don't really trust Creative to be able to pull this off satisfactorily.

Thinking I should sell the Xfi before Vista comes out. What do you guys think?

Re: EAX not supported in Vista

Hallelujah!!! Its about damn time somebody sticks a boot up Creatives ass. Even though I own an X-Fi, Im glad to know that theres a possibility that I may have a broader choice of soundcards if I wanna hear everything in my games .
    Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    PCPer CAN'T have a dollar value attached. For those of us, PcPer is worthless!

Interesting read. I imagine Creative will have some good and some not so good drivers for EAX support but I think more of a concern is the lack of support for Audigy and Live! series. That's pathetic. My Audigy 1 still works a treat, as do my Audigy 2 cards - and one of them is PCMCIA. Now what do Creative propose I do about EAX gaming on my laptop?! Bugger that. I'm sure we're going to see lots of alternative drivers or enough uproar to see Creative bow to pressure.

This is basically microsoft dumping Direct3D. Not only will EAX be disabled in hardware, but so will anything else like A3D, Miles, etc. Basically, if you have lots of DirectSound games and a hardware-based card, don't upgrade.

Note that this is only for games that use DirectSound. The newer games that use OpenAL will continue to operate as they should.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Quote Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
    Thanks Stormy13, that read made me feel better about hanging onto the Xfi.

I wonder about the viability of releasing patches for DirectSound games to give them OpenAL support. I really don't want to have to keep around a dual boot system forever but can you imagine FEAR with stereo sound?

Any one know what sound format Oblivion, Neverwinter Nights 2 and Everquest 2 use?

Some new updates, custompc.co.uk and ExtremeTech.com are both reporting that Creative has created a new driver for Windows Vista that will provide hardware acceleration for the X-FI series cards only. They both have an article on the new driver in development.

http://www.custompc.co.uk/custompc/n...after-all.html

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2064228,00.asp
    Last edited by MariusDelirious; 11-29-2006 at 12:21 PM.
    Intel Core 2 Dou E7500 2.93ghz
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
    Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
    G.SKILL PI Black 8GB (4 x 2GB) RAM
    EVGA GTX 560 1024mb
    3X Western Digital 640gb SATA HDD (32mb cache)
    X-FI XtremeMusic + Logitech 5300e 5.1 Spkrs
    CD-DVD-RW
    Antec Nine Hundred Case
    Antec TruePower Trio 650 PSU
    Dell 23 inch WS LCD - SR2320L

Certainly unexpected for this move here, i never thought microsoft would dump their own api in favor of somebody else's..maybe someone at ms didn't like that only creative's cards could do more than eax 2.0 and decided to level the playing field via openal?

Of course it stinks for me using an Audigy 2 zs, but I don't intend on upgrading to vista until i'm required to (or i do a major system upgrade..whatever comes first) but maybe some good non-creative sound cards for gaming will finally come out

not sure.

I have a feeling the reason no one else's cards do EAX 3 and above has something to do with the fact that no one else's cards can do spatial calculations in hardware. I'm sure Creative would be more than happy to license it. I guess we'll never know for sure, though.

Even OpenAL does better on cards with more hardware capability. A card that relies on the CPU to do it is not going to be as good at spatial calculations. Also, with the Xfi's DSP being as good as a 3Ghz P4 (at doing these types of things, not in general) at 100%, I think the trend will continue to favor hardware DSPs.

Note that EAX is fully supported on OpenAL. I'm sure you'll still see it around as it does add value. Battlefield2/2142 really does shine in the Xfi rendering mode (and yea, I tried it on Software and it isn't as good).
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Quote Originally Posted by midyxadryl View Post
    Hallelujah!!! Its about damn time somebody sticks a boot up Creatives ass. Even though I own an X-Fi, Im glad to know that theres a possibility that I may have a broader choice of soundcards if I wanna hear everything in my games .
    Anyone else find it funny he is applauding "Microsoft's" stab at Creative's monopoly? Answer to this simply is don't upgrade to Vista, I promise your drivers for Xfi you have now will continue working fine in Window's XP. Windows XP if it follows the path Win98 did will be good for at least another 8-9 years.

CPU-Z My Heat
    Request Granted. Safe Passage Guaranteed via JimZ

I do doubt this really has much to do with Creative. MS is just moving to something better. Creative has embraced OpenAL and the current drivers are pretty good.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Quote Originally Posted by steven975 View Post
    I do doubt this really has much to do with Creative. MS is just moving to something better. Creative has embraced OpenAL and the current drivers are pretty good.
    Doesn't Creative own the license for OpenAL?

Kmat
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial]Truth comes into being when the mind discovers its fallibility. When it discovers what it is capable of and what it isnt.
    J. Krishnamurti

The perfect way is only for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Kmat View Post
    Doesn't Creative own the license for OpenAL?

Kmat
    They may be deeply involved with it, but OpenAL is open source,

OpenAL Source Code
    The OpenAL source code is available via Subversion from http://www.openal.org/repos/openal.
    http://www.openal.org/downloads.html

What exactly is the big deal with creative anyway? Doesn't the onboard Nvidia use Dolby Digital?

no.

Don't confuse dolby digital and EAX. They are mutually exclusive.

The Dolby digital is only a means to transmit 5.1 over one signal. THAT's IT!

EAX is the method used to actually CREATE the 5.1 channel source. It involves all the spatial calculations that send the effects to each channel. Dolby Digital merely tranmits it.

If you only have Dolby Digital with codec-based effects engine, it is still going to be crap, just 5.1 crap. Basically it would be the same as you got over analog. The dolby digital does not add any effects, just transmits them. same for DTS.

Nvidia's soundstorm had a hardware DSP to do EAX 2.0 and had Dolby Digital to transmit it. It was a very nice solution for its day.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case