View Poll Results: Whose posts in this thread were most helpful?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • 081423 (mine)

1 50.00%
  • BWM

2 100.00%
  • begavin

0 0%
  • Mjölnir

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. "

Help! I did a disk defragment with the disk defragmenter included in XP and the next time I started it up it didn't get past the part saying "boot from CD... Boot from CD" so i used the XP Pro disk to start the recovery console. I used chkdsk to check the disk. It detected some errors and fixed them. I rebooted and the next time I started it up it said something about ntoskrnl.exe is missing. I can't recall. Well I just booted up with the Windows XP Pro CD (again) and (after getting some help on the internet using the Knoppix Linux Live CD) I used the recovery console to extract the ntoskrnl.exe file from the CD (oh, and the CD is the original release of Professional and I installed sp2 on the system, also Pro) and the next time I rebooted it displayed the following message:

Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
    Please report this problem as :
    load needed DLLs for kernel.
    Please contact your support person to report this problem.

I tried booting into safe mode (all of them), didn't work, and Last good configuration, didn't work again!. I also tried to replace hal.dll (from the CD) and ntoskrnl.exe (from another computer, then again from the CD. I'm now struggling to use linux to extract a sp2 installation file for IT pros to get the ntoskrnl.exe and the hal.dll files.) I also tried using bootcfg /rebuild but it said that bootcfg couldn't do it's job because the disk has errors. I used chkdsk and it said it was clean. I ran chkdsk /r a few times and every time it found and i assume fixed some errors. Please help by finding a solution other than reinstalling XP!
    Last edited by 081423; 11-29-2006 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Just Revising! (I'M SO FRUSTRATED!)

Re: Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.

I recommend running the drive manufacturers diagnostics on that drive before anything else. If it has developed a problem then it is a waste of time to keep trying to repair windows.

Cool Re: Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. "

Good news-the diagnostics reported NO problems on my WDC HDD. Is there any other way that can help?

Re: Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software."

More than likely, it is FDisk and Format time.

Sorry to be the herald of bad tidings, but I've seen defrag bugs destroy WinXP in the past. There is no recovery if things are really scrambled.

The best you can hope for, is loading Bart-PE or other externally loaded operating system, so you can recover your data files. If they are scrambled also, there is no getting them back.

I suggest having your tech make a GHOST image of the dead disk so you have a safety net to work over.

Post Re: Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. "

No thing is scrambled at first glance but one file is missing when I try to find it in knoppix. It just won't start up so what's wrong? And I want to fix it my self.

Re: Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software.

Quote Originally Posted by 081423 View Post
    Good news-the diagnostics reported NO problems on my WDC HDD. Is there any other way that can help?
    If the drive came up clean after the full set of non-destructive tests, not just the quickie, then the drive can be ruled out as the cause. Next thing I would do is run memtest to rule out main memory, as that is involved in all reads/writes.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    If the drive came up clean after the full set of non-destructive tests, not just the quickie, then the drive can be ruled out as the cause. Next thing I would do is run memtest to rule out main memory, as that is involved in all reads/writes.
    How to test the main memory? What tool shall I use? I am using knoppix on my computer and I can run Wine Windows Emulator. (I did the full diagnostic test on the HDD) And Bgavin said that he had seen defrag distroy xp in the past.
    Last edited by 081423; 12-01-2006 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Just Revising

www.memtest86.com - save the ISO file for CD's to your hard drive and then right-click and Open with your burning program. Follow the prompts to get it to burn the CD. Now boot your PC using that CD (make sure you set the CD drive before the hard drive in the BIOS under Boot Sequence). Any errors indicate a probable RAM issue.

Thumbs up Re: Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. "

Thank You

Thumbs down Re: Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. "

Bad News. Memtest86 reported 2538 errors! No wonder defrag destroyed my system. Thanks for helping me diagnose the problem. Now I need help on repairing my system.

If you are overclocking then return all CPU and memory related settings to their defaults. Then run memtest again. If you are not overclocking or using overly tight memory timing then run memtest on eack stick of memory, one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by BWM View Post
    If you are overclocking then return all CPU and memory related settings to their defaults.
    How?
    Last edited by 081423; 12-01-2006 at 07:19 PM.

Re: Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. "

This is strange... When I test the SDR SDRAM chips, they both work EXCEPT when they work together. I wonder why this is.

Try raising the RAM voltage in the BIOS just a wee bit. Also please state the make and model number of your memory sticks.

Re: Error Message: "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. "