Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

"I support the troops, but not the war"

I heard Toby Keith say this awhile back......

To me, this has always been such a laughable mantra of the left.....but I've never really been able to get to the bottom of the hipocracy of it until I heard Bill Bennett speak to it recently......

What the left means to imply by the title quotation.... is that the soldiers are to be pitied.... as the dups and victims [of a mistaken, badly waged, rightwing war]. They don't support the troops in any honorable way [for the sacrifices they are making].
    Once again, proving the point that the left loaths the military for it's core purpose - breaking things and killing people. They see no valor in that. No honor in that.

I have to wonder out loud how quickly they (the left) will scream for the soldiers to GET BACK to Iraq - to stop the genocide that will ensue - if we pull out early which by the way, looks more and more likely with each passing day :-(
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Re: "I support the troops, but not the war"

Are you seriously saying that if you have any other opinion on the war but supporting it then you hate the troops? So no matter what the reason, no matter what the war, you MUST support it or you don't support the troops, are you kidding me? .

I 100% support the troops and not the war. The troops did not decide to enter this war nor take part. There was a higher power that decided we should wage war against Iraq.

I take offense that you think you know how to interpret my take on the war. To me the only "laughable mantra" is your take on the saying "I support the troops." It sounds like you are trying to get on a soapbox

I know people on the right who support the troops and not the war including some soldiers.

Genocide? How about the genocide that happens in Africa that we have been bitching about for years. Genocide happens everywhere and it will no doubt happen in Iraq.

I am with Wiz, you got to be kidding me.....Sshhh /ignore

I bet I am unAmerican too huh?
    Last edited by liquidsoul; 11-29-2006 at 10:38 PM.

I see what he is saying even tho you guys are bashing him. I being a former soldier get the drift. I don't mind the saying it means something different for different people I guess.I do hate the little yellow magnets that say "I support the troops" especially the ones with "made in China" stamped on em.There are some I'm sure who mean the saying to pity the troops and somewhat degrade the troops intelligence. Not saying all have this attitude tho.

Ya really this post is the biggest example of generalization and blind thought I have ever seen, seriously how dare he blindly speculate what my, or anyone elses opinion on the troops are. In my opinion the only people who didn't the support the troops is the bush administration for not providing them with enough armor, and enough of their own comrades$ to win the war. Doing things like cutting funding for the signature injury in iraq TBI doesen't help either.

..Sshhh /ignore
    Bingo, there are some things I will not stand. Calling people who disagree with the war troop haters is one of the lowest tactics the right has conjured up in a long time. Think about what you're really saying before you post tripe like this. The troops don't make the decision to go to war, period.
    Last edited by Computerwiz; 11-29-2006 at 11:32 PM.

I question whether it is right to NOT support a war at all. The decision to go to war, the reasons behind it, the cost in money and lives; all things that must be questioned heavily before deciding to go to war. But once you're in the saddle, you gotta GO. Because at that point once you start questioning the reasons behind it, the troops are the ones who suffer.

Which is why it is so important to fully understand why we are going to war, what our goals are, and how things could change. This is where a more authoritarian government (read: not balanced on the short-term whims of the People) is a boon.

But once you're in the saddle, you gotta GO. Because at that point once you start questioning the reasons behind it, the troops are the ones who suffer.
    When you don't question the reason as to why thousands of OUR Americans are dieing and just let our government wage a bloody war right or wrong without any accountability, without any justice, without any concern for why OUR TROOPS ARE dieing, without any DEMAND to KNOW why they're dieing , especially when the reason has been changed about a dozen times, and the initial reason was completely unfounded. That is when we have a problem. When people are sent to die, there damn well better be questioning. The day that there isn't, then there should be concern. The families of slain soldiers deserve answers, as well as the citizens.
    Last edited by Computerwiz; 11-29-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Yes, but you don't question the moral reasoning behind death, in the middle of a gunfight. You blow the other guy away. Any profession trained to use violence is taught: the first step is determining beyond a reasonable doubt that you may want to utterly destroy whatever you point your weapon at. THEN you draw your gun. Which is all the military is in this country, a tool use by politicians. The pre-war wrangling is the determination step, that's when the anti-war politico's had their chance. They represent the best of us, they should damn well have known that troops would die, this would be expensive, and the Iraqi people might not love us. Now that the tanks are rolling, not following through is folly.

When you pull out your weapons, wave them around, but accomplish nothing other than casualties on your own side simply because you are unwilling to commit to your big words, you get Vietnam. Lots of american deaths for no reward.

The pre-war wrangling is the determination step, that's when the anti-war politico's had their chance. They represent the best of us, they should damn well have known that troops would die, this would be expensive, and the Iraqi people might not love us. Now that the tanks are rolling, not following through is folly.
    Maybe people trusted their government, how are people suppose to know whether or not the government was bullshitting, all anyone knew was that we were attacked on 9.11, and apparently Saddam was connected to it. There was no reason to doubt.

1. Rumsfeld said it would be over in a couple days, or a couple weeks, and MAYBE a couple months

2. Number 1 undermines any notion that it would be expensive, this was suppose to be done in no time

And then all the inaccurate claims about the war come out, about the reasoning, how long it would take, we were decieved on every cylinder. So when should we speak out, when everyone's already dead and the war is over?

When you pull out your weapons, wave them around, but accomplish nothing other than casualties on your own side simply because you are unwilling to commit to your big words, you get Vietnam. Lots of american deaths for no reward.
    When you get yourself into an unjustified quagmire you get Vietnam

Going into a fight without the will to do what ever it takes to win gets you
    quagmire Or worse defeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    The troops don't make the decision to go to war, period.

Uh, excuse me, have you forgotten that this is still an all volunteer army??

(Oh, I forgot, your ilk thinks they are too stupid to figure out there's an actually connection between signing up for the draft and actually having to go to fight a war.)
    Last edited by TMack409; 11-30-2006 at 08:40 AM.
    -TMack

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409 View Post

I have to wonder out loud how quickly they (the left) will scream for the soldiers to GET BACK to Iraq - to stop the genocide that will ensue - if we pull out early which by the way, looks more and more likely with each passing day :-(
    Heh, upon further thought, they (the left) always seems quick to sacrifice our boys to save other victimized countries... yet, never would they expect them to defend our way of life. It's just not worth fighting for; dying for.

Note the common word here - victim. They are want to wear it like a badge!
    -TMack

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    The troops did not decide to enter this war nor take part. :
    See my post #11.

Yep, they are victims. Duped. Like I said.......................................
    -TMack

The troops did not decide to enter this war nor take part...
    The troops don't make the decision to go to war, period.
    You guys just enlightened me about Randy Moss and his unwillingness to play hard footbal... its really not his fault because he didn't make the decision to play football... someone else made the schedule... he's a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409 View Post
    I heard Toby Keith say this awhile back......

To me, this has always been such a laughable mantra of the left.....but I've never really been able to get to the bottom of the hipocracy of it until I heard Bill Bennett speak to it recently......

What the left means to imply by the title quotation.... is that the soldiers are to be pitied.... as the dups and victims [of a mistaken, badly waged, rightwing war]. They don't support the troops in any honorable way [for the sacrifices they are making].
    Once again, proving the point that the left loaths the military for it's core purpose - breaking things and killing people. They see no valor in that. No honor in that.

What a bunch of ....Bill Bennett? Should I just start preaching Michael Moore -isms now?

Certainly the army is an all volunteeer army, and certainly there is indeed a real chance that if you sign up, you may be sent into battle. All we ask of our leaders is that we don't send them into harms way unless absolutely necessary. Afghanistan was necessary, Iraq was not IMHO.

What gets called into question is the actions of the leaders who are sending these troops into battle.

The troops are there....I don't like it....nothing I can do about it either. But I won't play pretend that I am for this war just because some idiot conservative with a radio show says that I don't support the troops unless I support the war. I've got friends and family over there fighting, some who have come back, and some who are still slated to go. And guess what, about 50% of them are in favor of what we are doing over there, and about 50% are not. So does that mean that the 50% who do not like what we are doing over there are unpatriotic? No they'll shut their mouths and do their job just like any good soldier will.....THAT is what constitutes valor and honor in my opinion...doing the job you have signed up for even though you may not agree with it.