Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: "I support the troops, but not the war"

I think that some liberals do hate the military, so it's not completely false. However, it's definitely a blanket statement over any lefty.

What astounds me is some people who think war is a tidy little affair that we have a script for. While I have not been enlisted, it seems to me that war is not something that will adhere to anyones wishes. We should have strategies, but it's impossible to have a scripted war outside of a movie. If we could've resolved this diplomatically, even better. Maybe we should've waited longer...I don't know. While WMD's were part of the reasons for war, had they been the only reason, I would've been against it. The WMD argument in itself was not compelling enough to go. However, as the list went on, it was clear that we could have an issue on our hands. If we knew what we know now, I think we would've stayed in Afghanistan longer and set our sights on Iran instead.

While I still think we should be in there (actually, Saddam should've been taken out in the first Gulf War), it's good to have an opposing point of view. Having that should help determine if this really is a good idea. Of course, politics is, unfortunately, part of the game.

It's not unpatriotic to disagree. I worked with one guy who was enlisted while Clinton was in office. He didn't like Clinton at all, but he would do his duty regardless of who was commander in chief. Guys like Sean Hannity that insist this is true are full of it and wrong. Same as the argument that 'Bush knew'.

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409 View Post
    See my post #11.

Yep, they are victims. Duped. Like I said.......................................
    You have got to be kidding me. I had friends sign up to fight for Afghanistan. Several were then deployed to Iraq. They didn't choose to go to Iraq.

My god....

Man, you really ••••••• pissed me off. What a bogus blanket statement. If I was a member of the right I would be ashamed of such portrayals. I know people ON THE FREAKING RIGHT who don't support the war but support the troops. I see bumper stickers all the time that say "Support the Troops." To me, it looks like you should have one that says "Support the War." F-That. I will support the troops till the day I die. You nor anyone will make me support the war nor will I ever let someone call me unpatriotic (lucky for you, you haven't).

I can't believe someone would post rubbish like this.
    Last edited by liquidsoul; 11-30-2006 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. I had friends sign up to fight for Afghanistan. Several were then deployed to Iraq. They didn't choose to go to Iraq.
    You have some real dumb-arsed friends, then. Anyone who signs onto a hitch in the military with the expectation to go to certain place "to fight", is a dumb-arse. Maybe they set-up a "sign-up to fight in Afghanistan" table just for idiots like your friends, but I seriously doubt it.

Your friends chose to go where their respected service sent them. Any other pre-conceived idea on their part was idiocy... or a fabricated tale on your part to make a vapid point.

[QUOTE=liquidsoul;3952975]You have got to be kidding me. I had friends sign up to fight for Afghanistan. Several were then deployed to Iraq. They didn't choose to go to Iraq.

My god....

Man, you really QUOTE]

victim. victims, victimization. Take your pick!
    Thanks for proving the hypothesis upon which I originated this thread.
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

[QUOTE=TMack409;3952995]

My god....

Man, you really QUOTE]

victim. victims, victimization. Take your pick!
    Thanks for proving the hypothesis upon which I originated this thread.
    I never said they were a victim. Just because you don't choose to do something that does not make a victim.

I am not sure how logic works that way. Please explain ???

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    You have some real dumb-arsed friends, then. Anyone who signs onto a hitch in the military with the expectation to go to certain place "to fight", is a dumb-arse. Maybe they set-up a "sign-up to fight in Afghanistan" table just for idiots like your friends, but I seriously doubt it.

Your friends chose to go where their respected service sent them. Any other pre-conceived idea on their part was idiocy... or a fabricated tale on your part to make a vapid point.
    Way to support the troops. People sign up for different reasons. I can't believe you of all people would say something like that. Maybe I should have my friend in Special Ops talk to you? He is in a LRS unit. I am sure he would be happy to discuss how much of a "dumb-arse" he is.

Uh, excuse me, have you forgotten that this is still an all volunteer army??

(Oh, I forgot, your ilk thinks they are too stupid to figure out there's an actually connection between signing up for the draft and actually having to go to fight a war.)

Uhh, they don't decide whether or not our country goes to war, they just follow orders, that they may even disagree with.

Heh, upon further thought, they (the left) always seems quick to sacrifice our boys to save other victimized countries... yet, never would they expect them to defend our way of life. It's just not worth fighting for; dying for.

Note the common word here - victim. They are want to wear it like a badge!
    Were defending our way of life by going into iraq? hahahahahhaha.......ahhahahahahah, is that reason number 234334B in list of rationales that have been used for iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar View Post
    You guys just enlightened me about Randy Moss and his unwillingness to play hard footbal... its really not his fault because he didn't make the decision to play football... someone else made the schedule... he's a victim.

Your friends chose to go where their respected service sent them. Any other pre-conceived idea on their part was idiocy... or a fabricated tale on your part to make a vapid point
    They sign up with the expectation that their government will send them into battle only if battle is absolutely necessary. Bush led them into a war that wasn't necessary, abusing their willingness to serve and put their lives on the line. With statements like yours, calling people who enlisted in the military dumb-arses because they expected to fight battles that were actually worthwhile is quite astonishing. THey are victims of this war, because while they enlisted, they should have the right to trust their government to only put them in harms way when it's absolutely necessary
    Last edited by Computerwiz; 11-30-2006 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz View Post
    They sign up with the expectation that their government will send them into battle only if battle is absolutely necessary. Bush led them into a war that wasn't necessary, abusing their willingness to serve and put their lives on the line. With statements like yours, calling people who enlisted in the military dumb-arses because they expected to fight battles that were actually worthwhile is quite astonishing. THey are victims of this war, because while they enlisted, they should have the right to trust their government to only put them in harms way when it's absolutely necessary
    You could always learn to read what's written and quit trying trying to read in between the lines, even though your heroes like Charles "wannadraftyoarse" Rangle expect you to.

I'll say it again... anyone who signs onto a hitch in the military with the expectation to go to a certain place "to fight", is a dumb-arse.

Now if you wanna explain what's wrong with that statement, have at it.

Well, then according to your use of 'victim' anytime someone has bad shit happen to them, they're a victim.

Are the troops sent to Bosnia that didn't agree with Clinton victims too, or does this only apply to Iraq?

Way to support the troops. People sign up for different reasons. I can't believe you of all people would say something like that. Maybe I should have my friend in Special Ops talk to you? He is in a LRS unit. I am sure he would be happy to discuss how much of a "dumb-arse" he is.
    Like wiz, I think you need a reading lesson too. If your Special Ops friend signed up with the intention of only fighting in Afghanistan and feels hoodwinked for getting sent to Iraq, then by all means, he's a dumb-arse. That's what I said and happily stick by it. If you wanna read other crap into that, like your buddy wiz, have at it.

What happened to the rest of your "several" friends who also got hoodwinked?

This is a very thought provoking thread and a good one as well. I think this thread is a perfect example of the politics of war.

I support the troops but I do not support what they are doing? That seems a bit peculiar I think it goes against human nature. To me it seems somewhat equivalent to saying I support Bush but I dont support any of his policies or anything he does.

How can you not support something and yet support the perpetrators?

I support the troops and hope they are able and allowed to accomplish their mission? I realize there will be more losses but I still support them and believe with a change in strategy they can still accomplish a suitable out come.

Or

I support the troops but bring them home before the mission is accomplished? Its for their own good they die as victims of an ill thought-out war.

Having been in a similar situation I was always of the opinion those who did not support the war were not supporting me. Wrong it may be but none the less thats what I thought.

Dont get all hot and bothered just pointing out one aspect and Im not at all questioning anybodies patriotism.

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    This is a very thought provoking thread and a good one as well. I think this thread is a perfect example of the politics of war.

I support the troops but I do not support what they are doing? That seems a bit peculiar I think it goes against human nature. To me it seems somewhat equivalent to saying I support Bush but I dont support any of his policies or anything he does.

How can you not support something and yet support the perpetrators?

I support the troops and hope they are able and allowed to accomplish their mission? I realize there will be more losses but I still support them and believe with a change in strategy they can still accomplish a suitable out come.

Or

I support the troops but bring them home before the mission is accomplished? Its for their own good they die as victims of an ill thought-out war.

Having been in a similar situation I was always of the opinion those who did not support the war were not supporting me. Wrong it may be but none the less thats what I thought.

Dont get all hot and bothered just pointing out one aspect and Im not at all questioning anybodies patriotism.
    "Hate the sin, love the sinner" comes to mind, tucker. Or perhaps you might think of cheering on your favorite football team even when they play poorly and have terrible coaching.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

Quote Originally Posted by tucker View Post
    To me it seems somewhat equivalent to saying I support Bush but I don’t support any of his policies or anything he does.
    No... more like "I support Bush but I don't support some of his policies."

Your original anology implies that no war would be supported which is false.
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

That's true. Afghanistan was okay'd by everyone, except the Taliban and anyone on the receiving end of that ass kicking. I don't think even having a war with Iraq itself was the issue. I think the timing and what were the sticking points (ie. WMD's) were the issues. I still think Saddam should've been taken out a long time ago, but given what bastards his sons were, some times I wonder if that would've been an issue. Of course, I also think that there's some political motivation, given that, like any political figure, some people just hate Bush.