Re: What do you think about this?

I think we need harsher penalties to make people think twice before committing a crime.
    Nuke em'.

Stop the "war on drugs" and focus on real crimes.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Maybe if there weren't so many stupid drug laws? No way. Prison is too good of a business for the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    I think we need harsher penalties to make people think twice before committing a crime.
    Do you really that would help? Making people think twice before committing a crime would help, but I doubt harsher penalties have much effect on it. Penalties in the US are very harsh compared to any other western countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan View Post
    Stop the "war on drugs" and focus on real crimes.
    I'd say that depends. Most of our increase in drug crimes are meth related. I'd just as soon meth heads were in prison.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Pehu View Post
    Do you really that would help? Making people think twice before committing a crime would help, but I doubt harsher penalties have much effect on it. Penalties in the US are very harsh compared to any other western countries.

Well, we could make the punishment harsher and use the death penalty for some of the more violent crimes that typically only get people locked up for decades. This would thin out the prison population and definitely curb the chances for them to be repeat offenders.

Drug addicts are not criminals they are sick and need help....if you are selling to school kids and stuff then thats different...imho

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24 View Post
    Drug addicts are not criminals they are sick and need help....if you are selling to school kids and stuff then thats different...imho
    Drug addicts may well be sick and need help, but its tough to excuse the crimes many of them commit in the process. I'm not talking about the crimes they commit that are related to obtaining and using drugs.

In our county, its meth. Robberies, bag whore wife beatings, child abuse, burglaries, arson, etc., are invariably by people who happen to have a bag of meth in their un-registered car or a glass pipe in their pocket.

So yeah, the dealing to kids is of course, another matter entirely. But there's other stuff between that and feelin' cozy about them because they're "sick and need help". Drug rehab around here is available through the county and state, but you can only lead the horses to water.

What does bug me is the energy we spend on grass. I know its important to prevent pizza thievin', but the criminal problems around meth, crack and smack, are real.