Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Youre PERSONAL recomendations for head phoens

Every year i spend over 20 bucks on a pair of pretty-bad sounding headphones that just end up breaking.

Another main reason for wanting a nice set of head phones is that people are sleeping in my house a lot of the time and I would like to be able to blast music with awesome quality with comfort.

I saw the sticky for this but I thought i would have a better idea of what i want if you give your personal recomendation.
    ------------------
    AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+ Winchester socket 939
    MSI K8N NEO PLAT 2 ULTRA NFORCE 3
    evga 6800 gt
    western digital raptor 74 gb 10,000 rpm
    2 GB RAM
    Audigy 2zs sound card
    nec dual layer dvd/cd rw 16X
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech MX 518 Mouse
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 speakers

Re: Youre PERSONAL recomendations for head phoens

I've always had a thing for Sennheisers. I have about 4 pairs. I wouldn't recommend a particular set 'cos that really comes down to personal preference. Go down to a couple of audio shops with a CD that you know and like. Ask them if you can test some headphones. Best way to pick a set that's right for you, IMO. Each set of Sennheisers I have were the final result of testing.

My Panasonic home theater headphones finally crapped out a few weeks ago after 2 year so I had to get something quick. I was looking at the Sennheiser HD485's for $65 after instant rebate on newegg but came across this....http://www.buy.com/prod/ICEMAT_Siber...203121718.html
    Great headphones so far, on par with my Panasonics but much more comfortable. I 'll see if the sound quality gets any better once I finish breaking them in. Plus the price with Google checkout is hard to beat. If it craps out, I'm only out $10

Oh BTW, I was looking at my account on newegg and saw that I got a present coming from the Mrs....HD485

These are some fun headphones, and you can get em on ebay for like $30...
    http://www.skullcandy.com/product_in...rs&category=21

eVGA X58 SLI LE || Intel Core i7 920 (160x20 @ 3.2GHz) || 6GB Corsair Dominator PC3 1600 Triple Channel || PCP&C 610W 49A PSU || Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 || Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum || 74GB WD Raptor SATA Primary || 1TB/750GB WD SATA Secondaries || 1x Dell 2408WFP, 2x Dell 2407WFP LCD's in Eyefinity || Logitech Z-5500 Digital Speakers || Lian-Li PC60FWB Aluminum Case || A ton of other junk

If you want a high quality headphone with extreme build quality that will last for years or decades(except the pads of course, which need to be changed every 3-4 years), consider the Sony MDR-V6(not MDR-V600). You can find these as cheap as $55-$60 factory refurbished, or $70-$80 new. Note: this headphone is a re-badged Sony MDR-7506, the ever so popular professional sound application tracking/monitoring headphone. However, the MDR-V6 is $20-$30 cheaper because it is distributed by Sony's consumer division, as opposed to the Sony Professional division.

-Chris

i have some Sennheiser HD515s i'm very happy with. got them for $60 on a going out of buisness sale at a compUSA. probably one of the best purchases i've ever had.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Can't go wrong with any of the recommendations thus far.

I will add the Grado SR-60 to the recommendations. A great set of headphones that is still the best buy for less than $70.

Sennheiser 280 Pro's, and 580 Precision are both great for computer use.

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    Can't go wrong with any of the recommendations thus far.

I will add the Grado SR-60 to the recommendations. A great set of headphones that is still the best buy for less than $70.

Sennheiser 280 Pro's, and 580 Precision are both great for computer use.
    While I can't argue the SR-60 being a good deal for sound, it should be noted for the original poster that it has very low build quality. The MDR-V6/MDR-7506 will remain the highest build quality available, even at several times the price.

-Chris

Quote Originally Posted by MadWolfZX View Post
    While I can't argue the SR-60 being a good deal for sound, it should be noted for the original poster that it has very low build quality. The MDR-V6/MDR-7506 will remain the highest build quality available, even at several times the price.

-Chris
    Very low build quality huh? Funny. Grado's are some of the most durable cans on the market. I have never had a pair break on me. I have owned 60's, 80's, and the RS1's.

The V6 is a great headphone and the quality is above most other Sony products. However, I think it is quite unfair to say the quality is better than say Grado, Sennheiser, or Beyer.

I don't know how many recording studios you have been in lately but most of mine have been all Bayer or Sennheiser with a few mom and pop studio's using V6's.

Have to agree with liquidsoul there. I've got a set of 325's and have been using them for close to 3 years now with quite a bit of abuse, they have been fine. The sound is still magical.

Sennheiser PC 150. Built in mic, that is solid, swivels and bends if ya need, uber comfy (I have worn for 8+ hrs a session doing WOW, NWN, UT2004). Sound great. ~35 - 40 $ to boot.

Chewie
    HAF 922 -MSI Z68A GD65 G3 - i2600K 100.00 X 38 = 3.8Ghz
    2 x 4Gb Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8-8-8-24-2T 1600 Mhz Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    2 x MSI 670 GTX PE - Card 1 1228 Core 3005 Mem, Card 2 1189 Core 3005 Mem
    Intel Controller -1 x Samsung 830 240Gb SSD (Boot/OS/Stuff) + 2 500Gb Caviar Black + Marvell - SATA DVD all single drive AHCI mode
    XFX Black Edition 850W Hottest Core IBT 66c, Prime 62c

Quote Originally Posted by liquidsoul View Post
    Very low build quality huh? Funny. Grado's are some of the most durable cans on the market. I have never had a pair break on me. I have owned 60's, 80's, and the RS1's.
    Reports of breakage are common with the SR-60 in comparison to other headphones from what I have observed, with the wire being typical and the post joints that adjust the head size, also being typical complaints. In my review of the product, I see average looking build quality.

A typical personal account of a unit not breaking is hardly evidence of high build quality, however. I have a Sony MDR-CD3000 that I have used as a portable often and occasionally abused, and it still works fine. However, it has no special build qualities that would make it especially durable. MDR-7506 is far superior in build quality.

The V6 is a great headphone and the quality is above most other Sony products. However, I think it is quite unfair to say the quality is better than say Grado, Sennheiser, or Beyer.
    I can't figure out how one can determine the popular Sennehieser or Grado units to be on par with the MDR-7506. Inspecting them personally, the differences are apparent. The Sony unit has stainless steel double joints of high gauge, stainless headband, double stitched top head pad unit, heavy cord with very well anchored wire to housing to prevent damage when pulled at often, metal alloy enclosures, and heavy duty metal plugs. No Sennhesser has such build, and certainly not the lower end and mid-end Grados. Sennheiser is usually all plastic, excepting being the not in production and astronomically priced HE90, which has some hardwood components. The more durable Sennehiers, such as the HD-280 and HD-25, do not equal the same apparent characteristics in build quality as compared to the Sony at subject here. However, the HD-280 and HD-25 may be as durable overall, because they are made of very thick plastic in all places. The Grado units such as SR-60, SR-80 and SR-125 are all plastic with metal slide poles, and they are usually put together with mostly glue. The mid-end units such as the SR-325 step up to using some machined metal alloy outer enclosures, but are still mostly glued together. The PS-1 is probably the biggest step up in recent Grados, and is pretty well made. The best Grados of course in terms of build quality are the long since discontinued HP-1000 series, which are almost entirely made of heavy gauge machined metal components. This is one of the few headphones that obviously surpasses the build quality, overall, of the MDR-7506.

I don't know how many recording studios you have been in lately but most of mine have been all Bayer or Sennheiser with a few mom and pop studio's using V6's.
    From what I can observe, the MDR-7506 is very widely used along with a few AKG, Beyer and other select models. MDR-7506 is the same product as the MDR-V6. If so interested, you need only notice interviews in studios or film sets to see MDR-7506 on many such cases. AKG(usually K240, it appears) headphones appear to be as frequently used or even more often, in such cases. Sennheiser HD-25 appears to be common on sports casts.

-Chris
    Last edited by MadWolfZX; 12-05-2006 at 10:51 PM.

After snapping the head band and ripping the cord on my old Sennheiser 455's I realised that their build quality isn't the greatest. Personally I don't care much about build quality anymore. If I'm spending a fair amount of money on them, they get treated with kid gloves. Sound quality is what I'm after. At least Sennheiser back up their poor build quality with parts replacements available for 15 years.

Perhaps to some people the MDR-7506's don't sound as nice as the Sennheisers. But then sound perception is a subjective thing. I haven't tried them so I can't offer my own opinion.

Just for the record, I have very rarely seen Sony, let alone AKG headphones in a professional recording environment or on a televised interview. I'm also hearing impaired and almost all of the audiology labs I've been in use Sennheiser 'phones. From what I've seen, industry preference is Sennheiser.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 12-05-2006 at 11:17 PM.

Where would i purchase these head phones since they're not on newegg or any local stores really.

I'm looking for some head phones that will be impressive and wont break after a year or break and have a long ass waranty ready.

I prefer not to spend any more than 100 $.
    ------------------
    AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+ Winchester socket 939
    MSI K8N NEO PLAT 2 ULTRA NFORCE 3
    evga 6800 gt
    western digital raptor 74 gb 10,000 rpm
    2 GB RAM
    Audigy 2zs sound card
    nec dual layer dvd/cd rw 16X
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech MX 518 Mouse
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 speakers

You could google them and order online or perhaps go into some audio shops and ask if they are able to get them in for you.