Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Youre PERSONAL recomendations for head phoens

www.headphone.com has a pretty good selection. Decent shipping and return options.

I'm considering either

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...890912-2540869

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD5...890912-2540869

http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

I'm not sure what the difference is except the price, what do you guys think? Also whats all this noise about an AMP and do i need one?
    ------------------
    AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+ Winchester socket 939
    MSI K8N NEO PLAT 2 ULTRA NFORCE 3
    evga 6800 gt
    western digital raptor 74 gb 10,000 rpm
    2 GB RAM
    Audigy 2zs sound card
    nec dual layer dvd/cd rw 16X
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech MX 518 Mouse
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 speakers

The Sennheiser 580's are a fantastic headphone. You do not necessarily need an amp but it would definitely improve the sound. It is also something you can purchase later.

the two sennheisers you chose are open so sound will not isolate you from ambient noise
    the audio technica is closed so it will isolate some.

i believe the sennheisers need an amp more than the a900's (never had any so i am going on what others have told me)

insert generic humorus and/or witty statement here

Quote Originally Posted by MadWolfZX View Post
    While I can't argue the SR-60 being a good deal for sound, it should be noted for the original poster that it has very low build quality. The MDR-V6/MDR-7506 will remain the highest build quality available, even at several times the price.

-Chris
    i wouldnt say that, the pair i had seemed like they were just fine on the build and quality as well as sounding great.

if anything should be noted, id say if you were glasses, buy with caution, they hurt my ears if i was wearing my glasses in about 45min of use.

now im using sennheiser hd485's.
    TForce550se|brisbane3600@2.4ghz|2x1gb|7900gs@550/800

My brother has a pair of HD595's and I use HD465's. Personally I prefer open phones, which is why I went with the 465's. That aside, we both came to the conclusion that his HD595's didn't sound quite as good as my HD465's (though they did still sound nice). Secondly, they're fairly shallow, so if you're a bit of a wing-nut like me, the 'phones will rub on the outer part of your ear. Not pleasant. On top of that, they cost almost double what I paid for my HD465's.

It really is down to personal preference. I think you'd be crazy to buy without testing them first.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

It really is down to personal preference. I think you'd be crazy to buy without testing them first.

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by MadWolfZX View Post
    If you want a high quality headphone with extreme build quality that will last for years or decades(except the pads of course, which need to be changed every 3-4 years), consider the Sony MDR-V6(not MDR-V600). You can find these as cheap as $55-$60 factory refurbished, or $70-$80 new. Note: this headphone is a re-badged Sony MDR-7506, the ever so popular professional sound application tracking/monitoring headphone. However, the MDR-V6 is $20-$30 cheaper because it is distributed by Sony's consumer division, as opposed to the Sony Professional division.

-Chris
    This is the same advice I came in here to give My only tidbit of advise regarding the V6/7506 is that the stock pads are a bit uncomfortable for some people when worn for extended periods (4+ hr at a time). Since it varies from person to person I'd pick up a pair and see how they fit. If they start to hurt your ears after several hours, spend the $~25 shipped for a pair of these aftermarket velour pads:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

They made a big difference for me, but my roommate has never been bothered by the stock pads. It's also worth noting that if you're only using your headphones for an hour or two at a time this is kind of moot.
    SN25P rev.2
    A64 X2 3800+ @ 2.6ghz (260x10x4 @ 1.4v)
    2GB GigaRAM PC3500 @ 217Mhz (3-4-4-8-1T @ 2.6v)
    eVGA 7900GTO @ 690/1600
    250GB Maxtor 7.2K 16MB SATA
    400GB Seagate 7.2K 16MB PATA
    NEC 3540A
    2x Dell 2001FPs

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro. They sound great, but Sennheiser build quality is terrible. Earpads are falling off, plastic has cracked towards the top, and the idiotic-idea telephone cord cable is tangled beyond all hope. I think they are going on two years old now, and they have spent virtually all of their life at my desk, not abused. So much for wonderful German engineering.

I don't buy any Sony products (too many negative experiences) but I have heard a lot of good about the MDR-V6's. My friend just picked up a pair of Grado SR-60, widely regarded as a great no-nonsense headphone under $100 (but very ugly), but they are open-ear so that won't work if you have sleeping people in the same room as you. The AKG and Beyerdynamic brands are also highly praised.

I would recommend checking out www.headphone.com and reading their reviews, and head-fi.org has a ton of headphone buffs.
    Last edited by JungleMan; 12-15-2006 at 06:47 PM.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

Sorry to hear that JM. You should try and contact Sennheiser. I have heard of them doing warranty work outside of their normal warranty. Especially if problems occur under normal use.

Actually I just checked my records and they are almost three years old. Whew, time flies! I doubt Sennheiser would service a product a year out of its warranty (and one that I never registered). Hehe. Yeah, not a big deal, I'm looking to get something more capable at some point in the near future anyway. I'll keep an eye on these threads

/me hides back in the shadows, so as not to hijack this thread
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

= \ now im not sure what to get since i dont think there is an audio place around that has these head phones to try.
    ------------------
    AMD Athlon 64 bit 3200+ Winchester socket 939
    MSI K8N NEO PLAT 2 ULTRA NFORCE 3
    evga 6800 gt
    western digital raptor 74 gb 10,000 rpm
    2 GB RAM
    Audigy 2zs sound card
    nec dual layer dvd/cd rw 16X
    Logitech G15 Keyboard
    Logitech MX 518 Mouse
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 speakers

Quote Originally Posted by computermaniac View Post
    = \ now im not sure what to get since i dont think there is an audio place around that has these head phones to try.
    HiFi shops, music shops, some appliance shops. Ring around to find out who sells them or look at the manufacturer's website to see who their agents are and call them.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMan View Post
    Actually I just checked my records and they are almost three years old. Whew, time flies! I doubt Sennheiser would service a product a year out of its warranty (and one that I never registered). Hehe. Yeah, not a big deal, I'm looking to get something more capable at some point in the near future anyway. I'll keep an eye on these threads

/me hides back in the shadows, so as not to hijack this thread
    Sennheiser keep replacement parts for their 'phones for up to 15 years. That's pretty impressive. I've still got an eleven year old pair of HD455 'phones. They need new pads and the adjusting strap. I can revive them for less than half the cost of a new pair. One day I'll get around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by computermaniac View Post
    Agreed, it can be difficult. Narrow it down to two choices and then order both, return the one you don't like. You'll be out shipping on one headphone, but worth it. Or, if you're a little more confident, just order one of the two you've narrowed it down to, and if you're not satisfied, order the other one.

Mjolnir, I hate to keep hijacking this thread about myself...but I need new plastic casing for mine, which might be a bit difficult to replace myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMan View Post
    Agreed, it can be difficult. Narrow it down to two choices and then order both, return the one you don't like. You'll be out shipping on one headphone, but worth it. Or, if you're a little more confident, just order one of the two you've narrowed it down to, and if you're not satisfied, order the other one.

Mjolnir, I hate to keep hijacking this thread about myself...but I need new plastic casing for mine, which might be a bit difficult to replace myself.
    You might like to contact the local agent and ask them if they can fix it for you. At the rates they charge, you might also be better off getting a new set. Worth enquiring