What are the benefits of having 2 NICs Bridged

Hello all

I got a really big problem i'll try and explain it from the start.

I have 1 file server that is sharing a folder to 34 desktop pc's connected to a 100Mb LAN using a 3com unmanaged switch. In this folder there are MPEG2 video files which the clients watch on their desktop pc's by streaming it from the file server. Each file is about 200MB-400MB, alltogether i have 111GB in total that i have to share over the LAN. Now my problem is when there are 20 clients connected and are streaming a file each from the server it doesnt allow any more clients to connect, it says that the server is too busy. I wanted to know if i got a second netword card and bridged it with the current one in the server would that improve the performance?

My Home System Specs:

Processor:
    Intel Xeon Quad-Core E53201
    CPU Cooling:
    1x 80mm akasa ultra quiet, 1x 120mm akasa,
    Motherboard:
    Intel Workstation Board S5000XVNSAS
    Memory:
    Crucial CT12872AF667 1G DDR2 667 x2
    Hard Drive:
    80GB Sata II 7200rpm 8MB cache, 320GB Sata II 16MB
    Video Card:
    Nvidia Quadro FX1400 128MB PCI Express x16
    Sound Card:
    Internal 2 channel high definition audio
    Miscellaneous:
    ADS Pyro 1394 Firewire,
    Case/PSU:
    Coolermaster Centurion 5 White
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
    Last edited by icewire; 12-04-2006 at 02:39 AM.

Re: What are the benefits of having 2 NICs Bridged

There are a number of issues here.

1. I think you mean bonded nics, not bridged. Bonding 2 nics together can theoretically double the performance (for example, 2 x 100mbit). But ideally you should have gigabit lan in the server and a gigabit switch although you'll still likely be bandwidth limited.

2. The limitation, besides being a bandwidth one, is also in the operating system you are using. Win XP Pro isn't a server OS and has a hard limitation as to the number of client that can simultaneously connect. I believe it's 10 clients for XP Pro and 5 clients for XP Home. If you want more clients, you'll need Windows 2003 Server (or a Linux Samba file server which will do it for free!).

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Sounds more like a limitation of the Streaming software.

What OS is the server running, what application is used for streaming and what stream rate are you using?

i am using Windows XP Professional SP2 on the file server. There are no streaming software i am just sharing a folder with MPEG2 files in it. The clients are opening the files by going into that shared folder. The MPEG2 files are going at 5Mbps.

Would be a good idea to move to a server platform or use a dedicated NAS solution.

Somewhere hot and dusty, with lots of sin.

There is a hack 'out there' (I use it) that will remove the artificial tcp limit in XP (makes it like 2003 server).

see:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2005/1...event-id-4226/

http://www.lvllord.de/

P.D.
    Last edited by PaulDriver; 12-05-2006 at 07:44 PM.
    Never trust a programmer with a screwdriver, if he starts talking about sonic ones, RUN!!
    Run faster and further then you've ever run before!!

It's too much work to update my specs in a sig, it's a 6 core budget build. If you must know, it's in my profile.

Thanks for that PaulDriver however, i found another way of increasing the users that can connect to a shared folder, its by using the net share command.

net share share name /unlimited

Somewhere hot and dusty, with lots of sin.

You're still limited to 10 TCP connections at a time under XP.
    Never trust a programmer with a screwdriver, if he starts talking about sonic ones, RUN!!
    Run faster and further then you've ever run before!!

It's too much work to update my specs in a sig, it's a 6 core budget build. If you must know, it's in my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDriver View Post
    You're still limited to 10 TCP connections at a time under XP.
    That's right - the limit is hard coded into the tcp/ip stack - it doesn't matter what protocol you use to try to connect. It's simple - if you're running a server (ie, more than 10 concurrent connections), Microsoft want you to pay for Windows 2003 Server.

Personally, I'd go with Linux/Samba - it's free and there aren't any silly limitations

Thanks for that PaulDriver, I download that patch and ran it and now i can connect up to 100 computers, you've been really helpful.

Ned Slider:

Does Linux/Samba run on GUI or is it all command based? Also would i be able to use remote desktop and VPN on Samba. If its free then i can use it on my other file servers.

Quote Originally Posted by icewire View Post
    Does Linux/Samba run on GUI or is it all command based? Also would i be able to use remote desktop and VPN on Samba. If its free then i can use it on my other file servers.
    Yes, Linux has a GUI. There are various methods for achieving remote desktop functionality (VNC over SSH, for example) and virtual private networks can be implemented using either SSH or IPsec. It's not quite mickey mouse point and click to set it up like setting up a VPN is on Windows, but ultimately you have more flexibility and control, and not to mention it's free!

If you have a number of servers, then the cost savings of migrating to Linux soon start to add up. I don't know what the current pricing of Windows 2003 Server (and client access licenses) is, but it's not insignificant when you have multiple servers.