Thread: nvidia w/hdmi

nvidia w/hdmi

Hello all... I am in search of a nvidia video card with HDMI. I have been waiting for something a little more powerful than the 7600 series, but it seems to be coming very slowly.

Has anyone run across any info that indicated that we might see a sub $300 nvidia card with HDMI? Maybe I am living in some fantasy world, but this sure seems crazy...

Re: nvidia w/hdmi

DVI and HDMI are the same electronically - all you need to hook up a DVI vga card to a HDMI monitor is the cable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ll&srchInDesc=

or an adapter plug

Quote Originally Posted by StompinRound View Post
    DVI and HDMI are the same electronically - all you need to hook up a DVI vga card to a HDMI monitor is the cable.

or an adapter plug

Not to be rude, but I am aware of that.

I am looking for a HDMI card, or any information about upcoming releases.

Thanks

These 2 currently for sale have HDMI

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rchInDesc=hdmi

The 7950 GT is a great card in the ~$300 range and it is HDMI compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by PCRogue View Post
    The 7950 GT is a great card in the ~$300 range and it is HDMI compliant.
    Technically DVI is HDMI compliant at least with respect to the video, lol....but I get your point......

What I don't get is why it would be need on a video card? Video cards aren't sending audio, and since a DVI is exactly the same as the video portion of HDMI, I'm not sure what the point is for a video card to have that? I get why having it on something like a HDTV-Tuner in your computer would be valuable - then you could send that output to the TV, both audio and video.

There is no signal degradation when going from DVI to HDMI...they are the same with regards to video....in fact the DVI-TO-HDMI cable is simply missing the audio pins.....there's no "converting" going on.

Don't mean to hijack this thread, and I"m not trying to be a butt about this...I'm just trying to learn something that doesn't make sense to me on the surface....so what am I missing?
    Last edited by TheDrake; 12-13-2006 at 12:57 PM.

It's the MPAA's (Motion Picture Association of America) fault. They require that every component comply with the HD standards(HDMI/HDCP) in order to view Hi-Def copy protected content. If any component doesn't comply the the picture is downconverted.

It's the MPAA's (Motion Picture Association of America) fault. They require that every component comply with the HD standards(HDMI/HDCP) in order to view Hi-Def copy protected content. If any component doesn't comply the the picture is downconverted.

not fully true. The picture CAN be downconverted if the movie has the Image Constraint Token. None so far do. So, for the near term, VGA will work.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Quote Originally Posted by steven975 View Post
    not fully true. The picture CAN be downconverted if the movie has the Image Constraint Token. None so far do. So, for the near term, VGA will work.

Ah, I see. Thank you, I didn't realize that. I stand corrected.

Ah, I see. Thank you, I didn't realize that. I stand corrected.
    I think the current beta version of the Cyberlink chokes if you don't have HDCP, but it is not a requirement and should be fixed later.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

All this "crap" from the MPAA is exactly why I won't be going HD for my movie watching. I'm extremely pleased with 720p and regular DVD's - they look outstanding. I've seen the HD on a 1080p, and yes it looks fantastic, but honestly, sitting 15 feet away looking at my Sony 34XBR970 HD tube, I don't think I could tell the difference anyway, even if it was able to show it in 1080p, which it can't.

...And all things "HD" are way too darn expensive anyway....THEN, after I pay that 30-50 bucks for an HD movie, a freaking legit copy, they have the balls to dictate to me how I watch it and what equipment I watch it on....that's crap, so I'm sticking to regular DVD's for now and into the future as far as I can see.

All these idiot children stealing music and movies have brought us to this point.....hope all the dopes that did that are happy now.....cause everyone that actually uses money to buy things and not steal are getting screwed.

and oops, did I go off topic...sorry

I know this thread is dated, but wanted to add that I just did this. I have 2 7950 in sli running thru a dvi to hdmi cable(picked on up at Radioshack) to my AV and then to my front projector. It works like a dream. At first I was not able to see any downloaded videos (though youtube or flash vid worked fine). Sound would work, but I got a black screen. I thought it may have been a copy right issue.

I read into it a bit and it was nothing more than getting better drivers for a vid card. I was using the 91.47 drivers listed on Asus website.

http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us

But was recommended to throw the nvidia sli drivers.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

which I probably should have done a while ago anyway.

Long story short. All is good and HDMI looks great. Sound is coming out of my crosshair mobo thru the optical out and sounds great too btw. Good Luck. Hope it helps.
    Asus Crosshair --- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Windsor 2.0GHz --- CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)--- PC Power & Cooling TURBO-COOL 850W SSI --- 2 Asus 7950Gtx in Quad SLI --- 2 Cheetah 74GB 15,000 RPM SCSI Ultra320 in Raid 0 --- w/ LSI LOGIC 3202064B PCI SCSI Dual-Channel Ultra320 RAID Adapter --- PLEXTOR Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache SATA DVD Burner --- 50" Panasonic LCD Projection TV --- LIAN LI V SILENT PC-V1100A PLUS Silver --- rounded cable & sleeving --- Optimum Online (30000 down/2000 up) --- XP Pro Sp2! MCE --- Cooled by Nventiv Prometia Mach II &/or Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

I was looking at the HDMI/DVI adapters and it seems they only support up tp 1600x1200 resolution.

My BenQ 24inch has the HDMI connector and a resolution of 1920x1200.

Going HDMI with an adaptor on my card would degrade my high resolution. DVI gets the job done quite well.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

You should keep looking as the one I found does support 1920*1080 rez and shows 1080p content quite lovely. Check Radio Shack. Thats where I picked up mine for about 70 bucks. Good Luck.
    Asus Crosshair --- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Windsor 2.0GHz --- CORSAIR XMS2 2GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)--- PC Power & Cooling TURBO-COOL 850W SSI --- 2 Asus 7950Gtx in Quad SLI --- 2 Cheetah 74GB 15,000 RPM SCSI Ultra320 in Raid 0 --- w/ LSI LOGIC 3202064B PCI SCSI Dual-Channel Ultra320 RAID Adapter --- PLEXTOR Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache SATA DVD Burner --- 50" Panasonic LCD Projection TV --- LIAN LI V SILENT PC-V1100A PLUS Silver --- rounded cable & sleeving --- Optimum Online (30000 down/2000 up) --- XP Pro Sp2! MCE --- Cooled by Nventiv Prometia Mach II &/or Thermaltake Big Typhoon.