Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is my Chaintech S1689 DOA?

Hi

My Chaintech S1689 will not power up. No CPU fan. No AGP fan. When I connect the AC cord to the power supply the LAN LED's light up and the activity light flashes. (So it seems the board is getting some power). I have the 20 pin and 4 pin power connected. As far as I can tell the front power switch is on the correct jumper. I have reset the bios. The power supply is a brand new. I have verified that the powersupply and power switch work with my old mobo. System configuration:

New OCZ gamexstream 700W
    New ChainTech S1689
    New Athlon 64 3700+
    Existing ATI radeon 9800 pro

Suggestions?

Re: Is my Chaintech S1689 DOA?

I forgot to mention that this is the pinout of the connector on the mobo:

G--BTN o o G-BTN
    HDLED+ o o HDLED-
    P-LED- o o SPKR
    P-LED+ o o SPKR
    PWR-SW o o SPKR
    PWR-SW o o RESET-SW
    NO_PIN x o RESET-SW
    G-LED- o o G-LED+

if you have a digital multimeter, check the 12v line(min 11.5v). yellow and black on a 4 wire molex.

or disconnect everything but the cpu hsink and fan. remove vid card, mem, drives and case fans.

if the cpu fan doesn't spin up, then i would try reseating the cpu. be careful when removing the heatsink. rotate the hs right/left a few times before pulling upward. more than likely the cpu will come with it. reapply the thermal paste and when reseating the cpu give a little pressure on a couple of corners when throwing the lever.

ud

I reseated the CPU. No change.

I have a DMM. When you mentioned measuring the 12 supply voltage I assume that this is when the supply is up and running? According to the manual only +5v trickle is active when the supply is in sleep mode. The activity on the LAN LED's indicates the the trickle supply is available. The supply is never coming out of sleep mode. THe power supply fan never spins up.

I can think of one of two things at this point:
    a) the manual mentions a Poly-fuse over current protection. Maybe this is stuck open.
    b) Maybe the manual gave me the wrong pins for the power switch and the mobo is not getting the power-on signal.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...ight=s1689+pin
    See post 8, I believe the manual drawing is upside down in the photo. Use the missing pin to correctly orient yourself.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thank you for that suggestion. I read that post. The front panel connector on that picture has 20 pins with no missing pin. I seem to have a different rev on the mother board. Mine has 18 pins with 1 pin missing (total of 17). I also see now that the pin diagram I posted earlier was missing two pins.

For insanity's sake I took the power switch and tested every adjacent 2 pin combination on the front panel connector. No luck.

_G-BTN o o G-BTN
    HDLED+ o o HDLED-
    P-LED- o o SPKR
    _P-LED o o SPKR
    P-LED+ o o SPKR
    PWR-SW o o SPKR
    PWR-SW o o RESET-SW
    NO_PIN x o RESET-SW
    G-LED- o o G-LED+

did you try this type of pattern?

ud

I have only the power switch connected to the front panel connector. For grins, I have tried the every vertical and horizontal 2 pin combination for the connector (I.E. 1+2, 2+3,.... 1+18, 2+17....) No luck. I have called the retailer who sold me the motherboard (3btech.net). They are in the process of giving me an RMA number. Bummer.

Is this just a bad board or should I steer away from the Chaintech S1689?

My requirements are:
    AGP video (want to re-use by ATI 9800 pro)
    AMD socket 939 (Bought processor from different retailer)

Nice to haves:
    4 DIMM slots
    Overclocking.

Thanks a bunch for your efforts.

how about placing the cmos jumper in the other position.

ud

Let us know what you find out.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

I have tried the CMOS jumper in both positions. BTW, when I first powered up the mobo the CMOS was in the reset position. It is becoming a bummer of a Christmas gift to my self. :-(

Sounds like RMA time, then!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

i would look at the boards with XGP and AGPro slots if you have to send it back, they give you agp support but also have pci-e!!!
    or if u can find the asrock sata2 its got native agp AND pci-e support on 1 board!!!!(better perf for agp cards)

I stumbled across that mobo on newegg yesterday. The current rev is the 939dual-vsta.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157097

Once again thansk for everyones help

good choice at least when u deside to go am2 you can just get the future port board insted of a whole new motherboard!!!