Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Crosshair theads are starting to scare me

This is the first time I have posted on this forum, so a big hello to everyone here .

I found the fourm while I was researching the components for my new system, and have found lots of good info here. It has helped me to decide on my new build which is going to be:

Asus Crosshair motherboard
    Coolmaster eXtreme Power 650W
    AMD Athon64 X2 5000/5200
    Corsair DDR2 XMS2-6400C4 TwinX(2x1Gb)
    OcUK GeForce 7900 GS 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

Now with reading all the posts I can find on this forum, I have started to worry about my ability to put this rig together. There seem to be so many people that are having trouble getting it to boot first time.

Now, while it is one of the most exciting things about building a computer and turning it on for the first time to here a happy single beep. It can also be quite scary and depressing if after the 20th time of pulling everything apart and putting it back together it still wont boot.

Any advice specific to building on this motherboard would be much apreciated. I will have all of the above stuff in the New Year (the processor is arriving today sometime ) and would like as much info as possible before I start building.

Will the graphics card be enough to run Unreal Tournament 2004 at full spec?
    Should I use my dated soundcard (Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 24bit Sound Card) in the new set up or use the daughterboard that comes with the mobo?
    Does anyone know if the GeIL ram works with this mobo? I have read that it can be fussy with the type of ram until you update the bios.
    Can you update the bios before you have windows or anything working? I am sure I read something about flash drives somewhere
    Is it hard to start Windows on SATA HDs, I used to use a floppy disk that came with my last mobo during the installation, is there one with this mobo?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Re: Crosshair theads are starting to scare me

that acrd should be fine, i would also consider an x1900gt or x1950pro as they will give better perf and fetures(such as hdr+aa in newer games like farcry, ut2k7 and such)

unless your going raid you dont need any floppys at all.

as to sound
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=22139
    use those driver sets ket is working on, hes got the same board you have!!!!
    also asking ket about the board would be good!!!

my advice with asus boards is put in 1 ram stick in the first slot, it should post fine if you do that, then set the proper voltege and save, then restart you can then stick the other stick in and it should boot fine.

my m2n-sli deluxe forced me to do that with the ram dispite it being low volt ram!!!

update to latest bios as soon as you can, asus support SUCKS, takes them forever to fix anything and forever to get driver updates on the site!!!

I just had to RMA my Crosshair (for reasons I shan't discuss, let's just say Asus wasn't to blame), and the only problem I had with the replacement was an outdated BIOS. The board will not support the 5000/5200 unless it has Bios 0203 or later. Luckily I had a 4200 in another machine to get it up and running until I updated the BIOS( I didn't have the newer BIOS ready when I installed the new board, D'oh). I don't know what BIOS the new retail boards ship with. If I were you I would download the latest BIOS and save to a floppy or thumb drive and have it ready (it doesn't have to be a bootable disk, just freshly formatted). You can then press <alt>+<F2> during POST to enter the EZ Flash utility. Then just hit enter and you should have a BIOS flash screen. Note, be sure you have the exact file name written down to execute the BIOS flash. More detailed instructions are in the manual.

Most of the problems with the initial boot on this board are memory related as PF Prophet said. I had no problem with PQI memory, but with Corsair, I had to use only one stick to boot the new board. The problem is that the default voltage is only 1.8V while most high performance memories require 2.0-2.1V. Once you get into the BIOS, set the voltage and your good to go. Don't let all the stories scare you. If you know what you're doing you should not have a problem. It is a great board once it is up and running.

My Crosshair will be running a couple of 8800GTXs on the 26th (if only EVGA had shipped them one day earlier, I would have them right now)

I know that last remark wasn't necessary, I was just braggin' a little.
    Last edited by dpellio; 12-23-2006 at 02:10 AM.

Thanks, some good advice there.

PF Prophet, I am only putting in the 7900gs just so I can get this mobo running. I only play UT2004, dont have time to get good at any other games at the moment . I do plan on upgrading the card when UT2007 finally comes out and it didnt seem like a good idea to go for a SLI set up with any of the 7 series cards, so I just got a cheap card for now.

Thanks for the link, I am going to use the mobos sound so it could be very useful.

dpellio, I didnt know about bios' below 0203 not supporting the 5200 processor, that bit of info could have saved me a lot of headaches. That flash memory thing sounds great and easy, a useful tip.

I do plan on running 1 or possible 2 8800's in the future, is my psu going to be enough?
    The system will include:
    AMD Athon64 X2 5200
    GeIL 2x1Gb PC6400 DDR2 (4-4-4-12)
    7 case fans
    a DVD RW drive
    Floppy drive.
    2 sata drives
    some case lights

Lets say it is just 1 8800GTX for now (unless I win the lottery )

That's a tough one. I would say that you might be pushing it a little with that PSU, just because of all the extras you are planning to run. That's a lot of fans and lights. I am going to say it definitely might work, but it probably won't not NOT work. Is that clear enough?<lol>

I guess I am saying that PSU is pretty borderline IMHO (for one 880GTX, definitely not enough for two). I personally would chance it (I'm a cheap Bastidge), and if it wasn't enough I would consider something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153037
    Newegg.com - Thermaltake W0099RU 250 Watts (Peak Load: 300Watts) Graphic Card power supply - Retail

I am going to use a second PSU to power my 8800s (I have a good Cooler Master laying around collecting dust) rather than drop the bucks for a new PSU. I am broke after buying the 8800s.

Also a couple of more Crosshair tips:
    1. Don't install the Nvidia Network Access Manager (unless you like a lot of internet related crashes and freezes) when installing the chipset drivers. When prompted to install it, just say no!
    2. Don't bother with the AI Booster (windows based overclocking), it just causes instability.
    3. You will get some alarms using the PC Probe monitoring software. CPU->NB HT voltage WILL be in the red, along with your DDR2 voltage and DDR2 termination voltage. There is no danger, just adjust the alarm thresholds up a little and your OK. The first time I used this software I darn near soiled my britches cause it has a super loud annoying alarm!

BTW: Welcome to the forums, and Happy Holidays to you and everyone else out there!
    Last edited by dpellio; 12-23-2006 at 05:24 PM.

I smoked a 650 running 2 7950 GX2 boards. Was never sure if there was a prior problem with the PSU itself or if was to much of a load on it.

I RMAed the PSU. When they sent me a new one I installed it to power the motherboard and the GPUs. I then installed a 500w Enermax to run everything else and have not had any other problem.

I am not sure how much more power the 8800 series uses and am not even sure why my PSU quit.

I use the Silverstone 650 modulars in all of my computers and have not had any other problems with them.
    Asus M8Z77-V Deluxe
    Intel 3770K
    G-Skill 1600 16G
    Corsair H100
    EVGA 670 GTX
    2 Corsair Force 3 120G (Raid 0)
    2 x Seagate 1T 6G
    2 Samsung SyncMaster T260HD Monitors
    Thermaltake Level 10 UGK
    Silverstone Olympia OP1000 1000W
    Windows 8

Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by dpellio View Post
    I guess I am saying that PSU is pretty borderline IMHO (for one 880GTX, definitely not enough for two). I personally would chance it (I'm a cheap Bastidge), and if it wasn't enough I would consider something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153037
    Newegg.com - Thermaltake W0099RU 250 Watts (Peak Load: 300Watts) Graphic Card power supply - Retail
    That Mini PSU looks like a great solution and I may well consider it when I come to upgrade the graphics card. I will have a 420W PSU lying around when I rebuild (it is powering my old system) so I will be able to connect up 2 PSUs without spending any money first. To be honest, I have never considered connecting 2 PSUs before so that info could be very useful in the future. It does sound a bit messy though fitting 2 PSUs, I will be using my old case, Xaser III, and I cannot imagine how I would go about using 2 PSUs neatly.

Also thanks for the info on the software and drivers, I always try to install the least amount of stuff possible just getting everything I want working and turning everything else off (unused ports, LAN and so on). It usually takes me at least 2 installs of windows to get it right, I like to format and reinstall when I know exactly what I want.

I will have all the kit and be ready to start the rebuild on the first weekend in January, I will post here what happens, whether successful or not. Till then any more info on putting it together that I wont find in the instructions will be very helpful.

Also does anyone use the onboard case fan controllers, are they any good? Should I try using them instead of my fan controller on the front of my case? I think I have 4 connectors 3 controlling 2 fans (front, back and side) and 1 powering the case fan on the top.

Lastly, is it worth considering changing my operating system from XP to XP64? From reading reviews I cannot find any reason.
    Last edited by stu009; 12-24-2006 at 09:49 AM.

Here's a link to a good article about running two PSUs: http://www.speedy3d.com/articles/cas...p3/index.shtml
    Speedy 3D

I have been using the onboard fan controllers since day one and they work great. Plus ASUS included 3 onboard thermal probes which you can use to monitor gpu temps, hard drive temps, memory temps, etc. You can also use the probes in conjunction with the controller so they control fan speed. Plus there are seven fan headers on the board, plus the CPU fan header.

As far as XP64, why bother with Vista so close. There are a lot of driver issues and compatability issues with it anyway.

Getting close to actually building this system now, I will probably be putting it together in the first weekend of the New Year.

I have a different PSU ordered, but it hasnt been shipped yet, I can find very few reviews for it and wondered if anyone has an opinion on it here. It is a Hiper 730m

Also i have checked the bios chip on the mobo and it looks like it is shipped with the 0121 bios. Now it looks like the X2 5200 processor needs the 0306 bios. I was just wondering if the mobo will still post if the processor is too high? I only need to get to the bios so that I can update it using EZ flash.

Happy New Year to you all
    Last edited by stu009; 12-30-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Actually if you need to, you can flash the BIOS using the award flash utility. Just make a bootable floppy, and a second floppy with the newest BIOS and the Awardflash utility from the Crosshair CD onto it.

Boot up using the bootable floppy, and when the DOS prompt A appears, insert the second disk and type 'awdflash' and enter. Then you will need to enter the BIOS file name (0401.bin or something similar), and you are on your way.

Do this only if you can't get into the BIOS to use the EZ Flash.

I would think however that it would boot, but would just apply a lower multiplier to the 5200, in effect underclocking it to 2.2 or 2.4Ghz.

Cool Re: Crosshair theads are starting to scare me

That's strange info on the X2 5200+.

When I built this rig two months ago, I ended up sending one mobo back to Newegg, but all they did was send me a new one with the same no boot problem, so the second one I sent to Asus and what they returned has worked perfectly.

Just before Christmas I upgraded to the X2 5200+ and had no trouble with the motherboard recognizing the 5200+ and it reports stock speed at 2.61 GHz.

It was worth the aggravation!!

Cool Re: Crosshair theads are starting to scare me

Another Crosshair dumb question?? The back plate, after running for a couple of months does anyone know if the back plate sticks to the motherboard like previous Asus back plates did??

The reson for the question is, I want to change from the plastic RM to Thermalright's Bolt-Thru Kit, but if the back plate isn't stuck to the motherboard I'll have to remove the motherboard from the case before making the changeover, a whole lot of work in my case!!

Finally put it all together, and it all works.

No problem with the original bios, but I updated it anyway. Once I did that I put in the second stick of memory and installed windows, no problems what so ever.

I have had a little play around with the software and have so far uninstalled the AI booster and the cool and quiet programs. The cool and quiet one just seems to crash the computer. I might give it another go in a bit as I like the idea.

Now I do have a few more questions, the first I think is an oversite on Asus’s part. I cannot find a pin layout for the front audio panel anywhere, I think there are two one on the motherboard and one on the sound daughterboard. The pins that I think are for front audio are down the bottom right of the mobo and just below the cd audio thing on the daughterboard. Does anyone know how to connect front audio to this motherboard?

Another thing that I am not too sure about is one of the voltages. According to the PC Probe II program CPU – NB – HT should be within 10% of 1.2V. Mine stays at 1.36V so I got that loud scary alarm going off straight away. Is the default voltage in the program wrong or am I burning out my processor as we speak? I have been checking the temps and using SiSoftware Sandra to burn the processor I can only get it up to 50oC.

Finally the memory that I have says that it should be run at 4-4-4-12 and at 2.1V. It auto detects at 5-5-5-18 T2 at 1.9V(I think, cannot remember exactly). Now I have changed it to 4-4-4-12 T1 and left the voltage and it seems stable. Should I increase the voltage or not? With the memory bandwidth test I get 8266MB/s @ 2.1V and 8243MB/s @ 1.9V.

Here is a pic of it all in my case

here is a pic of the mess I caused while working

And here is a pic of me trying to tidy the cables

First off nice setup!

Secondly, go ahead and set the memory voltage to manufacturers specs.

As far as the CPU->NB voltage, they all seem to be at 1.36. I have a feeling that either the setting in PC Probe is wrong, or Asus bumped the default voltage to increase stability somewhere during development. You can adjust the alarm tolerance up to 30% and let her fly.

Front Panel audio? No one at ASUS seems to know either.

Are you going to replace that stock AMD cooler? I would suggest it if you plan on overclocking.

Congrats on the smooth build and new rig!

wow nice seriously nice setup i can tell already thats gonna be a nice looking rig.
    did you use that one case with the red strip down the faceplate? couldn't find it on newegg -.- but coulda sworn i saw it there once anyway.

how much was this whole thing it looks like it took a nice bite outta your wallet