Flaw in Windows Vista....

Re: Flaw in Windows Vista....

What a shocker (Sarcasm intended). Vista is simply a continuation of the MS idea that integrating every possible function into the OS is a good thing. I don’t even class Windows as an OS anymore, it’s more of a software sweet. Integrated browsing, video, audio, virus protection, internet protection, etc… It’s so bloated there is no way it can be made reasonable secure.

Vista is the embodiment of Microsoft’s greed driving their product development. And it is their strangle hold on OEM’s and software developers that allows them to get away with it. If I could switch to Linux and still have the applications I run now (Games mostly) do reasonable well or run at all in some cases I would.

This wont be the last security flaw found you can quote me on that.
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

Quote Originally Posted by mjt67 View Post
    According to the NY Times, it's the 6th...

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/12...ers-6-vista-0/
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/25/te...rssnyt&emc=rss

Although there's a more reasonable commentary here:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Is_V...s/1167176211/1

Anyway, Ratboy is spot on - it certainly won't be the last. The issue isn't whether there are flaws (ALL OSes have flaws), or even how many, but it's how effectively they are dealt with.

For example, there are currently STILL 3 unpatched CRITICAL security flaws in MS Word that Microsoft has chosen not to bother fixing, but rather advises customers not to open Word documents from untrusted sources or documents you weren't expecting from trusted sources. Hmmm... well, that's about EVERY Word document I receive, so everything's hunky-dory there then

It's been over a month now, so I'm tempted to email Microsoft to ask them exactly when they may be able to advise me that it's safe for me to get back to work... I don't expect a reply

If Microsoft think I'm gonna pay $300 buck for an OS and another $500 for an Office suite to be told not to open documents from people I work with because they can't be bothered to fix the holes in their buggy software... Well, you work it out!
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 12-28-2006 at 03:21 PM.

A few months after their release, both Windows XP and Windows 2000 were found to have over 200,000 flaws each. If the Vista family only had a small amount of flaws a few months after release, by most standards of software development that's an excellent effort. As Ned said, it depends on what the flaws are and how they're patched.

MS pledged last year that the next Windows OS would require less patches and hotfixes on release than any previous version. Only time will tell, but I think it'll be much better than previous expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    As Ned said, it depends on what the flaws are and how they're patched.

MS pledged last year that the next Windows OS would require less patches and hotfixes on release than any previous version.
    See - to me, that's the problem. I couldn't care less how many flaws there are - I just care that they are fixed before they are exploited.

We started the year with the truly horrible 0-day WMF vulnerability being widely exploited in the wild, and it looks like we're going to end the year with three unpatched 0-day vulnerabilities in Word being actively exploited.

Where's the progress? How have we moved forward?

When I try to explain to the company boss that staff can't safely open ANY Word documents for the foreseeable future, they look at me like I'm totally mad. The last Word 0-day exploit dropped a trojan-downloader that downloaded a new W32/Sality variant. This is a highly destructive polymorphic virus that injects itself into all running executable files (.exe, .scr). The only reliable recovery process was a complete format and reinstall. Heck, even the AV companies didn't reliably detect it for nearly a month.

These aren't trivial issues and consume an immense amount of time and resources for the average system admin, and Microsoft has to start taking them seriously if it expects it's customers to take it seriously on security. A company can only be judged on it's performance, and Microsoft's present performance sucks, period! I know it's trying, but it has to recognize it has a very long way to go.

The way I see it, regardless of which OS the market "prefers" to use, there are almost always going to be exploits, some of them zero-day exploits. Realistically not all of them can be fixed very quickly, however we have proof from the WMF exploit that MS are dragging their feet. To me the number does count. Each one is time spent buggerising around securing systems when productive work could be occuring. I agree with you. I guess an option in the meantime is to use an alternative format. Expensive and unreasonable, but I guess that's one price we may have to pay for allowing one product to have such a massive market share.