Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Cool some new hardware on the way

adding some new hardware to the farm in the form of:

1 x E6600 conroe
    1 x 1950 Pro

the conroe is going into a new build and both cores will, of course, fold 24/7. the gpu will go into my current rig which is powered by an x2 4400 and will also fold. i realize one of the 2 cores out of the 4400 will have to be dedicated to the GPU so ill be looking at 2 cores (conroe) running the cpu client, and the x2 running one cpu core and one gpu core.

can anyone give me an idea of what i can expect production wise out of this?

ill be sure to update my folding power info in the appropriate thread once i get everything online.
    hmm...

Re: some new hardware on the way

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
    adding some new hardware to the farm in the form of:

1 x E6600 conroe
    1 x 1950 Pro

the conroe is going into a new build and both cores will, of course, fold 24/7. the gpu will go into my current rig which is powered by an x2 4400 and will also fold. i realize one of the 2 cores out of the 4400 will have to be dedicated to the GPU so ill be looking at 2 cores (conroe) running the cpu client, and the x2 running one cpu core and one gpu core.

can anyone give me an idea of what i can expect production wise out of this?

ill be sure to update my folding power info in the appropriate thread once i get everything online.

GREAT !

The Conroe with Linux and SMP can easily do 1500 ppd (I think I saw somewhere very recently) ...

The X2 4400+ with 1 GPU, I don't know; that you 'll have to get an answer from Jester for ...
    I guess it will be around the same as the system above or thereabouts.

Why we are Folding - Movie
    Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

well the conroe will have to get windows as it will be my main rig (big time linux newb). ive tried a couple of times changing my local server (x2 3800) over to linux, but every time i have tried, i have met with big time faliure. always fails with some kind of critical kernel error. tried with a couple of different distros (SuSE, Mandrake, fedorah). i dont know if it is my lack of knowledge, or if the ISOs get screwed up somehow when i try to burn them. probably a combination of both.

so unless stanford releases an SMP client for windows...im hit.
    hmm...

well the conroe will have to get windows as it will be my main rig (big time linux newb). ive tried a couple of times changing my local server (x2 3800) over to linux, but every time i have tried, i have met with big time faliure. always fails with some kind of critical kernel error. tried with a couple of different distros (SuSE, Mandrake, fedorah). i dont know if it is my lack of knowledge, or if the ISOs get screwed up somehow when i try to burn them. probably a combination of both.

so unless stanford releases an SMP client for windows...im hit.

I think the latter is a long-term plan.

I 'm running SMP on my X2 3800+ (clocked @ 4800+) with Xubuntu (an other Ubuntu flavour).
    Went fine (I used version 6.10) and just had to install the 32-bit libs to be able to run the SMP client which is still 32-bit coded. The SMP-core is 64-bit.
    on
    It has almost finished 30 WU's since I started with it on 12-09-2006 ...

nice
    hmm...

Hello TWO,

Yes Kubuntu 6.10 installs fine; just need to remember to load the 32 bit library.

I am a newbie to LINUX and with Annirak's help got it up in a couple of days.

Why it took so long is neither of us realized we needed the ia31-lib.

Once I found that out from another folder we were up.

The new install procedure that Annirak published should help you get there.

On the image burning, you must check the hash with MD5. That is also in Annirak's install instructions.

Then I also checked the integrity before I actually installed it. An integrity check is one of the options on the Kubuntu install menu. Do it before you install.

Here is the link to Annirak's guide.

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=431996

The x2 4400+ should be good for 1200-1500 ppd too based on overclocking.

You have a cpu/gpu combo running and a cpu client on the other processor.

I have a x2 4200+ , 1 gig ram, at 2.44 ghz. It is running about 1000ppd maybe a little more.
    ASUS P5K-SE, Q6600, 2 GIG CORSAIR @2.7GHZ ATI X1900XT

Watch This Wonderful Movie about the benefits of Folding

thanks for all the info. checking out that install thread now.

the last time i tried linux...i did check the hash and everything checked out fine. bad burn maybe is all i can think of...of course it could be any number of things as im linux illiterate.
    hmm...

thanks for all the info. checking out that install thread now.

the last time i tried linux...i did check the hash and everything checked out fine. bad burn maybe is all i can think of...of course it could be any number of things as im linux illiterate.

Since I started burning CD-R's and I found out you could do a 'Write Verify' (in NERO anyway) I 've always ticked that box; because during a burn there is NO verification of that action ...
    If you don't do it right after a burn, you could get a surprise when you want to use that CD a bit later on ... ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by noorman View Post

Since I started burning CD-R's and I found out you could do a 'Write Verify' (in NERO anyway) I 've always ticked that box; because during a burn there is NO verification of that action ...
    If you don't do it right after a burn, you could get a surprise when you want to use that CD a bit later on ... ! ! !

i did use nero but cant recall if i used the write verify or not.

im downloading 6.10 now. couldnt grab the DVD because the page wouldnt load. grabbed the desktop-amd64.iso cd version. should be done downloading by the time i finish my post. then ill check the hash, then use nero to burn with write verify.

since its a live cd...ill try that first to see if it will run on my local server. if that all goes well...then ill shoot for trying to install it to the HDD tomorrow. ill get it folding and running how it should...then ill look into getting apache, php, and mysql installed.

thanks for all the help everyone.
    hmm...

Nice rig Wise, have fun setting it up.

Quote Originally Posted by frosty22 View Post
    Nice rig Wise, have fun setting it up.
    thanks!

will be only the second intel rig i have ever built. first was a P4 2.8 i ended up selling.
    hmm...

thanks!

will be only the second intel rig i have ever built. first was a P4 2.8 i ended up selling.
    Oh Wise One do the Linux thingy I'm averaging 2500 ppd with a Mac core 2 duo running the SMP Client, an Opty dc 165 pushed a bit running Linux and 2 P4 HT boxes with winders and 2 clients each.
    Last edited by Shadco; 12-28-2006 at 08:22 PM.
    Which Piano should I buy if I want to play like Mozart?

GB P35-DS3R q6600@3.15 Kubuntu LinuxUbuntu Linux
    Asus Commando q6600@3.15/1950XTX Winders/VMWare/Kubuntu
    IMac 2ghz c2d OSX 10.4
    Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz c2d
    3DMark 44113

Quote Originally Posted by Shadco View Post
    Oh Wise One do the Linux thingy I'm averaging 2500 ppd with a Mac core 2 duo running the SMP Client, an Opty dc 165 pushed running Linux a bit and 2 P4 HT boxes with winders and 2 clients each.
    im working on that now. got the ISO of kubuntu downloaded. will be burning the iso tonight. hopefully i can it to run on the local server.

that would give me 1 3800 X2 with SMP, 1 3800 X2 running windows and stock (wifes rig) 1 e6600 running windows (main rig) and one 4400 X2 running one cpu and gpu client. should make for some nice production.
    hmm...

im working on that now. got the ISO of kubuntu downloaded. will be burning the iso tonight. hopefully i can it to run on the local server.

that would give me 1 3800 X2 with SMP, 1 3800 X2 running windows and stock (wifes rig) 1 e6600 running windows (main rig) and one 4400 X2 running one cpu and gpu client. should make for some nice production.

DON'T FORGET TO RUN THE MD5 HASH CHECK on the download before burning the CD.
    Then run the integrity check (start-menu CD) ...

Then install ...

Nice choice Wise!!!!!!!!