"Government Virii"

I just had a random thought, what if there are so called "Government Virii" (the real plural of virus) that are used by Governments or other powers and that all anti-virus software must ignore by law.

Has anyone ever thought about this? Is it more than a random thought?

P.S. Sorry if this in the wrong section

Re: "Government Virii"

Or to look at it from the other side, consider security technologies that are dumbed down to make systems more accessible to government agencies. PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) is an example of this.

"Virii" is not plural for virus. Almost all English dictionaries will verify that

Quote Originally Posted by dementedwombat View Post
    I just had a random thought, what if there are so called "Government Virii" (the real plural of virus) that are used by Governments or other powers and that all anti-virus software must ignore by law.

Has anyone ever thought about this? Is it more than a random thought?
    They'd be detected in a flash by users. Any such virus would either need a backdoor to get in, and that's easily detected by a port scanner to scan for open ports and easily blocked by any firewall, or they'd need an open outgoing connection to report stuff back to C&C HQ, and that would be easily detected by any packet sniffer.

The chances of any such virus going unnoticed for any length of time is virtually zero.

Far more likely is that governments pass local laws requiring ISPs to retain all traffic passing through their services for up to 7 years. Then the government can simply grab the data (with a court order) and find out exactly what you've been up to if it's gone over the Internet. Traffic to or from certain destinations of interest can also be routed through government facilities allowing convenient capture.

Bottom line, they don't need to stick a virus on your machine as there's plenty of other more covert ways they can access that data.

@Mjolnir: Technically, “virus” is Latin. In English it may be viruses but in Latin I believe it to be virii (virii still sounds cooler than viruses, and easier to say).

@Ned Slider: Well, I will have to agree with you, but most users (me included) don’t know that much about computer security.

I know more than some, but I’m still pretty clueless. I try to pick up some bits of info as I go along, but I never was very good at learning out of books and Idaho isn’t exactly known for its computer experts.

Oh well, I’m only 15. I guess I have plenty of time to learn

Oh well, I’m only 15. I guess I have plenty of time to learn
    Yes, plenty of time. I didn't know anything at all about viruses when I was 15, so you're already ahead of me

@Mjolnir: Technically, “virus” is Latin. In English it may be viruses but in Latin I believe it to be virii (virii still sounds cooler than viruses, and easier to say).
    Even in Latin it's not the accepted plural, but you're right, it does sound cool

There are a few books along this sort of line that might interest you. Not viruses as such, but hacking and counter hacking. Light reading novels. "Takedown" by Tsutomu Shimomura (and John Markoff) is about how one of the most notorious hackers, Kevin Mitnick. Mitnick also has his own books out and has done a bunch of other media stuff.

When I was 15, computer viruses could practically only be transferred with a 3½" or 5¼" floppy disk.

Cool Re: "Government Virii"

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    When I was 15, computer viruses could practically only be transferred with a 3½" or 5¼" floppy disk.
    [/SIZE]
    When I was 15, there were NO viruses at all and maybe 20 computers. ROFLMAO

Quote Originally Posted by thewanderer View Post
    When I was 15, there were NO viruses at all and maybe 20 computers. ROFLMAO
    LOL. How quickly the world has changed eh? Your generation and your parents generation have seen some massive changes in time.

Sometimes I think it is just my perception, but actually, as time passes things are advancing at an ever increasing rate. Come to think of it, just like the Universe, expanding at an increasing pace. Something is drawing everything away from each other. From individuals to galaxies. HHHHMMMMM, my head hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    consider security technologies that are dumbed down to make systems more accessible to government agencies. PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) is an example of this.
    Do you have some links to some info on this? I've been reading a bit about PGP lately, and it's my impression that "dumbing down" PGP kinda negates the entire purpose of its existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Regent View Post
    Do you have some links to some info on this? I've been reading a bit about PGP lately, and it's my impression that "dumbing down" PGP kinda negates the entire purpose of its existence.
    It was in the early days of PGP. I remember alot of fuss about it from back then. The PGP Wiki page suggests the US government were a bit freaked by it. Maybe it wasn't dumbed down. Maybe the US raised the encryption bar. The impression I got at the time (in a nutshell) was that it was dumbed down because the US government found it hard to decrypt, hence it would pose a security risk.

I have no doubt that other software technologies have been dumbed down for use by the masses.

Yes, I remember back in the mid nineties, the version of IE available outside of the US had far lower encryption as at that time it was illegal to export certain encryption technologies to certain countries.

I don't know if it's a case of dumbing down or not, but I can't believe Microsoft don't add salt when generating LM hashes for passwords in XP (it takes about 2 seconds to crack a standard 14 alphanumeric character WinXP password!!). Even Vista doesn't add salt to it's password hashes, although it does enforce slightly stronger LMNT2 password hashes that are a little harder to crack.

I was VERY surprised when I first saw that in action and use it all the time now to instantly recover lost XP passwords

a vrus disrupts biz practices. biz makes less money,pays less taxes. gvenrment dun want that

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
    a vrus disrupts biz practices. biz makes less money,pays less taxes. gvenrment dun want that
    Not all virus are disruptive, some of them are far more stealthy and are simply intrusive. However, a virus can be used against its own creator as its no longer under direct control.

You are far more likely to see backdoors, master encryption keys and / or passive information storage on the head end.

The chief drawback to all of this is the vast amount of information to store and process.