Will I need SP2 to upgrade to Vista?

Only running SP1

Do I need Sp2 installed to upgrade to Vista?
    Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem @4Ghz
    CoolerMaster V8
    EVGA X58 3X SLI
    Antec Signature 850W
    Antec Twelve-Hundred
    6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz(Triple Channel)
    EVGA GTS 250 (500mb) x 2 (SLI)
    WD Caviar Black SATA 1TB
    Seagate 500G External
    Samsung SyncMaster T260 (HDMI)
    HK SoundSticks II
    Vista64 SP2

Re: Will I need SP2 to upgrade to Vista?

No, but IMHO and from a lot of Beta testing, I suggest you just do a clean install of Vista. DO NOT use the upgrade function.
    Compared to a clean install, the upgrade was surprisingly similar. The steps are basically all the same, except that when you first choose Upgrade from the Setup routine, Setup performs a driver compatibility check (Figure) and reports back which might cause issues (Figure). This part of setup is incomplete looking and gave me some spurious results.

Once setup is complete, you skip the clean install first boot experience and proceed directly to the Vista Welcome screen (Figure), which lets you logon to a previously-configured user, put the machine to sleep, shut down, or restart (Figure). When you logon, Vista retains some of your settings (like the desktop background) but not others (like the desktop icon size) (Figure).

Many of you will be interested in how the various applications and hardware devices survived the upgrade. The results weren't too encouraging, though to be fair, Microsoft did warn me that upgrading with this build would be rough. Adobe Reader 7, Apple QuickTime 7, Microsoft Windows Live Messenger Beta, Mozilla Firefox, and WinZIP 10 all made the transition just fine. Meanwhile, Apple iTunes 6, Microsoft Cmd Here PowerToy, Microsoft WMP 10 Energy Bliss Visualization for Windows Media Player 10, and ZoneAlarm Security Suite had essentially disappeared. It was if they had never been installed (a repair of the iTunes application failed to fix things).
    More info here: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/...ta_5308_02.asp
    And here: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_03.asp
    Last edited by UncleBob; 01-06-2007 at 10:22 AM.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Agree 100% with UncleBob. Windows' history shows that upgrading from one OS to another doesn't produce great results. Always best to install fresh.

Yes agreed as well - Clean Install is the best one than Upgrade.