Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

So who's jumping onto VISTA bandwagon?

In three weeks I'll be running to the store to pick up my copy of Windows Vista. I'm planning to get Vista Ultimate, an upgrade to my Windows 64bit licence.
    So how many are planning to do the same?

Re: So who's jumping onto VISTA bandwagon?

I am getting the Home Premiumn. I have been using pirated copies since Windows 3.1 and now it time for me to go legit. Yes, I can admit that.

How would a guide to Vista work for you guys? Im imagining there will be 1000's of questions. Or is the net already saturated with info?

Vista is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing
    Game - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ / Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 125W / Patroit 8GB DDR2 800 CAS 4 Timing: 4-4-4-12 / Sapphire HD 6870 1GB / Antec Three Hundred Case / PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W / X-Fi XtremeGamer / Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s /Windows Vista home premium 64 SP1

Back up - Biostar 6100-939 / A64 3800 Venice(Stock 2.4) / 1.5 GB Corsair XMS 3200 / HD3870

You know. Take a framework like this and get into more detail?[this happens to be from Wiki]

End-user features

The appearance of Windows Explorer has changed significantly from Windows XP.
    • Windows Aero: a new hardware-based graphical user interface, named Windows Aero an acronym (possibly a backronym) for Authentic, Energetic, Reflective, and Open. The new interface is intended to be cleaner and more aesthetically pleasing than previous Windows, including new transparencies, animations and eye candy.
    • Windows Shell: The new Windows shell is significantly different from Windows XP, offering a new range of organization, navigation, and search capabilities. Windows Explorer's task pane has been removed, integrating the relevant task options into the toolbar. A "Favorite links" pane has been added, enabling one-click access to common directories. The address bar has been replaced with a breadcrumb navigation system. The Start menu has changed as well; it no longer uses ever-expanding boxes when navigating through Programs. Even the word "Start" itself has been removed in favor of a blue Windows Orb.
    • Windows Search (also known as Instant Search or search as you type): significantly faster and more thorough search capabilities. Search boxes have been added to the Start menu, Windows Explorer, and several of the applications included with Vista. By default, Instant Search indexes only a small number of folders such as the start menu, the names of files opened, the Documents folder, and the user's e-mail. Advanced options allow to choose for a specific file type how it should be indexed, the properties only or the properties and the file contents or exclude it.
    • Windows Sidebar: A transparent panel anchored to the side of the screen where a user can place Desktop Gadgets, which are small applets designed for a specialized purpose (such as displaying the weather or sports scores). Gadgets can also be placed on other parts of the Desktop, if desired.
    • Windows Internet Explorer 7: new user interface, tabbed browsing, RSS, a search box, improved printing, Page Zoom, Quick Tabs (thumbnails of all open tabs), a number of new security protection features, and improved web standards support. IE7 in Windows Vista runs in isolation from other applications in the operating system (protected mode); exploits and malicious software are restricted from writing to any location beyond Temporary Internet Files without explicit user consent.

Windows Media Player 11
    • Windows Media Player 11, a major revamp of Microsoft's program for playing and organizing music and video. New features in this version include word wheeling (or "search as you type"), a completely new and highly graphical interface for the media library, photo display and organization, and the ability to share music libraries over a network with other Vista machines, Xbox 360 integration, and support for other Media Center Extenders.
    • Backup and Restore Center: Includes a backup and restore application that gives users the ability to schedule periodic backups of files on their computer, as well as recovery from previous backups. Backups are incremental, storing only the changes each time, minimizing the disk usage. It also features CompletePC Backup which backs up an entire computer as an image onto a hard disk or DVD. CompletePC Backup can automatically recreate a machine setup onto new hardware or hard disk in case of any hardware failures.
    • Windows Mail: A replacement for Outlook Express that includes a completely replaced mail store that improves stability, and enables real-time search. It has the Phishing Filter like IE7 and a Junk mail filtering which is enhanced through regular updates via Windows Update.[9]

Windows Update with Windows Ultimate Extras
    • Windows Calendar is a new calendar and task application.
    • Windows Photo Gallery, a photo and movie library management application. WPG can import from digital cameras, tag and rate individual items, adjust colors and exposure, create and display slideshows (with pan and fade effects), and burn slideshows to DVD.
    • Windows DVD Maker, a companion program to Windows Movie Maker, which provides the ability to create video DVDs based on a user's content.
    • Windows Meeting Space is the replacement for NetMeeting. Users can share applications (or their entire Desktop) with other users on the local network, or over the Internet using peer-to-peer technology.
    • Windows Media Center, which was previously exclusively bundled as a separate version of Windows XP, known as Windows XP Media Center Edition, will be incorporated into the Home Premium and Ultimate editions of Windows Vista.
    • Games: Every game included with Windows has been rewritten to take advantage of Vista's new graphics capabilities. New games include Chess Titans, Mahjong Titans and Purble Place. The Games section will also hold links and information to all games on the user's computer. One piece of information that will be shown is the game's ESRB rating.
    Improved audio controls allow the system-wide volume or volume of individual audio devices and even individual applications to be controlled separately. Introduced new audio functionalities such as Room Correction, Bass Management and Speaker Fill [2].
    • System Performance Assessment is a benchmark used by Windows Vista to regulate the system for optimum performance. Games can take advantage of this feature, reading the data produced by this benchmark in order to fine-tune the game details. The benchmark tests CPU, RAM, Graphics acceleration (2D and 3D) and disk access.[11]

To the OP question? Yeah. Ill do it.
    Im thinking we have several members that have great experience with beta versions. We could...if needed put together a team of guys to handle questions. If the moderators wanted? We could set up a sub forum for awhile to ease the crush of questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RatboyX View Post
    Vista is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing
    Just like your post?

I am happy to see Vista has finally arrived and I can't wait to use it on my machine.

Im about there with you.
    If you install IE 7...some of the elements make better sense.
    Specifically I cant wait to see the 3 D Aero interface.
    The idea of opening transparent windows stacked in a realistic 3 D deal just gets me. Thats one thing.
    I also read [alot] of how audio has been completely reworked. Very cool.

[and of course my impression of the OS will be greatly influenced on just how fast Ryan sends me a copy]
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 01-09-2007 at 04:24 PM.

I see one of the guys I mentioned...I give you BD51!![I believe hes been using it in beta no?]

Actually, I'm quite happy with RC2 so far. I do have a copy of Home premium upgrade coming, but this copy is good until June 07. I've been slowly adding apps to build me a compatability list.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

You know I sort of got caught up in the hype... but after reading the ATI card thing on the main page and how it will only run with Vista....

I could deal with a new piece of hardware needing new S/W to make it run - like the 8800's and the directX issue. What get's me is the incideous creeping and infringment of hardware drm - and I'm starting to see Vista as something that chips away at your decision making ability.

I know ultimately I will run a dual boot system with Vista and XP. I have plenty of hard drives. I'll wait until SP1 (or SP2) and see if what I suspect will happen to PC users comes to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by eoniverse View Post
    You know I sort of got caught up in the hype... but after reading the ATI card thing on the main page and how it will only run with Vista....

I could deal with a new piece of hardware needing new S/W to make it run - like the 8800's and the directX issue. What get's me is the incideous creeping and infringment of hardware drm - and I'm starting to see Vista as something that chips away at your decision making ability.

I know ultimately I will run a dual boot system with Vista and XP. I have plenty of hard drives. I'll wait until SP1 (or SP2) and see if what I suspect will happen to PC users comes to pass.
    I havent read the piece yet....but I take your point. Also remember....stuff like this

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blog...s/4208929.html

But understand. I know what you are getting at. Seems like a real restriction [too cute/cozy a connection] when software and hardware
    seem to be in bed together.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataplague View Post
    I want it, but i cant justify the cost.
    i will just get a pirated version.

tisk tisk tisk somebody wants a spanking

I used RC2 for a while till the 20GB partition I had it on ran out of space. Also found some of my apps did not work or work right. Could never get any of my remote access apps to function.

But it was fun still to justify the $200-$400 for a new OS is ludicrous.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Is that what its gonna cost? Sheesh Louise.