Is BLU-RAY worth it?

I was checking out a Blu ray drive @ Newegg http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...ners-RW-Drives Would you buy it?
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Re: Is BLU-RAY worth it?

To view movies, no. To back up data maybe "if" it was at same price for drives and media as current dual-layer dvds.

Not right now.
    Ebay---Heatware---Paypal verified---Project:Geared Up---My Site-ROSSWERKZ.COM

No way. I'd rather use a tape drive or big hard disk to back stuff up on.

Hard to justify that much money when it could get you a raid controller + a terabyte to back stuff up on.

Blue Ray still burns super slow correct? And the disks still are not exactly cheap correct? So cost of ownership will keep on going up and up while usability will more than likely still remain cumbersome and leave more to be desired.

...Unless you have a bunch of blue ray movies you want to watch

A quote from Krodrig2

"Just bought a Samsung Blu-Ray HD Disk Player and it was worth the money. I already had a up converting dvd player but this thing makes a normal dvd look so much better and the hd movies, all I can say is WOW."

I think it is worth it if movies are one of your primary interests, or if you just won the Lottery.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

I wouldn't touch Blu-Ray right now with a ten foot cattle prod. WAY too much money for what you get imo.
    Beware liberals with guns.

I have the poor mans blu ray the playstaion3 and combine that with my full hd 46 inch sony all i can say is wow to the pic quality....1920/1080 p on the computer as well.
    Is it worth it for the burner yet id say not unless you have a full hd vidio camera which requires one to burn off the movies from the camera
    Foxx

Hot deals trading rules
    rig
    950 i7 core,evga ftw3 mobo,3x2 gigpc12000,1xevga480, 4 x 74 g raptors, 2- 500gb seagates,46inch lcd monitor max res 1920\1080,obsidian 800d

wait for 2nd or 3rd gen b4 you even consider bluray or hd-dvd drives!!!

buying first gen anything is silly/stupid, its overpriced, and slower as well as lacking fetures the next gen will have.
    also the media is insainly overpriced!!!!