• I'll wait untill all of the bugs are worked out

18 21.95%
  • Only if I can get the "Open Source" version

9 10.98%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vista

Vista

This is public

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

Re: Vista

I just finished downloading Linspire 10 min ago.
    Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

I'll throw it on at least one machine, don't know if I'll really use it or not until I try it.
    Tyan S5397 2x X5450 16GB - SuperMicro H8DCI 2x 275 8GB - Iwill DK8X 2x Opteron 250 2GB

Take a Kid FISHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Electric Bill View Post
    I just finished downloading Linspire 10 min ago.
    Bill
    Linsire is pretty nice.....

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

I have 3 machines running Vista Ultimate now, and a free upgrade on the way. I have a KT6 that I am thinking of loading Linspire on.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

I already pre-ordered for Windows Vista Ultimate this month and will replace XP SP2 cos there are lots of hotfix in XP Sp2 so best to reduce the disk space. MS will upgrade to vista SP1 by next year and then SP2 by 2 or 3 years time.

When Hell freezes over...and we can't even seem to get an snow in Cleveland these days.

I won't be upgrading until I hear more about Microsoft's latest scheme involving upgrading hardware and Vista. XP's bad enough with product activation, but this business of "change a motherboard, buy a new copy of Vista" just won't fly with me.

Lol, maybe we should all pitch in and buy BD a couple of new motherboards to see if he can't test out this new "feature".

I won't be upgrading until I hear more about Microsoft's latest scheme involving upgrading hardware and Vista. XP's bad enough with product activation
    I read an article in either Power PC or PC World and it stated that Beta users informed Microsoft that this type of restriction would not fly either. So Microsoft changed the licensing to equal XP sp2.

I just figured I would share some info I read.

Bill
    Asus A7N8X 2.0 bios 1005
    Athlon 1700+ w thermalright SLK800U w Artic silver 3
    512 corsair twinx PC2700
    80 gig WD 7200 SE
    ATI Radeon 9500 pro 128
    Pixelview Play TV PVR
    Antec true power 430
    Buslink 52X24X52
    Toshiba 16xDVD
    Win XP Pro SP1

Like XP, there will be ways to turn off the DRM stuff sooner or later. To me that's not an issue. The issue is the layout being cumbersome compared to earlier versions of Windows. Maybe I just need to learn to use it. For now I'm happy I know heaps of commands for system programs and applets.

I said "No", but "No" isn't the real answer - here are my hangups...

1) If/When it becomes cheaper I would consider moving to it. But I am NOT going to shell out $259 for the Ultimate version, which is the only version I would consider buying. It would have to get near the $125 range before I'll even consider it. I might opt for Premium, but it would have to get sub-$100. Since I don't think Microsoft is going to budge on these prices for at least 12 months - I said "no" to the poll.

2) I ran Win98 into the ground until long after XP-SP1 was out...I'll do the same with XP until Vista-SP1 is out. Every OS goes through that initial period (6 months or so) where vendors are scrambling to get their drivers nailed down and playing nice....I'll wait until the smoke clears a bit.

3) I don't currently have a reason to move to Vista. Perhaps when there are a few "must have DX10" games out there....and I have the money to buy a new DX10 graphics card AND shell out whatever Vista will cost at that point... Even though I think PC games are a ton better than any console game, I just may decide to go pick up a Wii and a PS3 for gaming and only use WindowsXP and PCLinuxOS for all non-gaming stuff. That would mean my current PC will be lasting me at least another 5 years....which in the long saves me a ton of money.

Lots of decisions to make. On the up side, no one is holding a gun to my head telling me that I have to buy Vista. I can take my sweet time working my way through these decisions. I would advice anyone that is considering buying Vista to wait. Perhaps if enough people wait, the prices will come down, turning it into a better value proposition.

You're pretty much right along the same train of thought as me Drake. Microsoft may have just put the final nail into PC gaming with Vista. There are very few people who are going to be able to afford Vista plus a DX10 graphics card for at least another year. Think about it, those two items alone are more than a PS3 alone, and that doesn't even include the rest of the computer.

I will say this, if Microsoft does force me away from PC gaming and I have to get a console, I'd never consider an XBox360 or any of their products in the future. I'd be on the biggest Microsoft boycott ever.

Yep kbohip, and what really really stinks is that DX10 has some great possibilities for games - a serious "wow" factor...

I voted open source. But I've already bought XP with upgrade coupon.

Sounds like when we were all moving to XP..haha