Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My NF4 SLI-DR died

Well, I knew it would happen eventually. This is my fifth DFI NForce board (going back to the NF2's) and I tend to push 'em pretty hard with overclockin'. In the 3-4 years since I bought my first one I've never had a boot issue that a simple bios clear didn't fix. For some reason my NF4 SLI-DR decided to lock up the other day. When I went to reboot it, I got the good old 4 LED's of Death. Tried the simple bios clear, no go. Checked the cpu, psu, and ram in another board and they are all fine (opty 150, Corsair XMS3200LL 2x512, and the newer improved Antec TruePower 550). Tried an overnight cmos clear with the PSU unplugged, still no go. Am in the tail end of a 30 hour long cmos clear (the RGone recommended proceedure). I won't know till I get home if that fixes it or not, but I am having my doubts. Is this one of the mobos that would sometimes boot with PC2100 when all else failed or not (what a time for DFI-Street to be down as I know they had a sticky about this)? Any other ideas of things to try? I don't have another NF4 board to try a bios hotflash, but I do have a DFI NF3 Ultra D. Would I be able to use that to hotflash the bios chip from the SLI-DR?

At this point I'm stumped, but I do need to get this rig up and runnin' again as it's my main system. Any advice would be appreciated.

Mr. Novi
    Last edited by MrNovi; 01-20-2007 at 11:12 PM.
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

Re: My NF4 SLI-DR died

Wish I could help MrNovi but my Ultra-D has been acting up lately.
    After almost 2 years at 2.9-3.0GHz I'm now down to 2.8 and not Prime stable there.
    I'm waiting for something to fail so I can fix it (hopefully).

Gluck
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

It wouldn't be so bad if I had purchased it new, but I bought it used off of the DFI-Street Trading Forum so I don't see this getting RMAd.

Mr. Novi

How bout the CPU? Have you tryed swapping it out. I just got my first dual core opty yesterday and Have a lot of fiddling around to do for the next couple of days but did you run the chip with a very high voltage or did it hum along just fine at default vcore?
    DFI T2RS, Q9450@3.4, 2X1gig Ballistix, EVGA 460GTX
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L, Q6600@3.2Ghz, OCZ 6400 DDR2, EVGA 9850
    ASUS P5K-E WiFi, Q6600@3.2ghz, 2X1gig Mushkin XP2 6400 DDR2, EVGA 260GTX
    ASUS P5Q-Pro Turbo, Q9450@3.4Ghz, 2X1gig Mushkin HP 6400 DDR2 EVGA 9850
    ASUS P5K Prem WiFi Q9450@3.4Ghz, 2X2gb OCZ DDR2 800, MSI 460GTX Cyclone
    Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, Q6600 , 2X1gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, EVGA 9800GT
    ASUS P5K Prem WiFi Q9450@3.4Ghz 2X2gb OCZ DDR2 800, Asus 9850GTX
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3R, Q6600@3.2Ghz, 2X1gb Corsair XMS 12-4-4-4, BFG9850GTX
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3L, Q9450@3.4, 2X1gb Corsair XMS 12-4-4-4, BFG9850GTX

Quote Originally Posted by Radiohead View Post
    How bout the CPU? Have you tryed swapping it out. I just got my first dual core opty yesterday and Have a lot of fiddling around to do for the next couple of days but did you run the chip with a very high voltage or did it hum along just fine at default vcore?
    As I stated in the op, I checked the cpu in another system and it ran fine (I guess I should have stated that I also tried the other systems cpu in the SLI-DR). At default voltage it ran at 2.8GHz without a hitch. I only bumped it to 1.4 and +.03 (or whatever the lowest setting was). I'm going to try hotflashing the bios from another board that uses the same chip to see if that fixes things. If it does, I'll be ordering a backup chip from TMod.

Mr. Novi

check the caps.if soem are blown speak to trodas.
    also,whats this thing about pc2100??

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

I don't have another NF4 board to try a bios hotflash, but I do have a DFI NF3 Ultra D. Would I be able to use that to hotflash the bios chip from the SLI-DR?
    Yes,you can hotflash, the NF2, NF3 and NF4 all use the same bios chip

The pc2100 trick was known to work in booting a non booting MB from the NF2 days,I've used it myself as well as t ski
    Last edited by playah; 01-21-2007 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    It wouldn't be so bad if I had purchased it new, but I bought it used off of the DFI-Street Trading Forum so I don't see this getting RMAd.

Mr. Novi
    Sorry to hear that your DFI died , I was under the impression that DFI boards were top quality , is this a common thing ? I ask because sometimes , rare as it may be, My DFI SLI-D , has a cold boot issue . It just spins the fans w/a black screen , I have to hit the reset botton to get it to boot . As a result of this rare issue , I bought a Jetway as a backup
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Sorry to hear that your DFI died , I was under the impression that DFI boards were top quality , is this a common thing ? I ask because sometimes , rare as it may be, My DFI SLI-D , has a cold boot issue . It just spins the fans w/a black screen , I have to hit the reset botton to get it to boot . As a result of this rare issue , I bought a Jetway as a backup
    DFI's are top quality, but they are tweaker boards not set 'em and forget 'em boards. With all of the overclocking options available it's somewhat more common to corrupt a bios that with some of the boards with fewer options in the bios (the more there is to play with, the more there is to go wrong). Your SLI-D is basically the same board as mine with the exception of mine having the 4 extra SATA ports. Cold booting was and is an issue with some of the NForce boards from all brands, but DFI's were somewhat more prone to it (along with Abit if I remember correctly). Certain AMD cpus were more prone to it as well (certain steppings). It's one of the reasons tha so many DFI users keep a spare pre-programmed bios chip or a Bios Saviour on hand for emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_
    check the caps.if soem are blown speak to trodas.
    also,whats this thing about pc2100??

The caps are fine. I did a thorough check when the first cmos clear didn't get it up and running. I also checked for burned componants, traces, etc. and couldn't find anything (luckily it was out of the case at the time).

As playah stated, it was more of a NF2 trick, but sometimes a stubborn NForce board could be coaxed into starting with a single stick of PC2100 after a failed cmos clear. Doesn't always work, but it's always worth a try. It's kinda like trying an old PCI vid card instead of an AGP or PCI-E card. Once you get it to post, you can go into the bios and fix things.

I'm gonna try a hotflash when I get home from work and I ordered a new pre-programmed bios chip from TMod. If that doesn't work I guess I'll just have to resort to the E4300 as my main rig for awhile and hold off on full time Linux SMP folding on it.

Thanks for the advice and support. that's why I like this forum so well.

Mr. Novi

Quote Originally Posted by MrNovi View Post
    Your SLI-D is basically the same board as mine with the exception of mine having the 4 extra SATA

Mr. Novi
    Realy ? Maybe DFI made a mistake with My SLI-D because I do have the 4 extra SATA ports with the extra SATA controller ( not talking the nvidia ones)
    Maybe I got a Free SLI-DR ?
    I checked My Box and it is labled corectly " SLI-D" and not the "DR"
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Must be their mistake. The -DR models have the Silicon Image SATA controllers, while the -D's do not.

Some guys get all the luck. Tried hotflashing the bios chip four different times in two different boards and still no go. Have a new pre-programed chip coming from TMod. If that doesn't fix itI'm screwed. Can't afford a to get another one.

Probably a bad chip.
    I've used my Abit NF7-S chip on my AN7 then Later on my Epox 9NDA3+. I also hot flashed one of those on the Abit with an Epox BIOS and it worked in the Epox with no problems.
    They all use PMC4 chips.

I finally figured out what was wrong with my rig or at least I hope I did.
    When the occasional bsod first started I ran SP2004 all night with no problem.
    MemTest same thing.
    Today I tried SP2004 and crashed in less than a minute.
    Small FFT's - no problem but Blend or large FFT's - bsod.
    Relaxed the timings to 10-4-4-2.5 - bsod.
    Command rate 2T - bsod.
    Finally dropped the cl to 3.0 and it been priming for 4 hours while I've been web surfing and writing this.
    When I first got this RAM (Plat Elite 4800) it ran at 303MHz.

Now I'm down to 264MHz (CPU @290 atm) and 10-4-4-3.0-1T.
    May drop in to bleedinedge soon and see about an RMA on these puppies.

Hope you get yours sorted out.

Bill
    My HTPC

ASRock 970 Extreme3
    AMD FX-4100 w/Coolermaster GeminII S cooler
    M Station HT-1100 HTPC Media Center case
    Antec 480 NeoPower PSU
    Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX
    Gigabyte GV-R467ZL 4670/1GB video card
    Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 500GB SATA hd
    Windows7 Ultimate x64 & Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (partitioned)
    Pioneer DVR-215D SATA DVD burner
    Samsung 40" 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV LN40C630

You can teach an old dog; it just takes longer.

Well the new bios chip didn't post either. DFI will only say that it's warrantied to the original purchasor. They won't tell me what other options are available to me. DFIClub is a joke. Looks like it's dead with no options making it the last DFI product I ever purchase.