Thinking of another SMP folda, how long with this bonanza last?

So im thinking of another SMP folda, maybe X2 tech and use some of the old bits i have lying around. I need a CPU and MB which can go with DDR ram (i have some sticks lying around). Any ideas on a good combo? something reliable stable and good tech. Doesnt have to OC. Price/Stability/Reliability most important on this one. Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering how long this SMP points bonanza will last? Is it gonna die at Feb 1st? Or go on past?
    'TheCore64' Intel 6600 @3.2Ghz
    'Epox64' AMD X2 @2.0 Ghz.
    'Asus64' AMD X2 @2.2 Ghz.

Exclamation Re: Thinking of another SMP folda, how long with this bonanza last?

Hello Jimbo -

No matter what even as the smp comes out of beta it is still going to get good points; IMHO.

The reasons have been expressed before. The SMP client is using the entire PC and up to 4 processors; certainly our 2 processor configuration. The extra use of equpment being dedicated to folding is a big factor in determining points for the proteins that need this type of calculation.

I have also read that both the GPU proteins and the SMP proteins are considerably more complex requiring the additional power to make progress. These calculations were not even possible a couple of years ago.

You can get a sense for this as you read up in the Stanford forums. So perhaps the points will be reduced, but they will still carry a significant value. Certainly not 396 points over three days for a 21xx; albeit I am still cranking these out on one of my processors and I know the team is doing so on many processors.

You also have the flexibility to move back and forth between Windows/XP and LINUX and can choose what to process and mix it up. With a gpu card in your rig(s) as well; you have many options to help the science and score points for yourself and the team.

Best wishes.

ASUS P5K-SE, Q6600, 2 GIG CORSAIR @2.7GHZ ATI X1900XT

Watch This Wonderful Movie about the benefits of Folding

Re: Thinking of another SMP folda, how long with this bonanza last?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
    So im thinking of another SMP folda, maybe X2 tech and use some of the old bits i have lying around. I need a CPU and MB which can go with DDR ram (i have some sticks lying around). Any ideas on a good combo? something reliable stable and good tech. Doesnt have to OC. Price/Stability/Reliability most important on this one. Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering how long this SMP points bonanza will last? Is it gonna die at Feb 1st? Or go on past?
    If you're not overclocking (much or at all) any "name brand" mobo would be fine, depends on the video cards you have but any of the Nf3 based Agp mobo's are enough, if you can still find them, or a good non SLi Nf4 board if you've got a Pci express card, any 1meg cache X2 is a bonus for the smp client, X2 4400/4800 or even a 170/175 Opteron, I'm running 2 as a comparison, an X2 4400 and a 4600 ( 2.2g 1m cache, 2.4g 512 cache) and on the same smp Wu's the 4400 is a good 10% better performer.
    Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.

Bear, if your looking for economy, that Biostar T6100-939 Open Box at Newegg for $32 + SH would be a steal. It has onboard video, takes DDR1, handles DC Optys and X2s, has SATA 2, PCI-E slot, and even overclocks fairly well. From what I understand it is a fairly straight forward Linux install. As long as you have some cables laying around for it and don't mind downloading drivers and the manual (i't more than likely the bare board). The back I/O plate looks fairly standard if you need one ( I might have a spare one that will fit it laying around).

Worth looking into at least. I snatched one as a backup (may grab two if they last long enough).
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

A Problem.

When I saw the price for the Biostar T6100-939 refurbished I immediatelty went to Newegg. They did not show anymore of these MOBO's in stock except the refurbished ones. I then went to check out the available CPU's and they did not list any of the 939 Opterons. Going another route thru Neweggs website they showed the T6100-939 MOBO's available. What is going on?

What am I to believe?

I will not buy another of these very good MOBO's unless I can acquire at least a 939 Opteron 170 to go with it.

It looks like I am being forced to consider AM2.

Paul

I think Stanford will have to give us at least 1 other beta client to test out changes and bug fixes.

So, I think beta will still run for at least a month.

I hope this 'Bonanza' will last at least till March 1st.

By the way, the Client doesn't die; it just won't restart after it has expired.
    Mine is the December version and it is still running fine.
    I was lucky I didn't have to stop it (yet) ...

Why we are Folding - Movie
    Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Nice Noorman, thats the stablilty of Linux for ya.

Im sorry to hear your news, i hope everything works out for you both,

Best Wishes,

jimbo.
    'TheCore64' Intel 6600 @3.2Ghz
    'Epox64' AMD X2 @2.0 Ghz.
    'Asus64' AMD X2 @2.2 Ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by armstpe View Post
    A Problem.

When I saw the price for the Biostar T6100-939 refurbished I immediatelty went to Newegg. They did not show anymore of these MOBO's in stock except the refurbished ones. I then went to check out the available CPU's and they did not list any of the 939 Opterons. Going another route thru Neweggs website they showed the T6100-939 MOBO's available. What is going on?

What am I to believe?

I will not buy another of these very good MOBO's unless I can acquire at least a 939 Opteron 170 to go with it.

It looks like I am being forced to consider AM2.

Paul
    The link in my post lead directly to the mobo which is in the refurb/open box section of Newegg. Unless you go out of it into the regular retail section, all you would see is refurb/return/open box items. You would need to click on the newegg banner in the upper left hand of the page to get to the regular section of the site. From there you would be able to view new items. At the moment they show several single and dual core Opterons for sale.

Mr. Novi
    R.I.P Brad (BWM). You will be missed.

bonanza lasting aside, go for it, regardless of the points values the works critical and stanford can use every cpu cycle, only smp work gets turned in by smp and no others so its still a good cause regardless of points, without smp folders they get nothing, would suck if they drop point values and everyone jumps ship and all this important work falters
    Low Speed, High Drag!
    Formerly a team 734 Folding Frog. (Might start up again soon)