Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

new kid in town ? Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1Gaming Soundcard

saw this card on new egg
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829153001

Looks impressive what do you guys think ? I havent seen any real serious reviews of the card , just a few sites have reviews of the card . Anyone know what chip this card uses ?
    Last edited by brothergc; 01-23-2007 at 06:07 AM.
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

Re: new kid in town ? Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1Gaming Soundcard

Sorry to say, that card is nothing more than a customized CMEDIA 8788 based soundcard. This was revealed in a review of this card I read awhile back, in which the reviewer noted that the card came up as a CMEDIA 8788 soundcard, when he tried installing the CMEDIA 8788 reference drivers.

What Razer is doing, is nothing more, nothing less than customizing their 8788 based soundcard, and trying to pass off CMEDIA's technology as their own.
    Last edited by Nightowl224; 01-23-2007 at 11:52 AM.

yep, just a re-branded version of an existing card.

with no hardware renderer, its game performance is going to pale in comparison to an audigy2. Forget about the Xfi.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

I've read many reviews and especially customers reviews and over 90% of those who have an X-Fi say it blows it away. I haven't found 1 professional review out of 10 who said this card was anything short of amazing, and not 1 in 30 user reviews that would even hint it. Many have shelved their X-Fi, and even more their audigy. Some say it totally blows it away, some say the razer just has clearer sound but their about the same lvl; still, in nearly all cases, razer wins over the X-Fi, and for gamers, the difference is a lot greater. The 3d positioning of the razer is unmatched, many say, and creative now ha some serious competition.

Do what you want, but mine is arriving this week along with the HP-1 headset.

I prefer my Montego DDL over the X-Fi any day, and if I had the money right now, I would be getting this or one of the other 8788 based soundcards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
    I've read many reviews and especially customers reviews and over 90% of those who have an X-Fi say it blows it away. I haven't found 1 professional review out of 10 who said this card was anything short of amazing, and not 1 in 30 user reviews that would even hint it. Many have shelved their X-Fi, and even more their audigy. Some say it totally blows it away, some say the razer just has clearer sound but their about the same lvl; still, in nearly all cases, razer wins over the X-Fi, and for gamers, the difference is a lot greater. The 3d positioning of the razer is unmatched, many say, and creative now ha some serious competition.

there's a lot of holes in that. Don't forget user reviews are often a bunch of hogwash. Some are even WRITTEN by the manufacturer.

The 3D positioning cannot be better than the Xfi as this card TOTALLY LACKS ANY HARDWARE POSITIONING ENGINE. A basic motherboard codec will match the positioning. Sound quality, maybe not. I'm sure it sounds great, but when I hear "software engine" and "unmatched positioning" I'm rightly skeptical.

And, who says the 3D positioning is unmatched? "User" reviews?

I'm sure this is a great card, don't get me wrong. I'm sure it may have better DACs than Xfi (but even Xfi has some pretty good ones), but positioning I can't believe. The Dolby Live is a great feature, but contrary to newb belief, the Dolby does not contribute in any way in setting up positioning effects in a game. Dolby is merely a transmission standard.
    Last edited by steven975; 01-25-2007 at 12:43 AM.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case

Sounds like what we all need is a reliable review of the card . It would be nice if PC Prespective would do a review of this card with the XFI as something to compare it to .
    ( Ryan you listing ? hint , hint )

so has anyone bought one of these cards yet ? If So , please post your thoughts/opinions
    Last edited by brothergc; 02-05-2007 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaternityTest View Post
    Even though X-Meridian chip is the same chip that Razer uses, I would still want to see a review compared to other cards like X-fi and Meridian. It seems that Razer put alot of work into making this card perform on par with Audigy 2. I would agree with Steven that it is not on par with X-fi but its close (I am soley basing this on reviews and not on experience or purchase). This card is supposed to be used exclusively for gaming and not all around sound card like X-Meridian. Hardocp, if you are interested, has a long post of X-Meridan comparing it to X-fi in the Audio Forum. You cant miss it, its like up to 30 pages long now. It would not surprise me that the reason this card is not compared to X-fi is because Creative pushing it not to be compared. I am not saying this is for sure but you just don't see this card or many cards compared to Creative X-fi. TechReport is the first site that I have seen that compares X-Meridian to X-Fi in a review. Also, X-Meridian and X-Fi are compare at Hardocp in the forums. Why are so few site comparing cards to X-fi?

Kmat
    [COLOR=Blue][FONT=Arial]Truth comes into being when the mind discovers its fallibility. When it discovers what it is capable of and what it isnt.
    J. Krishnamurti

The perfect way is only for those who pick and choose. Do not like, do not dislike; all will then be clear. Make a hairbreadth difference and heaven and earth are set apart; if you want the truth to stand clear before you, never be for or against. The struggle between "for" and "against" is the mind's worst disease. Zen

Quote Originally Posted by steven975 View Post
    I'm sure this is a great card, don't get me wrong. I'm sure it may have better DACs than Xfi (but even Xfi has some pretty good ones), but positioning I can't believe.
    Sound is pretty subjective. On paper, the AKM AK4396 DAC found on the Razer is rated at a 120dB SNR. The Cirrus Logic CS4398 on the Elite Pro is also rated at 120dB, despite the 116dB Creative says. The CS4398 is the same DAC found on the E-MU 1212M, which is rated at 120dB. That particular DAC is also found on the ProTools hardware interface. They are both great DACs, but have different sound signatures. The CS4398 has a nice warm sound with excellent separation, and the highs have a very nice roll-off to them. Im not sure how the AKM sounds, but being as it is one of the newer high-end DACs around, it should have a very good sound to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    PCPer CAN'T have a dollar value attached. For those of us, PcPer is worthless!

Quote Originally Posted by Kmat View Post
    It would not surprise me that the reason this card is not compared to X-fi is because Creative pushing it not to be compared. I am not saying this is for sure but you just don't see this card or many cards compared to Creative X-fi. TechReport is the first site that I have seen that compares X-Meridian to X-Fi in a review. Also, X-Meridian and X-Fi are compare at Hardocp in the forums. Why are so few site comparing cards to X-fi?

Kmat
    Personaly , I would love to see such a review too . I believe Creative has ruled the roost way too long and needs a company to kick its creative butt by putting out a better card . Afer all , competion is a good thing .

Quote Originally Posted by brothergc View Post
    Personaly , I would love to see such a review too . I believe Creative has ruled the roost way too long and needs a company to kick its creative butt by putting out a better card . Afer all , competion is a good thing .
    Yeah, last good competition was Hercules Fortissimo II/III series, that was half decade ago.

so does anyone have one of these cards ? If so please post your opinions/review of the card

Quote Originally Posted by Dekar View Post

Sounds like we got hit by a drive-by marketing firm...