Vista Home Premium or Ultimate.

OK I was looking through www.ebuyer.com today and I see that Vista is now for sale. I'm going for an OEM version but can't decide between Home Premium and Ultimate. I'll really only be using it for gaming, web browsing, watching DVD's and listening to lots of music. Can anyone point out the main difference's between the two versions so I can decide if it's worth paying extra.

I also have a wireless home network, with this computer being the host. Will it still be pretty much the same setting up shared folders, and will the other PC's (running XP) be able to find the network OK?

Thank you for your time.

Re: Vista Home Premium or Ultimate.

http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Thanks BIGDADDY51. Looks like its going to be Home Premium.

Ive bought Ultimate x64 for myself and Business x64 for my dad.... already got it yesterday

I bought x86. Just figured there'd be less problems with 32bit since I do quite a bit of gaming. Maybe I'm wrong. Is there much performance difference between the x86 and x64?

I just ordered Ultimate x64 as well. Not here yet. Did you do a fresh install mjt67?
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Would just like to note that if you buy Vista, your license key will work for the corresponding version (Home Premium, Ultimate, etc) in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavours. Some versions (like Ultimate) ship with both versions and some (like Home Premium) don't. Say you buy either 64-bit or 32-bit, you can order a copy of the other one from MS for just the cost of shipping. Handy if you bought one version and decide that you'd like to try/use the other. The catch is that you can only use one at a time.

That's brilliant! So basically if I want to change to Home Premium x64 all I have to do is get in contact with them?

Yep. But don't forget the postage costs. I suggest you phone MS in your area to confirm. It's available for download in some areas, so that may save you postage costs too.

I thought the big deal was that Vista would be a 64bit OS. Apparently from what I have read here in the forum 32bit would be the better option for drivers, software,etc?

My system would take 64 bit but I guess I need to reask the question - is 64 bit worth it in terms of operating speed, etc?

Thanks and good luck to those upgrading. I used the RC1 beta on my Dell XPS laptop and most everything worked finally when the drivers came out.

I have read to upgrade (clean install of course!) with nothing but the basics on - no printers, scanners, etc -just dvd and hard drives and then add the rest after the initial install - moderator - would you agree?
    Coolermaster Comos S
    Asus Striker II Formula 780i SLI Chipset
    (Quad-Core)Intel Core2 Extreme QX9650 @ 3.90GHz
    Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System
    Dell UltraSharp 3007WFP-HC
    Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP-HC
    Thermaltake ToughPower 1,200 Watt Power Supply
    8GB (4X2GB) Mushkin XP2-6400/800 DDR2
    2 X EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GX2 9800 SLI
    G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120 SSD
    WD 300GB VelociRaptor
    2 X 750GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM 16MB CACHE HD
    1XHitachi 1TB SATA II
    2 X LiteOn LH-20A1H DVD-RW’s
    Creative Labs X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Logitech Z-5500's
    Headroom Headphone Amp
    Sennheiser 650HD Headset

Quote Originally Posted by rpbrown View Post
    I thought the big deal was that Vista would be a 64bit OS. Apparently from what I have read here in the forum 32bit would be the better option for drivers, software,etc?

My system would take 64 bit but I guess I need to reask the question - is 64 bit worth it in terms of operating speed, etc?
    I've seen that Vista 64-bit can handle memory much better than 32-bit but I've also heard the opposite in terms of some applications (though I haven't seen evidence of the latter). The catch is driver support and software support. Most software manufacturers (including drivers) aren't behind the 64-bit version. At this stage it's probably a bit like trying to use XP 64-bit. Have a look around to see if the drivers you need and the apps you want will work on 64-bit. Maybe you'll get lucky. I think most people will recommend 32-bit.

I have read to upgrade (clean install of course!) with nothing but the basics on - no printers, scanners, etc -just dvd and hard drives and then add the rest after the initial install - moderator - would you agree?
    Installing without peripherals is always the safe option. I agree with you. It's even worthwhile unplugging other hard drives to eliminate the possibility of accidentally overwriting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Installing without peripherals is always the safe option. I agree with you. It's even worthwhile unplugging other hard drives to eliminate the possibility of accidentally overwriting them.
    Good point, I'll have to try to remember that!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Finally got Vista Home Premium. I'm glad to say that it is definitely more stable and faster than the 5744 beta I tried, Tho I still need a few driver's. For one, my XFX 7600GT is running the fan at full speed, even with the driver from nVidia's website [97.46 as of 30 Jan 07]. As well, AVG Free seems to have a bit of a problem or conflict when booting at start up, but works fine when ordered to open from the start menu. Oh and BF2142 works fine, long as it is run as administrator or punkbuster will keep kicking you from servers.