Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Making the Leap

Re: Making the Leap

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    The biggest problem with that limitation is when you're trying to download a DVD ISO image of your favorite distro, as they can be up to 4.1GB (aka Knoppix 5 DVD).
    Thats true, I hadnt thought about that one. For something like that thou hopefully you have the room to download it into your home folder and you can just delete it after burning it. I belive EXT3 goes past 4GB but im not 100% sure.
    Motherboard: Asus M3A78
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 Brisbane
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR2 800
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB SSD
    HDD2: Western Digital 500GB
    VDD: ECS GeForce GT 520
    PSU: PC Power and Cooling 500 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Stormy View Post
    ...I belive EXT3 goes past 4GB but im not 100% sure.
    Four terabytes : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext2#File_system_limits

wow 4TB! Thats crazy, we dont even have disks that big yet. Im sure it wont be long thou.

I'm just now starting to see why people really like Ubuntu....I'm still using command line to do everything but there are all these menu driven ways to do stuff now.

CPU-Z My Heat
    Request Granted. Safe Passage Guaranteed via JimZ

I find myself using the terminal if I know the name of the package I want, but if I dont, the package manager is really good for installing things.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Swords View Post
    I'm just now starting to see why people really like Ubuntu....I'm still using command line to do everything but there are all these menu driven ways to do stuff now.
    I like using the command line better, if I know what commands to issue. The GUI ways just don't always seem to be as quick, or as complete as using the command line.... But it is easier for new users than ever before....

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4
    (AKA Idahopackersfan2, Woody, Woody1&2)

I like the command like for installing/updating/removing stuff. Other then that the only thing I use it for is opening nautilus/gedit as root and changing the station on IVTV.

I like the command line, but the way I see it, this is 2007 not 1987. You shouldn't be opening a command line for that many reasons anymore.

I might have to disagree with you there. Being 'forced' to use a command line in 2007, that would be silly. If you're suggesting that the GUI is going to be faster or more efficient than a command line....especially in a *nix product - the date doesn't have much to do with it.

As with everything else in Linux...it should be about choice. The gui tools and 'easy' part should be improving, but shells are still the fast way to get things done.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Stormy View Post
    I like the command line, but the way I see it, this is 2007 not 1987. You shouldn't be opening a command line for that many reasons anymore.
    Sager NP8150, Radeon HD6990m, 8Gb/256G Crucial M4 SSD/500Gb, I7-2760qm

The thing I've always found with GUI tools vs the command line is that the GUI tools give you access to the most commonly used features, but the command line gives you complete control.

Take setting up something like Samba for example. The GUI config tools lets you make basic settings, but there's no way any GUI tool could possibly give you access to ALL the possible settings, hence when you want to do something a little tricky, you roll your sleeves up and dig around in the config files. For me, it's the perfect balance - easy to get up and running via the GUI tools, but you still have the ultimate in configurability when you need it

~ Want to try Linux - check out the PC Perspective Linux FAQ ~
    ~ Please take some time to read the Forum Rules ~
    ~ Feed the spamb0tz, don't mail me here: B7Trz4568254@nirvana.admins.ws ~

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider View Post
    The thing I've always found with GUI tools vs the command line is that the GUI tools give you access to the most commonly used features, but the command line gives you complete control.

Take setting up something like Samba for example. The GUI config tools lets you make basic settings, but there's no way any GUI tool could possibly give you access to ALL the possible settings, hence when you want to do something a little tricky, you roll your sleeves up and dig around in the config files. For me, it's the perfect balance - easy to get up and running via the GUI tools, but you still have the ultimate in configurability when you need it
    The only GUI I know of that does offer all of the options of using a command line, would be using SWAT to set up Samba. Swat seems to be pretty complete.

Well said Hubris, Linux is about choice. If you want to do things the easy way, you can always fall back to the GUI..... If you want more control, check out the command line arguments.....

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4
    (AKA Idahopackersfan2, Woody, Woody1&2)