Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Vista - Off Topic Version

Who running it so far? What do you like and dislike? What is your overall rating?

What are your impressions of this so far?

I'm seriously considering buying a new computer and getting Vista Ultimate for it ... but I may wait. Just depends.

Re: Vista - Off Topic Version

how is everyone getting vista?

is it even legal??

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

I ran the RC a couple months back and it LOOKS neat, but other than that I really didn't see any reason to upgrade. And it will tax your system pretty good. It may be better now, but my opinion is it's cool, but not worth the money for the upgrade yet.
    EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard
    Intel Q9300
    EVGA Geforce GTX260
    750GB Hitachi SATA HD
    250 GB Maxtor Ultra 16 SATA HD
    200 GB Western Digital SE PATA HD
    Samsung DVDRW
    Antec 850w PSU
    Antec P160 Case

Still a lot of hardware and software that is not Vista ready. But If you've got a beefy 2nd system or dual boot and want to spend the $$$ then go for it. I was running the RC but only dedicated a 20GB drive for it in dual boot. Not nearly enough space to install many apps but it was nice.. Wont go Vista until everything I use is supported and they can prove that my games will run smooth.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

Being a small systems builder, I have 5 or6 machines available to me,so I have 2 dedicated Vista PCs. I am presently running Vista RC2 5744 on both of them.I like a lot of stuff, the tabbed browsing, the ability to see whats on a page, by just mousing over it in the tool bar,Yes even the gadget bar. The ability to view every open page, and choose which one to pull up (aero only) The minor annoyances are, the pop ups, requring you to grant permission for just about everything you do, Finding out where they stuck everything,the control panels a little different. I also like Vistas ability to multi task, it seems to make use of resources much more efficiently.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride View Post
    how is everyone getting vista?

is it even legal??
    Most of us were beta testers,and got free copies to evaluate,that are good until June 2007. OEM copies just became available at Newegg. The official launch is the 30th. It takes a pretty big pc in order to run Vista 1 gig of ram at least a 40 gb harddrive and a pretty good cpu, a video card with at least 256mbs of ram onboard,if you want to use AERO .etc. see www.microsoft.com/vista for more details. Vista will run on smaller pc's but without AERO.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Do current and older games work with vista yet? Or do the game manufacturers have to put out patches, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by 'K- View Post
    Who running it so far? What do you like and dislike? What is your overall rating?

What are your impressions of this so far?

I'm seriously considering buying a new computer and getting Vista Ultimate for it ... but I may wait. Just depends.
    I would definitely get Vista if you are gonna go for a new pc, UNLESS you are a hard gamer. In that case, I would buy a copy of XP PRO ,for now ,and upgrade later on, as it's gonna take a while for the games to get compatible with Vista. DX10 cards are super expensive right now, and theres not much out there that really NEEDS it right now. If you don't about games, or older software, Just start fresh with Vista, and new software apps.www.microsoft.com/vista has specs

Quote Originally Posted by COMPn00b09 View Post
    Do current and older games work with vista yet? Or do the game manufacturers have to put out patches, or what?
    Good video card drivers seem to be MOST of the problem, and there are various posts out there, that say most of thier games still run better on PRO.You can go to MS website and download a copy of Vista upgrade advisor and see if your hardware will do the job. Looking at your system specs, you shouldn't have to much of a problem, but there have been posts that say Vista doesn't like SLI.

I like the appearance of it. I'm getting used to the GUI (Windows). It looks good, better than XP. If I use the right software and games on it its stable. I'll give it a 7.5 out of 10. My performance rating is 4.9.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51 View Post
    I would definitely get Vista if you are gonna go for a new pc, UNLESS you are a hard gamer. In that case, I would buy a copy of XP PRO ,for now ,and upgrade later on, as it's gonna take a while for the games to get compatible with Vista. DX10 cards are super expensive right now, and theres not much out there that really NEEDS it right now. If you don't about games, or older software, Just start fresh with Vista, and new software apps.www.microsoft.com/vista has specs
    Thx. Your sig was actually the inspiration for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDADDY51 View Post
    Good video card drivers seem to be MOST of the problem, and there are various posts out there, that say most of thier games still run better on PRO.You can go to MS website and download a copy of Vista upgrade advisor and see if your hardware will do the job. Looking at your system specs, you shouldn't have to much of a problem, but there have been posts that say Vista doesn't like SLI.

I don't really plan on upgrading to it just yet, just wondering how it goes over game wise at release. I definitely plan on doing an upgrade to dx10 card and ddr2 ram before making the switch to vista.

Quote Originally Posted by 'K- View Post
    Wait for Service Pack II... or buy a Mac & be done w/ all of this M$ BS
    p.s. W2K-pro (I.M.H.O.) is the most stable, but never again M$

Wait! Don't buy Windows Vista!
    Microsoft's new OS is the best Windows ever. But don't buy it!

http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9009124
    Computer World Jan. 25, 2007 by Mike Elgan

Unless you've recently emerged from a coma, you know the consumer versions of Microsoft's new Vista operating system ship Tuesday. This column is not a review of Windows Vista. ... This article is for those of you who are about to download or purchase Windows Vista and install it on a PC. I'm here to talk you out of it. ...Here's why.
    • 1. Vista is incomplete

Microsoft is already planning its first service pack .... Vista probably won't be truly ready for prime time until that first service pack version, possibly later this year.

The hardware and software companies that make compatible products for Vista aren't all ready for the new OS. ... Most importantly, not all video and sound card companies are ready.

• 2. Vista is expensive

Microsoft offers three versions of Vista to home users in the U.S. ...

• 3. Vista wants a new PC

To get full value from Vista, you're probably going to want to buy a new, Vista-optimized PC. Many of the benefits of Vista require hardware your current PC doesn't have.

• 4. Vista is time-consuming

Installing any new operating system is time-consuming. You have to configure everything, load your data, install your applications and get your peripherals working. Then, in the case of Vista, you have to figure out where Microsoft buried all the options, menus and features ....

• 5. Windows XP isn't obsolete

Vista ... doesn't really "solve" any existing problem. Windows XP ... is a solid, well-understood and highly functional operating system. ... Microsoft itself has committed to at least seven more years of XP support, and even plans a Service Pack 3 next year.

• 6. Vista may be the best reason yet to buy a Mac
    Last edited by uncleel; 01-27-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    BBC: Undercover UK Mosque
    Part 1Part 2
    Part 3Part 4
    Part 5Part 6

lol im not getting a Mac