Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clean installs of Vista with Upgrade Versions

I think we were talking about this in another thread, but I thought we could make better sense of it here.

So, I read this at the MS.com site: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/930985/en-us

Says you have to have a valid XP SP2 install in order to use the upgrade discs of Home Premium and below. It doesn't say you DON'T have to have a valide XP SP2 install to use the upgrade disc on Vista Ultimate...but is this just another ommission or do Ultimate users get this benefit as well?

This DailyTech article mentions this issue but doesn't specify anything about versions... http://www.dailytech.com/No+More+Cle...rticle5887.htm
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: Clean installs of Vista with Upgrade Versions

So, does anyone have better info on this than me?
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

I've read a ton of posts concerning this issue over at the OEM website, and just about every one confirms the no clean install, HOWEVER, it didn't specifically state that ultimate wouldn't do a clean install either. Ultimate,FULL VERSION, either oem or retail, will allow you to choose upgrade if you have a BETA version of Vista running, something that earlier was stated that couldn't be done.The UPGRADE Ultimate disc just might be different, as it could be possible to upgrade a different version of Vista with it. At this point, and with what you found with your tests, I would say a full oem version is the best way to go. MS also stated that they are extending support for XP, so that valdation somewhere down the road could still be done on your copy of XP. As for downgrading back to your old copy of whatever, in my case MCE2005, it could be done with the phone call.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Vista Upgrade Matrix

Keep in mind that the conditions also vary between a boxed Upgrade and an upgrade through the online tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Vista Upgrade Matrix

Keep in mind that the conditions also vary between a boxed Upgrade and an upgrade through the online tool.
    Thanks for the link, but unless I am missing it, does it answer my question?

I know you can upgrade to Vista with ANY XP, but I am just wondering if you can use an upgrade Vista Ultimate disc on a blank hard drive and install it without having to have a full XP install already on the drive...

The MS page says you CAN NOT do that with Home Premium and below...but doesn't mention Ultimate!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

If you view Vistas EULA, you'll see that the rules for Vista business and Ultimate are different than for the other versions.Jan 30th will bring the selling of Vista downloads from the MS Marketplace.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Thanks for the link, but unless I am missing it, does it answer my question?

I know you can upgrade to Vista with ANY XP, but I am just wondering if you can use an upgrade Vista Ultimate disc on a blank hard drive and install it without having to have a full XP install already on the drive...

The MS page says you CAN NOT do that with Home Premium and below...but doesn't mention Ultimate!
    According to that matrix, there's an "In-place installation option available" - MS's way of saying you should have XP preinstalled. I'll look into it.

Well I just called MS - the rep told me that preinstallation is "not actually a requirement" for any version of Vista. You can do a clean install but it will ask for the XP disc as verification. Same as XP.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 01-29-2007 at 11:03 PM.

That's odd, because every where else is being reported that the Vista install will NOT do that...??
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

OK called them again. This time the guy said he tried booting with the Vista Home Premium and Ultimate Upgrade discs and said that both versions asked for XP to be preinstalled.

Okay, well suck to that.

But thanks for bugging him for us!

Looks like no getting around the full version for best / quickest experience for enthusiasts...
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

No worries. As usual, gotta point out that the info still may not be accurate. The guy said he tried it with Ultimate, but for me much of it is "seeing is believing". Though I would be surprised if it didn't require XP preinstalled.

Here's a link with some helpful info about Vista http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_vista A 64 Version of Vista upgrade WILL do a clean istall from the disc, so sayeth MS.
    Last edited by BIGDADDY51; 01-30-2007 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Okay, well suck to that.

But thanks for bugging him for us!

Looks like no getting around the full version for best / quickest experience for enthusiasts...
    lots of them over at MS recomend doing an image after the first time of installing your upgrade, for later use. Using 2000 instead of XP will let you do a clean install , but 2000 is stashed in a seperate folder just like XP, and can be deleted later. I happen to have 3 2000 discs, and 1 is brand new

I still think oem is the best way to go, and it will be most likely business as usual. One reason for MS changing the rules, was the fact they wanted to stop the abuse of VLK editions of XP from being used for the upgrade Vista discs. By making it so XP needed to be activated, all those pirate VLK images that are out there are SOL, when it comes to an upgrade. It's either stay put, or buy new oem software. Also NEW VLK Vista is also going to have to be activated,to further reduce piracy of Corp software.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Well I just called MS - the rep told me that preinstallation is "not actually a requirement" for any version of Vista. You can do a clean install but it will ask for the XP disc as verification. Same as XP.
    This is how it's been with all 'Upgrade' versions since W95 and I wonder why they'd actually change it?
    This would mean it will take twice the time to do a 'clean' install (that would actually only be 'semi-clean' anyway... ), since' you'd first have to install XP (with SP2) and then install the upgrade version of Vista (which naturally requires a set of different drivers to make it even 'easier')...