Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Windows Vista gaming performance

Hey all, give this article I just published a read and leave me your comments and/or questions!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?typ...&aid=354&pid=2
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Re: Windows Vista gaming performance

I read through your article, and I agree with your points. TBH, just so I can break / fix it, I'm going to load a dual-boot of Vista with my XP sometime in the future. Here's something interesting that I found out at my office. As we know, Vista has that little thing where you can "rate and improve your computer's performance". Well when I originally installed Vista, I was only using the on-board Intel 945 chipset video display with the latest Intel Vista drivers. After running the Rating utility, I was given a score of 3.0. Since I run Dual Monitors, I threw in a Geforce 6200 256MB video adapter, and installed Nvidia's video drivers and re-ran the performance test again and my score actually lowered. So, according to Microsoft my on-board video card is going to give me a BETTER Windows Vista experience... ?????? OOOOoOoooookay...
    Specs:
    Thermaltake A71, ASUS Sabertooth X79, Intel i7 3820 @ 4.5Ghz, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme, 2 x 1TB 850-EVO SSD, eVGA 980ti SC+, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 @ 1866 (Quad Channel), PC Power & Cooling 850 Modular PS.

Experience:
    NIOP, DCUCD, CCNA, CXFF, CSE, VTSP 4, MCP, A+

Good article Ryan. I am also a little disappointed with nVidia and the driver for Windows Vista. I'm and currently running driver 100.54, for my XFX 7600GT. It is really annoying because the fans are running at full speed, which is pretty loud. Strangely I didn't have this problem in beta 5472. I understand that they aren't finished developing the driver yet but it would be nice to see this issue fixed sometime soon.

The funny thing is that I moved away from ATI because I didn't like the Catalyst Control Centre, but according to your article they seem to have sorted it out. At least they got their act together, hopefully nVidia will do the same.

Vista vs XP. My vista performance is quite a bit slower. No figures, but things slow down a bit in vista.

Nice article, any chance we can get a 32bit vs 64bit article? If there isn't THAT big of a hit going 64bit, I might just do that and never look back. I hate reinstalling OS's. The only idea I can get to compare is the XP32 v XP64 right now, but I'm thinking that isn't the best of comparisons (and all the reviews of theese are several driver revisions old)

I am considering the x64 OEM version however there seems to be a lack of signed WHQL drivers therefore I cannot buy it.

The 32 bit version is more useful to me at the moment potentially because the drivers I value the most to use in Vista are the Creative sound drivers and the NVIDIA 8800 drivers and dont have to be signed to work.

I'm still undecided on if the x64 is worth using for gaming and if the drivers are functional or reliable enough to use.

Quick question for you Ryan:

Did you try running tests at 1280 or 1600? Did the numbers correlate to the 2048 or 2560 resolutions?

I did run 1600x1200 -- those results are in the full article -- did you just read the summary one?

As for 64-bit, that is something we are going to work on but drivers for it are even further behind on both camps.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

I played with vista beta a while back and noticed it used a ton of memory just for the os. Does it still and is that affecting game perfromance? The reason I ask is I know HL2 loves memory. If I run with one gig frames are jerky and if I run 2 gig is it smooth in XP. Will this cause us to need more memory to run games well in vista?

Example: vista is using 1 gig for os load halflife and run out of memory at 2 gig get jerky performance. Solution upgrade to 3 gig

you guys understand what I am trying to say? haha

Sure, I get it, but its hard to say how much all of Vista is using because its broken up into so many modules.

But we were using 2GB in these tests anyway; it SHOULD be more than enough for optimal gaming!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

of all the information I gathered, Vista, 64 bit was recommended by MS for gaming, however people online disagree with what MS says

In general, the 64-bit drivers are worse than the 32-bits ones, so yeah, my guess is the results would the same if not worse for now.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective

hi ryan

do check your PM

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I did run 1600x1200 -- those results are in the full article -- did you just read the summary one?
    Yeah, I just read the summary. My fault - checking out the full review now.