Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Windows Vista Family Discount offer now available!

I know a few of people might be interested in this, if you want three copies of Windows Vista (one Ultimate and two Premiums) this is probably the cheapest way to get it LEGALLY. All you have to do is get an upgrade copy of Windows Vista Ultimate for $259 and you can then get two licenses of Vista Premium for $49 each for a total of $357. Here is a link to the family offer page for more information and for purchasing the two $49 licenses, the sites a little bogged down now probably due to a lot of people getting their additional licenses but hopefully it will slow down later on:

http://www.windowsvista.com/familyoffer

Also FYI, the Vista Ultimate retail packages contain both the 32bit and the 64bit versions of all of the Vista versions on two disks. As for doing a clean install from within windows XP that is an option but from what I've read in the booklet that came with the software you can start your computer up from the disk and do a clean install like that as well as long as you have a Windows disk to swap out for verification - I haven't tried that out yet but once I get off of work I will try that on my main computer. That's all I've learned so far from tinkering,
    Main Rig
    WXP Pro * A7N8X-D Rev. 2.0 (1007 Bios) * AXP 2500+ (AQUCA 0307) @ 2.27ghz w/SLK800-Vantec Tornado 80mm Combo * Samsung 512MBx2 3200 DDR * ATI Radeon 9800 PRO * AverTV Studio PCI * Memorex 16X DVDROM, Sony DRU-500a * 2 WD 80Gb SE HD's * SunBeam Acrylic Case w/Aspire Turbo 520W Triple Fan PS

Heat: Aquarianperry
    EBay Feedback

Re: Windows Vista Family Discount offer now available!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarianperry View Post
    I know a few of people might be interested in this, if you want three copies of Windows Vista (one Ultimate and two Premiums) this is probably the cheapest way to get it LEGALLY. All you have to do is get an upgrade copy of Windows Vista Ultimate for $259 and you can then get two licenses of Vista Premium for $49 each for a total of $357. Here is a link to the family offer page for more information and for purchasing the two $49 licenses, the sites a little bogged down now probably due to a lot of people getting their additional licenses but hopefully it will slow down later on:

http://www.windowsvista.com/familyoffer

Also FYI, the Vista Ultimate retail packages contain both the 32bit and the 64bit versions of all of the Vista versions on two disks. As for doing a clean install from within windows XP that is an option but from what I've read in the booklet that came with the software you can start your computer up from the disk and do a clean install like that as well as long as you have a Windows disk to swap out for verification - I haven't tried that out yet but once I get off of work I will try that on my main computer. That's all I've learned so far from tinkering,
    This may answer the question as to wether the Ultimate upgrade disc is different from other upgrade discs, as MS said that you needed xp installed and activated, in order to use the upgrade. If you can boot off the Ultimate disc, and do a clean install WITHOUT a previous OS, it would DEFINITELY be different
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

If you could verify this that would be spectacular!!
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Downloading Vista is very different than regular downloads. I HIGHLY suggest you visit the install page and read it thoroughly, BEFORE you EVEN think of downloading Vista.
    http://forums.pcper.com/trading.php TRADING RULEZ!! BIGDADDY51 I've joined the QUAD CROWD! ASUS M3A78 & a 9850

You don't have to download any Vista software for the Family Discount, MS gives you the licenses and you use your Ultimate disks to install the product.

I'm about to take the plunge and see if the Ultimate install will work from booting up on the DVD to do a clean install, wish me luck I'll report back if it works.
    Main Rig
    WXP Pro * A7N8X-D Rev. 2.0 (1007 Bios) * AXP 2500+ (AQUCA 0307) @ 2.27ghz w/SLK800-Vantec Tornado 80mm Combo * Samsung 512MBx2 3200 DDR * ATI Radeon 9800 PRO * AverTV Studio PCI * Memorex 16X DVDROM, Sony DRU-500a * 2 WD 80Gb SE HD's * SunBeam Acrylic Case w/Aspire Turbo 520W Triple Fan PS

EBay Feedback

OH well, that didn't work so I'm just doing a clean install of Vista on my computer and wiping out the XP that was on it, also Microsoft won't let you get those two other copies of Vista until the Ultimate license is activated - I tried and it kept giving me errors on the screen so I just called them up and asked them what the problem was and the rep told me the Ultimate has to be activated for it to work so I'll try again after I activate it.
    Main Rig

EBay Feedback

^^that just seems absurd to me. We talked about this in the other thread. What on earth are they thinking that this must go first before b and c can happen?
    All the stuff is on the disc. Isolated.
    Sheesh.
    They've built in a conditional thats pretty pointless.

If the deal is :

Install A then get b and c?

Say so. Dont fish people in with "buy" A and get b and c for cheap....when there is a hidden condition.
    "When" and order of install should mean nada.

Here buy this car. Ill throw in the radio and the subwoofer if you buy the package.
    But you cant use them until you drive the car.
    Hey genius. Maybe Im not driving this week. I have a broken leg. But I best be hearing the radio and subwoofer.

In my head...the options...the second and third installs should have "distinct" value.
    Not contingent/conditional value....beyond the stated deal.

Then again? Isnt Ultimate easily transplanted to a new rig?
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 01-31-2007 at 12:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    ^^that just seems absurd to me. We talked about this in the other thread. What on earth are they thinking that this must go first before b and c can happen?
    All the stuff is on the disc. Isolated.
    Sheesh.
    They've built in a conditional thats pretty pointless.

If the deal is :

Install A then get b and c?

Say so. Dont fish people in with "buy" A and get b and c for cheap....when there is a hidden condition.
    "When" and order of install should mean nada.

Here buy this car. Ill throw in the radio and the subwoofer if you buy the package.
    But you cant use them until you drive the car.
    Hey genius. Maybe Im not driving this week. I have a broken leg. But I best be hearing the radio and subwoofer.
    Just another salvo in the useless war on pirates. All they are REALLY doing is making it harder for honest people to use thier product. The Free upgrade promo is the BIGGEST joke they EVER did, with that useless 10 cent website, that is STILL giving some people problems. Latest issue, is the site won't accept ANY credit card. Poor choice of a third party business. My order still stands at coa verified. The Vista OS hasn't been out 2 days ,and already somebody figured out where the holes are, in thier $10,000,000 security improvement. I'll be watching, and IF I ever get MY upgrade, I won't be in any hurry to install it.WORST issue, is you can't get a straight answer, even out of the MS techs!

^^You know. Like a serious pirate is gonna say..."Oh Ill do the package plan and beat em out of two copies...oooh I just won big"
    The serious pirate already is in his 3rd distribution.
    He doesnt need anything from Best Buy. An he sure as hell isnt gonna fork over 300 for some family plan.

AquarianPerry, did you try this trick before?

Okay guys, I did some more research and here is what I am seeing with using an upgrade copy of Vista (any version including Ultimate) to do an install on a blank hard drive.

1. Install Vista, but when it asks you for a key, don't give it one
    2. Finish the install to get to a desktop - but you can't activate the OS yet, it will say something about "this copy is for upgrades only"
    3. Run the upgrade disc from your Vista desktop
    4. This time, give it your upgrade key and it should work just fine
    5. Activate the new OS and you should be off and running

So, with an upgrade disc, it looks like you CAN install it on a blank hard drive, but the work around is installing it twice.
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--

Have you purchased a retail boxed product of Windows Vista Ultimate for a PC in your home?
    Soooo, not available from OEM Ultimate??
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Hey Ryan, that's what I did, the Vista install X2 worked flawlessly after I decided not to go and mess up my retail Pro License, I might need that again if this doesn't work out. The install went smoothly and activation passed with the Vista 2X install method, now that the install's all done things are loking good, albeit ATI needs to get their stuff together, their Vista driver Cat. package isn't working with my 9800pro so I'm just using the microsoft 9800pro version, surprisingly Vista discovered 90% of my devices (all except the nforce2 Audio and nforce 3com ethernet driver) but fortunately the XP driver installs that I had backed up are working with Vista so that's a good thing seeing that most of the hardware I'm dealing with is 4+ years old. The old rig is running rather pleasantly with the new OS no sluggishness whatsoever so far knock on wood. If this can last until spring when I give this machine an overhaul I'll be happy as long as I can reactivate easily after rebuilding this machine.

Now that that's all done, time to go back to the family discount page and get my two premium licenses for my laptops and do this all over again, since they already have dedicated MCE 2005 OS's (meaning their install disks only work with their laptops) I'll just do a clean install from within MCE to upgrade them and take the loss of the stock MCE 2005 OS's, gotta love it.
    Main Rig

EBay Feedback

Hey Ryan, that's what I did, the Vista install X2 worked flawlessly after I decided not to go and mess up my retail Pro License, I might need that again if this doesn't work out. The install went smoothly and activation passed with the Vista 2X install method, now that the install's all done things are loking good, albeit ATI needs to get their stuff together, their Vista driver Cat. package isn't working with my 9800pro so I'm just using the microsoft 9800pro version, surprisingly Vista discovered 90% of my devices (all except the nforce2 Audio and nforce 3com ethernet driver) but fortunately the XP driver installs that I had backed up are working with Vista so that's a good thing seeing that most of the hardware I'm dealing with is 4+ years old. The old rig is running rather pleasantly with the new OS no sluggishness whatsoever so far knock on wood. If this can last until spring when I give this machine an overhaul I'll be happy as long as I can reactivate easily after rebuilding this machine.

Now that that's all done, time to go back to the family discount page and get my two premium licenses for my laptops and do this all over again, since they already have dedicated MCE 2005 OS's (meaning their install disks only work with their laptops) I'll just do a clean install from within MCE to upgrade them and take the loss of the stock MCE 2005 OS's, gotta love it.
    As lng as you have the discs , you can go back to the mce install if you decide you don't like Vista.

Seems Vistas Family discount is issuing invalid product keys. Check it out before you jump!

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal View Post
    ^^You know. Like a serious pirate is gonna say..."Oh Ill do the package plan and beat em out of two copies...oooh I just won big"
    The serious pirate already is in his 3rd distribution.
    He doesnt need anything from Best Buy. An he sure as hell isnt gonna fork over 300 for some family plan.
    You know, serious pirates buy/copy stuff as soon as they can get their hands on it and then make a huge amount of copies of it to sell on the streets. Buying it is chicken feed, given the amount of money they make on it. I remember visiting a computer shop in Malaysia and talking to some guys who were having their multi CD burner fixed. They came up with a range of excuses before they admitted they were pirates. After that they were quite candid. Interesting chatting with them.