Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

PCPER Linux Users by Distro

I just thought it might be helpful, both for new/potential linux users(I would expect more as Vista comes more to light, alot of my non techie friends are even asking me about Linux) and for the more experienced users as well to see who here at PCPER uses what distro. Alot of questions/comments/concerns with linux are distro specific and this might help someone who is having a problem know who to turn to.

Not to mention its always fun to see what distro is most popular in a specific area :P

I'll edit this original post with everyone's info just for ease of readability.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

DEB based Linux

Ubuntu
    Captain_Stormy
    Patrick@WSMR

Kubuntu
    Shadco

Mepis
    Frank1946
    Christop54

RPM based Linux

PCLinuxOS
    StompinRound
    FastGame

CENTOS
    Ned Slider
    parn

FC6
    Parn

Suse
    MrAnonymous
    bonso

Other Linux

Gentoo
    Spankin Partier

ArchLinux
    culinist

Other Unix Based

Solaris
    Patrick@WSMR
    Last edited by Captain_Stormy; 02-03-2007 at 04:55 PM.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750

Re: PCPER Linux Users by Distro

MEPIS 6.04 beta 4 with roots in Debian, but Ubuntu based. And no doubt 6.04 final when it is released.
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

me

PCLinuxOS - its and Mandrake/Mandriva fork, RPM based

currently in limbo...with the release of 2007 Test 1 last week (a complete core redesign) rendering the prior versions obsolete and the Test version with LOTS of bugs (but still more stable than my Windows machine) being locked down for rework to be done on 2007 Test 2, before the final will be released

Great Idea

I'm RPM/Red Hat based (CentOS), but I may try Ubuntu at some point if I can get my head around apt-get

Thanks Ned

Personally I don't see how people use anything but apt-get systems. I tried using several RPM based systems in the past since on paper(or on LCD i suppose) they sounded the easiest to use. But I never could quite get it. I then found Debian and was happy with that untill I tried ubuntu, which is just icing on the cake for me.

but as always YMMV.

i am about like Ned i guess when it comes to apt-get, i never could figure it allout

mine with an rpm, all i do is double click it to install just like a windows .exe

of course, got to check the dependencies of the proggie 1st, unless it is avialiable via synaptic update which resolves the dependencies for you

which as i understand it, PCLinuxOS is a RPM distro that uses apt-get with a Synaptic GUI front end

With me, I guess it's just laziness. I learnt RPM so I know how to use it and am comfortable with it. From what I've read, apt-get isn't hugely different, just I'd have to learn something new. Plus, recently the widespread introduction of YUM has made using RPM-based systems far easier for many users.

If I were starting out now from scratch, I must admit I'd probably find Ubuntu quite appealing, but please don't take that as a recommendation though... users should always try a few different distros and come to their own conclusions. I guess it's also a flavour of the month type thing. At one time or another, gentoo, Suse, debian, Fedora, Mepis, Arch and Ubuntu (etc) have all been popular choices with users here.

But the point of this thread, to let new users know what everyone is using here, makes a lot of sense. It's far easier for us to help if we are familiar with the product. Maybe once everyone has answered and you've compiled a semi finished list, we should sticky it for new users

I started out using RPM based OS (Mandrake). But then I moved on to Debian. That was really nice.

But just recently I switched my main machine over to Gentoo. Gentoo uses Portage as it's package management system. It tends to be much slower for installing applications then Apt-get and RPM based systems. But you end up with a more 'customized' applications for your system.

I've ran a couple of Gentoo servers for a few years now. So I was used to the Gentoo way of doing things.

Compliance does tend to make a person stick with what they know no doubt about that

The reason i didn't like RPMs and I do like apt-get is without a doubt dependency. And even thou Ive heard many times that RPMs are better about that these days, im comfy with apt-get. Lazy, complacent depends on how you look at it I suppose.

And yea, stickying it would be a good idea once its a bit more complete. Ill work on trying to make it look a bit nicer too. My idea for this thread actually came at me last night after talking to a local friend of mine. Theres a annoying but meaningless bug in ubuntu, and as far as I know its only in ubuntu. It gives you a message that you need to set a certain permission level on your home directory for the user. Well if you look you already have the permission level. Its one simple command line command to make the message go away, but only another ubuntu user would ever even know what your talking about if you were asking about the problem.

If you copy and paste your completed first post into a new thread when you're ready, and then lock it and let a mod know, it can be stickied. At that point you can update it whenever you want to add to or update it. That way we don't have all this OT discussion cluttering up your nice new sticky

Hi, what do I do ? C&P what ?

lol, not you me :P

Ill do that this weekend sometime ned. Thanks

Ubuntu 6.10 on two boxes and IPCop (does that even count)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Stormy View Post
    lol, not you me :P

Ill do that this weekend sometime ned. Thanks
    Cool - whenever, no rush. If you lock the thread after you've made the post, at that point no one can add to it, but you will still be able to unlock it, make changes and lock it again. The reason you can do this is because you are the thread starter. Then you can leave this thread in place, maybe a good idea to link to it from your sticky, that way folks can continue to post here with additions/updates and either you or a mod can update the sticky. Hope all that makes sense

Of course the other way to do it would have been a poll, but that gives you far less flexibility because you can't edit once people have voted, so if a year down the line everyone is using Whoopee Linux 2008 you have no way to reflect that. Your way is better

Suse 9.3

Have Ubuntu and Fedora Core 5 that I plan to install in a new system later.