Storage HD and Vista

So i have a storage HD that was formatted to NTFS using my windows xp setup, which i still have. I recently got Vista and installed it on a seperate HD and havent hooked up my storage HD because i am afraid Vista might mess up some of the files or delete them. My question is can i hook up my storage HD to my Vista HD and there be no problems? Also would i be able to hook my storage HD back to my windows xp setup too after its been hooked up to my Vista set up? Thanks

Re: Storage HD and Vista

No one had an idea? I find that a little hard to believe. A little insight is all im looking for!Thanks

I cant imagine that Vista would do anything to your storage drive, but I since I havent tried Vista, and have no need to for the foreseeable future, I cant guarantee anything. But if both drives are NTFS, it should work just fine. I swap storage drives from W2K around in my current XP install with no issues at all.

I've had Vista read my old NTFS drives and xp/2000/2003 (forgot which machine I tested on) read my vista install and all seems well. Then again I don't know if it will do funky stuff with media files but regular disk ops seems OK. Search the web a bit and see if you can find any compability issues between different versions of NTFS then you'll know if there are any dos and donts between different versions.
    Last edited by bonso; 02-06-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Both are NTFS so there shouldn't be a problem. I have connected my external drive without problems.

Same here, no issues reading across different operating systems on different machines, at least with discs formatted NTFS.