Problem xp on old computer causes restarts and 'Stop error screen'

I am trying to install XP on my old computer; Asus P5A-B Motherboard, 500 AMD processor. The computer just crashes and restarts at any given time.

Other times I get these blue Stop error screens such as: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

BAD_POOL_CALLER.

If this is the first time you've seen this screen... follow these steps:

Check new hdwr sftwr is properly installed...ask hdwr/sftwr manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If probs continue, disable or remove any newly installed hdwr/sftwr. Disable BIOS memory options such as cashing or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode for this, restart and press F8 to select Advance Startup Options.

Technical Information: *** STOP: 0x000000C2 (0x00000007, 0x00000CD4, etc...

I don't have much in the way of programs installed. I am trying to get my old Scanjet 6100C scanner to work on it. XP doesn't seem to have this scanner's driver. I have a driver that I got from drivers.com. It all seems to work OK on my laptop.

Could the problem be in the BIOS or something? Should I try installing XP again, without the scanner plugged in?
    tinkering

Re: xp on old computer causes restarts and 'Stop error screen'

BAD_POOL_CALLER is usually a bad driver. Could also be bad memory. I've also seen AMD (K6 & K7) processors that are overheating cause this error.

Have you tried this driver for the scanner: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=58977&lang=en

I believe that is the driver that has worked for me in the past. I will try to get a clean xp install and then try that driver in there. I will make sure the fresh xp install is functioning properly before I attempt to install the scanner and driver.
    What can I do in reguards to "bad memory'. How do I know if the processor is overheating?
    tinkering

Quote Originally Posted by tinkering View Post
    I believe that is the driver that has worked for me in the past. I will try to get a clean xp install and then try that driver in there. I will make sure the fresh xp install is functioning properly before I attempt to install the scanner and driver.
    What can I do in reguards to "bad memory'. How do I know if the processor is overheating?
    Personally, I fail to understand not using the driver supplied directly by the manufacturer, unless there are features inherent in drivers obtained elsewhere that are absent in the manufacturer's set.

For memory: http://www.memtest.org/

For cpu overheating, the first thing to check would be whether the heatsink and fan are clear of dust and the fan is spinning freely.

I seem to have gotten an XP install that is working; I have navigated around the start menu and opened a bunch of the XP programs. It hasn't crashed once yet. I haven't tried installing the scanner yet. I am going to try. What order should I install things? Scanner hardware then scanner software then driver?

I will download the scanner driver straight from the manufacturer site. I agree that sounds like the most logical place to get it.
    I will try the memory test when I get the old computer online. It wasn't that long ago that I blew the inside of the computer out. The fan seems to be freewhelling. It sounds healthy.
    Last edited by tinkering; 01-13-2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add ons
    tinkering

HP software usually likes for you to install the software & driver first and then the hardware, but I can't speak specifically about the 6100C.

I will go that sequence and hope the ScanJet 6100C likes it that way too.
    tinkering

I had a lot of trouble trying to find and install a driver for my SYM53C416 SCSI card. Everything was always being very unstable with crashes and restarts etc. This SCSI card came with my old ScanJet 6100C scanner; XP doesn't support this scanner or SCSI card, in the way of drivers or any other software. I was just about ready to try to locate the upgrade SCSI card which LSI Logic (formerly Symbios) supports; the SYM20810. Instead, I downloaded a fresh copy of 416W2K from driverguide. It seems to be working stable and quite quick now! I then installed the sj167en.exe software that I downloaded right from the HP site rather than using the original installation cd. Then I shut down and plugged in the scanner and fully warmed it up before I booted the computer. Windows found the new hardware and yahoo!!! I did get a window though, that said some windows files had been replaced and I should put the xp installation cd back in or else windows could become very unstable. I did that and it all seems to work.
    tinkering