Does anybody have any problems with Vista and VIA chipsets??

On all the systems our company has built with Vista we have had no problems. Vista would install on pretty much all the motherboards, and other hardware just fine. Just recently we built a few systems with P5W DH and Quad Core CPUs (4gigs RAM, 8800GTX). The PC would boot and load Vista in less than a minute .

However, the only hardware we have been having problem with is the Asus P5VDC board. It has a VIA chipset. The problem we are having is that it can't install the High Definition Audio codec (powered by, you guessed it, Realtek). The sound would work just fine. It can still play MP3s, 2-channel stereo, etc. According to Vista, it tells us that there are not enough resources, whatever that means. Funny thing is, the realtek codec that is on the motherboard is the same on other boards that we installed Vista on without a problem.

I'm just posting this to see if there is anybody out there with a motherboad that has a VIA chipset and Vista, and they are having problems with the OS.

This is definitely an MS issue. Just hope MS comes out with a fix for it soon.

Re: Does anybody have any problems with Vista and VIA chipsets??

This is a Realtek issue, not a VIA issue. Have you tried installing the codecs from the Realtek site? I noticed that ASUS don't have Vista drivers for the P5VDC boards yet. Realtek Driver link here.

I have Vista RC1 on a VIA rig and it seems pretty solid to me. VIA have pretty good Vista driver support already.

I did forget to mention that we did go to Realtek's site but it looks like we didn't dig deep enough for it. THanks for the link! We'll give it a shot.

I assumed it was a VIA chipset problem because on other motherboards that have the exact same realtek codec chip installed just fine.

Anyway, thanks for the link!

yes it ran ok on this via board, video-ti4600-was the only issue that it brought up.
    a7n8x-d2.8.msi 5900 and diamond 7.1 sound using digital out.1g xms 3200c2 mem, liteon dvd burner. Been using ubuntu-no windiz.

I was and still using sb audiogy instead of onboard snd.
    a7n8x-d2.8.msi 5900 and diamond 7.1 sound using digital out.1g xms 3200c2 mem, liteon dvd burner. Been using ubuntu-no windiz.