Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem Win 2k CD ROM Device Mgr woes

So I am helping my friend with his Win2k pro system on a soyo motherboard. I am not sure if all the hardware matters but .. we recently reinstalled win2k and the CD ROMS do not show up in My Computer. In device manager they are there but with exclaimation points next to them. He cannot find the driver disks for them and he was having the same problem before we reinstalled win2k. He says he thinks he DID have ez cd creator once installed on here. I followed the directions to remove the Key values in Regedt32 found here. This did not work Both cd roms show up in the bios when booting and " obviously we used the cdrom to reinstall windows "

The Error message is code 19 in device mgr.

Simply stating that " my registry may be corrupted "

I dont think so ... not sure how to fix that in this OS if it is.
    However, the problem persists. Any suggestions? Please help. I am almost at my wits end with this.

Re: Win 2k CD ROM Device Mgr woes

yea I have had that problem with Roxio and their stupid drivers .
    You might try uninstalling ( if you have Windows Media player 9 ) and /or installing windows player 9 . Short of that the only other fix I know of is a fresh install of windows
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

First try disconnecting one of the CDROM drives (physically disconnecting the data cable, THEN removing it from device manager), it might be just a conflict, especially if both drives are installed on the same IDE port. However not common, I saw it happen before.
    If the remaining drive gets to work properly after that, you can try reinstalling the first one on other port, or reversing the Master/Slave jumpers, as some (very rare in my experience) drives don´t like to work together as Master/Slave but will do fine as Slave/Master.
    ***STILL WITH THE DARK SIDE, BUT PLANNING TO GO BACK TO AMD SOON ***

C2D E6400/ GA-P35-DS3 / HD4670

I believe it is a registry issue. Try the suggestion in this post:
    http://forums.pcper.com/showpost.php...65&postcount=4

Let us know if that works

Mj did not read my first post all the way thru I did try that and it did not work for me. ... but thank you for the advice.. I will try the other two suggestions later tonight, thank you.

OK I just wanted you to know that so far I have tried your suggestions and nothing worked. Does this mean another reinstall?

Strange that the proposed Registry edit worked for so many, but not for this computer.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    Last edited by Yeah; 02-08-2007 at 04:43 PM. Reason: added

Sorry. Do you have Roxio still installed on your PC? Uninstall it, then uninstall (not delete) the devices from Device Manager. Run CCleaner to (hopefully) clean up any remaining Roxio registry entries and restart the PC.

How are the drives connected to the PC? Both on the same IDE cable? How are they jumpered? Using CS? Master/Slave? Which drive is the Master - the one at the end of the cable?

I don't think a Repair Install will help in this situation. Every time I've seen this error on CD drives and tried to reinstall, it stalls part the way through looking for the drives or files on the CD's.

There are 2 Hard drives on the primary IDE cable both set to cable select.

I just noticed that the second hard drive only comes up if I RESTART the computer and not if I cold boot. The slave drive on the primary IDE cable (on the second connector (not the end)) Sometimes does not display in the bios either. Maybe cable? or poor connection. The second hard drive is mine I stuck on there for some extra room for him. I did what you suggested. There are no copies of any cd rom burning software on this computer. I uninstalled the driver.. Then ran CCleaner .. rebooted .. The system picked up the drive (as I removed one drive) and acted like it was installing software for the CDRW however, it was inaccessible and displayed a yellow exclaimation in device manager (code 19).

There were already 2 CD ROM drives connected to the secondary IDE channel when I started working on it. One drive 52x with no markings for the jumper was on the second (slave) connector on the secondary IDE channel. I have now taken that CD ROM out completely.

The Sony CDRW that was on the master connector (the end of the cable) was set to Cable Select on the jumpers. I removed that CD ROM (temporarily) rebooted, ran ccleaner (it found nothing).

I then Re-Connected the Sony CDRW to the end connector and set the jumper to Master. Rebooted. This did not work either (code 19)

leave the 1 cd rom set at master(center pins) and set the jumper to the third set of pins(nearest the ide cable).

boot and watch boot screen to be sure both drives show. if it doesn't, try another cable.

boot and enter device manager. if the driver hasn't installed, uninstall both drives and reboot.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by uddarts View Post
    leave the 1 cd rom set at master(center pins) and set the jumper to the third set of pins(nearest the ide cable).

boot and watch boot screen to be sure both drives show. if it doesn't, try another cable.

boot and enter device manager. if the driver hasn't installed, uninstall both drives and reboot.

ud
    I just wanted to clarify for you that:

1. I'll leave the 52x CD ROM out completely (If we get this working he wants a DVDRW in there anyway.

2. The SONY CDRW is in there and the bios detects it windows 2k does not (still)

3. The Slave Drive I threw on there for him for a little extra space does not always come up in the BIOS in which case, windows does not see it either obviously.

4. I recently noticed problem 3 above. As I've been rebooting like crazy. Sometimes, even when the bios DOES see the second slave Hard Drive on the primary IDE cable, windows does not see it.

I'd start by not using Cable Select. Manually assign jumpers on all IDE devices to Master/Slave. Remember that on the 80 core IDE cables , Master is the end connector and Slave is the middle connector.

I've seen faulty IDE devices cause others not to detect properly. Obviously the same applies to cables. For troubleshooting, I recommend you use only one device on each IDE channel. Use his HDD as Primary Master and then try either of the CDROM drives as Secondary Master - one at a time.

Which drive did you install Windows with?

You might also like to consider testing both HDD's with their manufacturer's diagnostics tools. What brand are they?

Also what is the make/model of your mate's motherboard?

I should say that " I " did not reinstall windows with him. He did it himself after not being able to use his cd Rom drives and he wanted to dual boot Ubuntu. Ubuntu sees the drives just fine by the way.

I will set the jumpers accordingly for the devices.

He says he installed Ubuntu and Windows off of the 52x CDROM that has no markings that I dont plan on sticking back in.

The CDRW is currently in there being detected by the BIOS but not by the OS.

I will test the the Hard Drives. One I think is Seagate and the other I think is Maxtor. ( I will Verify this in awhile )

His motherboard is a Soyo Dragon KT 400. And yes I installed the latest Via 4n1's.

Thanks for all the help.

I suppose if Ubuntu "sees" the drives, if that means both of them work fine in Ubuntu, we can rule out hardware conflits/problems. Bad drivers or some sort of registry corruption seem more likely from this point.
    ***STILL WITH THE DARK SIDE, BUT PLANNING TO GO BACK TO AMD SOON ***

C2D E6400/ GA-P35-DS3 / HD4670

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah View Post
    I should say that " I " did not reinstall windows with him. He did it himself after not being able to use his cd Rom drives and he wanted to dual boot Ubuntu. Ubuntu sees the drives just fine by the way.

I will set the jumpers accordingly for the devices.

He says he installed Ubuntu and Windows off of the 52x CDROM that has no markings that I dont plan on sticking back in.

The CDRW is currently in there being detected by the BIOS but not by the OS.

I will test the the Hard Drives. One I think is Seagate and the other I think is Maxtor. ( I will Verify this in awhile )

His motherboard is a Soyo Dragon KT 400. And yes I installed the latest Via 4n1's.

Thanks for all the help.
    If he installed with the 52x CDROM, I'd swap out the CDRW with that to see if the CDRW may be at fault. Brand names don't exempt hardware from failure Does the BIOS detect the 52x drive correctly? How about Windows? Make sure the CDRW isn't connected to the PC when you do this.

What bothers me most of the symptoms described is the fact that the IDE channels were configured via Cable Select for the reinstall of the Windows OS. Just because Ubuntu sees the drives correctly doesn't mean that a Microsoft OS product will.
    I would suggest using only one hard drive jumpered to Primary Master, and either of the opticals on Secondary Master, and reinstalling W2K.

It just sounds like the kind of symptoms you'd experience if you were OC'ing, where you really can't quite logically explain the ensuing results. But factoring in the Direct-Memory-Access quotion between Optical Drives/Memory/Hard Drives, might help explain?

For a new build I usually take/use the following precautions/procedures:
    -PS/2 mouse and keyboard, no USB. Don't even think of connecting to a KVM.
    -Disconnect any NIC/LAN cables.Stand-alone only.

End of blabbering.....just my 2 cents worth!

As soon as he locates the Win 2k disk, I will wipe the drive and reinstall windows. I shouldnt have any problems reinstalling windows with ubuntu on the second partition should I? I dont want to blow away his Ubuntu. I've just never installed an OS with another OS being on the second partition is all.