Angry No display new mobo installation

I'm nearing my wits end. I purchased two new mobos: an MSI K9N4 SLI and an EPOX AF550GPro. I also bought a new AMD X2 4200+ and OCZ Gold XTC dual channel memory (2 gig, 2 sticks) - and a new video card (Foxconn GeForce 7300GT).

Bottom line: couldn't get either board to show display. The EPOX has a post code readout on board that indicated a memory issue (C 1).

Because I had started the upgrade process because of a similar issue on a Chaintech mobo (VNF4 with an AMD 3800), I thought that the problem might be related to the power supply (I told you I'm at wit's end). So I replaced the power supply with a new 650 watt Antec).

Results: Same. Power is on. Fan is working. No display.

Is it the ram? Is it the processor? Is it bad mojo.

Help me please.

Paul

Re: No display new mobo installation

did you unplug the psu and clear the bios/cmos?

plugged in the p4 connector?

try 1 stick of mem at a time.

ud

Thanks for the advice. I'm not familiar with the abbreviations, but I can tell you:

1. I cleared the CMOS
    2. I had unplugged everything a couple of times and reinstalled everything a couple of times.
    3. I tried one stick of ram, but didn't try both sticks that way - so I will.
    4. The four pin and the 24 pin are plugged in (and on the EPOX board I also plugged in the "video" power plug on that board.

Paul

well we tried the usual suspects, so now we wait for the rest to chime in. sorry the easy fixes didn't work.

ud

can do!

ud

it's in the mail and you can dispose of your email addy if you wish.
    Last edited by uddarts; 02-09-2007 at 03:06 PM.

One other simple check, since you have two boards any-hoo... is to try to run the equipment on an anti-static / anti-electric surface such as a board or counter top outside of a case and simply try to get it to POST with just the MB, CPU, Memory (1 stick), Powersupply, and Video Card. No drives.

Just for verification sake, you are aware of how you can ground the motherboard with stand-offs, right? (I am not sure of your building experience, so please let us know if you are not aware of what that means)
    Big Head
    Q6600 - 2.4GHz
    ASUS P5Q SE/R
    2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2800
    2x80GB WD Sata Drive in RAID0
    1x120GB Seagate Sata
    Sapphire Radeon 3870 512MB DDR4
    Audigy Value

Thanks for the advice. I don't know what stand-offs are. Please advise.

Paul

The stand-offs are the posts in the case that your motherboard screws down to. If one of them is in the wrong place, it can and will short out traces on the back side of the board. Removing the board from the case and running it that way will verify that you dont have a problem there. One word of caution: Dont place the board on an anti-static bag such as the one it came in. Those bags are actually conductive on the outside, that is how they keep the static away from the inside of the bag.