Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Internet Explorer / Firefox?

Hey folks.

Im interested in taking a leap onto the Firefox bandwagon. I used it for a while about 2 years ago at university, when my flatmate customised and refined it - and it run really well, a lot faster than windows explorer.

I also have firefox on my laptop, but running comparisons, it seems to be a lot slower than IE...

What would the PCper people recommend? Should I stick with IE or go for Firefox? And anyone got any good tips for using/customising firefox to make it run faster? My PC and laptop are not slouches - and im upgrading my PC over the weekend. It saddens me in the comparisons to see IE go *ping* webpage loaded and for firefox to go *ping.. oh wait a mo. *boxes form as it loads images and text a piece at a time* ... there ya go!*

etc
    Athlon 64+ 3700 Sandiego
    Asus a8n sli-delux Mobo
    1gb OCZ EB Pc3200 Ram
    36Gb WD Raptor
    2x120Gb Seagate Baracudda STRIPED RAID
    7900GT XFX graphics

Re: Internet Explorer / Firefox?

I use both FF and IE 7. Neither is perfect in my opinion.
    If Im going to spend time here? Ill use IE because of how FF loads left hand ads can be a distraction. [we talked about that issue in Suggestions Forum]

I used Fx 2.0.0.1 and IE7 (64bits Edition -under Vista Ultimate x64).. prefer Fx 2 more..

I use FF mainly. There are times when I use IE7 and Opera, but very very slim and now to the point where I have a specific home page for each of those that I use about once a week to check something - the two pages quite simply don't work in FF.

It also matters what operating system you are running. I've found Firefox to be blazingly fast under linux, but I've found about 4 or 5 sites that I visit regularly that are much slower (5-15 seconds ) when loading under Windows with Firefox.

I became a pretty devote Firefox user when A) I got tired of spyware in IE
    and B) I installed the adblock plus extension (see below)

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1865/

I LOVE blocking ad frames.

At work, I find myself using Opera more because I love how it keeps session state when I close it.

Personally:

- Firefox has a build in spellcheck.
    - Firefox after configuring it a bit loads the websites much faster than IE6, 7.
    - Firefox can organize bookmarks much better than IE 6, 7.
    - Firefox uses slightly more resources but can be greatly customized.

Firefox is my choice.
    Version 2.0.0.1 is running very smoothly for me, not a single issue so far.

Hope this helps

Firefox will get update to version 2.0.0.2 very soon but it not release yet after it found one unpatch in 2.0.0.1 by someone -- Mozilla teams are looking at this.

I like MSIE7.
    "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly and I did. I said I didn't know."

- Mark Twain - Life on the Mississippi

I Served Too - Notable entertainers who served in the military

I'm another advocate for using a blend of FF, IE and Opera. Personally I find the IE7 layout annoying so I use FF most of the time. Sometimes Opera is better, depending on what I'm doing. I only use IE now when I visit a page that doesn't function properly without it. FF and Opera are that small it doesn't really make a major difference if you install them both. I say try them all out, see what suits. My Dad loves Netscape. I don't see why. A loyalty thing I guess. I can't stand it. Too slow. Bloated. Cumbersome.

Firefox all the way. Tons of guide all over the net that help you tweak it.

Im using Firefox on x86 Vista Business, definitely loads quicker than IE.

For addons, all I use is, adblock, forecast fox, and flash got.

And a few config tweaks for loading sites.

None of them are perfect; I use FF on my home computer and IE7 on my work computer.
    Say hello to my little friend

I was a Firefox devotee until IE7. I feel kinda guilty

I use IE7 when sites do not load or work well when under FireFox. People say that is because IE7 allows for website with broken codes to load, but this is more of a fanboy debate than it is fact. IE has native Jscript, VBscript, etc. mainly because MS owns it. This is why most corporate websites work better under IE (if you have corporate email, etc.), than in FF.

Overall. Now that you have choices, just use whichever one fits most or all your needs the best.

I use IE 7 and lock it down. I disable most scripting, java, etc. Probably one of the fastest browsers I have used.

I still use FF occasionally at work for testing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter256 View Post
    People say that is because IE7 allows for website with broken codes to load, but this is more of a fanboy debate than it is fact. needs the best.
    Actually its not a fanboy debate. Being a software consultant and doing a lot of web related development I can tell you that IE renders things it should not. IE does not strictly follow HTML or Javascript or VB script conventions. Something may load and work fine in IE but will not load at all in any other browser.

The reason for this is that IE was written when the internet was still in its infancy. There were no standards to follow for HTML or for scripting as they were still being developed. This is one of the strengths of IE, pretty much its only strength these days IMO.

As a side note, a lot of the web forms that require to you use IE would actually work fine in other browsers. They just do a browser check and don't allow you to continue on anything but IE.

I personally prefer FF. Its customizable, more hardened against spyware, and I can throw on extensions to block flash and ads and all that type of stuff.
    Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme4
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell
    RAM: 8GB Mushkin DDR3
    HDD1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 120GB SSD
    RAID 1 Array: Mushkin Enhanced ECO2 512GB SSD x 2
    PSU: CORSAIR CX750