dual channel and ddr2 speeds

Oh the joys of building a new computer!

I'm presently looking to build a new computer based around a dual core amd chip. I've never had to deal with dual channel or ddr2 memory before and I have some questions.

1. If I purchase a dual channel motherboard, do I have to run two sticks of matching memory, or can I just run one stick - say 512 mb - and then purchase another stick later?

2. There are so many ddr2 speeds! If I buy a mobo thats rated for dd2 800, can I use ddr2 667 or any lower rated ddr2 memory in the mobo?

Re: dual channel and ddr2 speeds

1. No and Yes. FYI: They even make "non-dual channel" boards anymore.

2. Yes.

Best to buy two now. You never know whether what you buy now will be available later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Drisler View Post
    Best to buy two now. You never know whether what you buy now will be available later on.
    RAM chip availabilty changes so much that I agree you should bite the bullet and get a kit of two matching memory sticks now.

I would not recommend less that a 2gb kit at this time. You can use it in XP (it does help) and will need at least that much for Vista in the future. In XP running games and when running mutliple apps you will see an improvement.
    If I can help with an OCZ product or if you just need some advice PM me!

EMAIL ME HERE
    WWW.OCZ.COM

This is an especially good time to purchase RAM anyway. Prices are really dropping. This summer, newer, faster chipsets will be appearing that will require signifigantly more expensive DDR21066 and DDR31333. Good time to buy.
    BIOSTAR TPower I45-E7300-Zalman 9500-GeIL Ultra-Sapphire HD3870 Xfire-Seagate Drives-Antec 300-22" BenQ-W7
    abit IP35 PRO-E8600-Thermalright HR01 Plus-KHX-Sapphire HD4870T-Seagate Drives-Antec 300 w UGuru Panel-22" LG-XP Pro
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe-Q6700-TRUE BE-Noctua Fan-Corsair Dominator-Sapphire HD4870 2GB-WD Black Drives-CM690-40" Bravia V-W7
    POWER BY PC POWER & COOLING

by that time, the prices on those will go down.

once ddr3 is out (and rumor is both amd and intel are switching at the same time) later this year, DDR2 could likely go up.
    Q6600
    8GB corsair XMS DDR2
    MSI K9N Platinum 780i
    2*Evga 8800GT at 650Mhz (factory)
    x-fi Platinum
    150GB Raptor, 2TB Others
    Corsair 650W PSU
    Lian Li PC65 case