No Post - is it the motherboard?

This is probably my eighth build and the first that has presented a significant problem. Here's the main component list:

MB = Gigabyte GA-M55SLI-S4
    CPU = AMD|A64 X2 3800+
    MEM = 1G x 2 of G. SKill F2-6400
    PSU = Hiper 580W
    Video card = ASUS EN7600GS 512M

--------------------------------

I know I have power to the motherboard because the CPU fan is running, but I'm getting no POST beeps and my monitor is not getting a signal from the video card. How do I isolate the problem if I need to RMA either the motherboard or the CPU? Am I correct in thinking that I should get POST beeps with just the CPU and cooler connected to the MB if everything is working properly? I went back to that point and then added the video card. Didn't add drives or keyboard but it seems that shouldn't matter if the board and CPU are functionaing properly. Am I right about that?

TIA for your help,
    richard

Re: No Post - is it the motherboard?

Well one way to test the components is if you have another system around to swap out cpu, video card into other machine just to rule out which component is bad. Cant really say which one is the culprit, could be the board could be the cpu.

WC

Knowledge is SCARY,Stupidity is REALLY frightening.

Yeah, that is about the only way I know of too. From my experience, either condition will cause the computer not to post.

Try borrowing a processor from your job IT dept. or a friend. Good Luck:-)

I heard that some Gigabyte motherboards comes with broken or cheap quality semi conductors which causes all these power and post issues.

my old motherboard had a similar problem. it will fail to post if left OFF (from the outlet) for more than 2 hours.

Currently i am using a K8nf 9 ultra 2.0
    Signature removed by moderator

I understand where you are coming from. I am currently trying my third GA-M59SLI-S5 with the same problem. First one would not even power up. Number 2 and 3 will power up but will not post or give any kind of error beeps.

I am using an AMD X2 5200+. I keep wondering if perhaps the motherboard can not, or will not, recognize the processor. I've done all the same things you did to try and remedy the problem. My last resort will be letting a friend that has the same board up and running test the components. After that I will go back to ASUS or MSI.

Hope all works out well for you. I will post what information I get from my friend and see if it might help you and others experiencing these problems.

This is also my 4th or 5th build and the first time I have had so many problems getting a system up.

I have a ga 7vax board and it ha no post either when installin XP , I reformat it and it takes win98 like butter and runs good , the processor temp is 29-30 and it had win xp on it first .Checked Ram and Hard drive all good , not over temp so Im sort of lost I cleaned the semi conductor grease off the processor and still the same . I sent Gigabyte an email a week ago still no answer . Last gigabyte board for me .. any Ides, sounds ike all the same problems Bruce T

I bought the same board from Newegg. It wasn't until 4 months later that i took it out of the box and put it in the machine i was building. But it would hum quietly for about 5-10 seconds when i turned it on, and then the fans would kick on. but nothing else happened.
    I RMA'ed it back to newegg and got a new one, a new revision. I hooked up the board outside of case with cpu, fan and sink and memory. It started the first time. But now after a couple of days, it takes sooooo long to start up. From POST to whenever i get a choice of which OS to launch has to be 3 minutes, if i even get to the boot loader.
    If anyone has an idea why this happens, please, do share. This is gonna be one big expensive paper weight otherwise.